Three clips, need a fresh perspective

Okay, so I've been trying various techniques for best signal to noise ratio and (hopefully) sound quality improvement. The mic: a Audio Technica AT2020. The preamp/interface: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. In all three clips I used a pop filter. The recording software is N-Track Studio 6 and I used a Behringer Ultragain Mic 2200 for tube warmth and a Composer Pro MDX 2200 as a limiter; both in the Fast Track's insert point.

That's me singin' a Capella...

Clip 1 (I hope they're in the right order) was recorded next to the PC in the living room with the preamp set very low to cut out ambient noise. I'm right against the pop filter.

View attachment Near PC preamp low.mp3

Clip 2 was recorded in the bedroom, door closed, preamp set around 3 o'clock (It was around 1 o'clock near the PC). The Mic stand was placed on a foam rubber mat and I was standing about 2 feet from the mic.

View attachment Bedroom preamp 3 oclock door closed mic stand on rubber mat.mp3

Clip 3, same settings as clip 2, this time with a VoxGuard. I'm now aware that my windows are not sound proof...I could hear some machinery noise coming from outdoors ( and I'm on the 23rd floor!)

View attachment bedroom same settings w Voxguard.mp3

Back