Upstairs Studio Build - Pics

robn

A Muse Zen
Here's some photos of my studio build....it's upstairs above the garage....it started out as an unfinished bonus room when we built our house 8 years ago...didn't even any flooring at that time. This build can also be found in much greater detail in the "Studio build in unfinished "bonus room" above garage" thread.....

House when being built 8 years ago:
housebuild5.jpg

housebuild2.jpg

housebuild4.jpg

Before insulation:
studio0712_2.jpg

studio0712_4.jpg

studio0712_11.jpg

studio9.jpg

studio8.jpg

Insulation going in:
FILE547.jpg

FILE539.jpg

Tie in to plenum for HVAC return:
FILE520.jpg

Baffle box for HVAC:
FILE507.jpg

Taken tonight, getting things wrapped up for drywall this weekend:
studio15.jpg

studio16.jpg

studio17.jpg

studio18.jpg

studio19.jpg

studio20.jpg

studio21.jpg

studio22.jpg

Putty Pads around outlets
studio23.jpg

studio24.jpg

Oh Americans and your crazy wooden houses. =P Looks pretty damn cool though. Very roomy. Will be cool to see what the finished studio looks like. =]

They're built pretty much the same way here in Canada, which of course is where the Americans get their wood from.

Canadian wood being some of the best there is of course. =] Luthiers love it just as much.
We build our houses with concrete, cinder blocks and bricks. Some of the older and/or more expensive ones use stone too. But then, that's one thing that is great about all your wooden houses. They are very cheap.

They're built pretty much the same way here in Canada, which of course is where the Americans get their wood from.
It's obvious you've never been to Oregon.

But then, that's one thing that is great about all your wooden houses. They are very cheap.
Cheap? Ask Robyn if he thinks his house payment is cheap. :rolleyes: And btw, when's the last time you built a "brick" house. Here is Robyns...ahem.."wood" house.

is.php?i=706&img=Dormer.jpg

Hey Robin, guess I'll have to update to match.:D

is.php.jpg
is.php?i=703&img=Vertical_Sectio.jpg
is.php?i=702&img=Vert_Sect_DETAI.jpg

Looking good my friend. Nice putty pack work.

Hey, what did you finally end up doing for the ceiling/roof gap venting? How bout the floor, and rear wall too?

Cheap? Ask Robyn if he thinks his house payment is cheap

Ahem.......love the house, hate the house payment....nuff said :D

Hey, what did you finally end up doing for the ceiling/roof gap venting?

Ran PVC pipe with vent holes from the soffit up thru each wall/roof cavity

How bout the floor, and rear wall too?

For the floor, I will be adding a 3/8" foam pad, then 23/32" OSB, then laminate sheeting, then laminate. I started to "float" a floor til I read more and determined it might not be such a good idea. As for rear wall, I don't know whether you are referring to the North wall (has a covered up window) or the South wall (which butts up against an existing room)......they are both done the same way....I built another wall about 10" inward, insulated the hell out of it, and will put 2 layers of drywall for the inner leaf.

Cheap compared to the same thing using brick. Believe me, you should feel good that you can get a house so awesome for whatever price it cost. Cos if you were over here, you'd not have nearly the same amount of space. The land to build on itself is gonna cost you an arm and leg. =P

Ran PVC pipe with vent holes from the soffit up thru each wall/roof cavity
I'm a little confused on that scenario. How far up the cavity do the PVC pipes go? As to the "rear wall"...I was referring to the "south wall"..where your entry door is. So, if memory serves, you still have the offset for the door, right? Being a moot point now, but this creates an asymmetrical rear wall(that is if the North wall is your engineering position)...which is why I was trying to come up with a way to make it "symmetrical" rear wall when I offered this solution...which also allowed for a small superchunk bass trap between the doors and one one each side at the partitions walls....

is.php?i=599&img=New_Rear_Wall_C.jpg

But like I said...moot point now. Although I do see an "after the fact" solution...but that's me. One of the essential CR priority's is "symmetrical" geometry, due to reflections. Given your space is pretty small though, I would assume you're just gonna trap the hell out of it...no? BTW, have you planned any sort of trapping/absorption scheme yet? Just curious.

Which reminds me...I didn't see a knee wall on one side...or are these old pics?

Well, it's nice to see you're making headway Robyn..vs me.:rolleyes: My projects seem to go on forever. There's always something taking up my time..like cleaning up after a snow storm last week. :eek::mad: Toppled about 15 or so trees..filled the back yard, my driveway, and half the road.:cursing: Sheeeesh. STILL cleaning up.:( Oh well, what else is new? Anyway, glad you updating your thread.
fitZ

I'm a little confused on that scenario. How far up the cavity do the PVC pipes go?
From the soffit boards and behind the insulation on each wall cavity, on the east and west walls, 8' high.

As to the "rear wall"...I was referring to the "south wall"..where your entry door is. So, if memory serves, you still have the offset for the door, right? Being a moot point now, but this creates an asymmetrical rear wall(that is if the North wall is your engineering position)...which is why I was trying to come up with a way to make it "symmetrical" rear wall when I offered this solution...which also allowed for a small superchunk bass trap between the doors and one one each side at the partitions walls....

I am not really able to do the symmetrical rear wall as pictured.....I could have angled the entry door that way but the other symmetrical side would have taken up some of my "liveable" square footage in the room......city code mandates that you must have 120 sq ft of living area with a roof line 5' or taller, and I was at 121 sq ft. It was close......so yes, I will have to do some trapping, and no, I haven't came up with anything yet....

Which reminds me...I didn't see a knee wall on one side...or are these old pics?

I only have one knee wall, it's the east wall. The west wall goes all the way to the floor.

Until you started posting these pics and now signing your name, I wasn't sure who I was talking to.........changed your username? Man, it's good to hear from you......you were really a big help when I was doing all this 3 years ago.......damn I can't believe it's been that long since I started this studio. Getting it done now though......dry walled this whole weekend and I'm whupped.......I have decided not to go into the dry walling business.

I'll keep you updated on the progress......good to hear from you bro........when I get it finished I'll send you a bottle of your favorite adult beverage!!!!

Until you started posting these pics and now signing your name, I wasn't sure who I was talking to
That was my intent. Can't be too careful these days.:D

Man, it's good to hear from you......you were really a big help when I was doing all this 3 years ago.......
Cool. At least SOMEBODY appreciates me..vs my wife.:laughings:

Well, for all intents and purposes...I think you've done an amazing amount of work Robn.

I am not really able to do the symmetrical rear wall as pictured...
No big deal. We ALL do what we can and may have to leave the "ideal" on the dreams pile. Welcome to the real world.;) oh, in regards to DIY studios, I believe it's name is BID(Building Inspection Department)

.damn I can't believe it's been that long since I started this studio.
Ha! You should be in my shoes. You'd think I was building the Titanic.:D

I'll keep you updated on the progress......good to hear from you bro........when I get it finished I'll send you a bottle of your favorite adult beverage!!!!
:eek: Outstanding. Pack it in 703 so my wife doesn't see it.:D Well, good luck with the rest of your project Robn. Hope you get to start recording soon. Somewhere along the line I seem to have forgot the purpose for which I started this project.:laughings:

Well. The Norwegians use a lot of wood as well, though, we have enough of our own wood : ) Some city buildings and hipster-designs includes concrete and bricks though.

Here are a few pics after drywalling:

studio30.jpg

studio31.jpg

studio32.jpg

studio33.jpg

studio34.jpg

Starting the taping:

studio35.jpg

studio36.jpg

First layer of mud (using 6" knife):

studio37.jpg

studio38.jpg

studio39.jpg

studio40.jpg

What's the brown/red putty on the electrical boxes, and what is it for?

I may be selling my home soon and one of the key features is my next home is a space to dedicate to music production. I'm imagining a slightly larger space for the artists, thier instruments and equipment with a smaller room next to it for my DAW, mixer/interface, monitors etc.

It's encouraging to see others following through with thier dreams, even if it takes a significant amount of time

Back