The New Tone Thread

The midrange talk inspired me to do an A/B, then it went haywire with gain, so here are the results. Lol.

Angus SG - bridge pickup
Marshall JMP 2204
Bass - 5
Mid - varied
Treb - 7
Preamp vol - 10
Master vol - 4
Double clean boosted with a Boss SD-1 and a Tube Screamer because I'm retarded
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion G12-65
Senn e609 on axis, on grill, just a little past halfway to edge
No EQ or FX in DAW

So the point of all this....
Mids - 3

Mids - 7

Pardon the playing, this is not my thing. :laughings:
yeah .... a clear difference and I prefer the second clip .... I think it would be harder to get to sit in the mix and it would have to be a dominate part, couldn't just be in the background ..... but it has a body and fullness that I really like.

@ miner. Thats not a bad tone. Very southern rock. Got that 38 special thing going on. But I see where you would want something capabke of cleans. For 7 on the volume and only 1 on the pre.....
Man! Thats some saturation.
:D

I like the low-mids on that amp. When you do that little 1/4 step bend up on the A string 3rd fret, it sounds solid. That amp has a nice cut to it as well, like a Marshall...that punchy attack. It's not voiced like a Marshall at all, but it has that tight attack. But yeah holy hell if that's almost as much as it cleans up, then dayum!

Thanks man, it doesn't lack gain, that's for sure. I like it's cut & attack too, I can't capture it on "tape", but in the room, it reminds me a lot of the Chupacabra...There's supposed to be an EL34 version of this coming sometime this summer (I think)...That would probably be an awesome amp, no idea how much that'll cost though...

OK, here is my attempt at Greg's settings on my 10-year younger 2204. I don't have a SD1, but I do have a TS9. So I cranked the level and turned down the drive (although now that I look at it, I messed up and left the drive at about 3:00). Same settings that Greg used on the amp head (mids=7). Using my LP Classic with the Burstbucker Pro 1 & 2.

I tried something new as well. I just got a Sennheiser MD-421 ii last week so I could use it on my floor tom (where it fucking rocks, by the way). So I crammed it right next to an SM57 on the same speaker, using a stereo bar and a kick mic stand. I'm cautiously optimistic that this could work for better representations of what this cab actually sounds like. Each on their own doesn't sound like much, but I really like both of them together. Maybe its just the honeymoon period?

SM57

MD421

Both together

It was ugly:

007 (Large).JPG

008 (Large).JPG

Wow, I really like the MD421 by itself. I've been thinking about getting one of those. You may have just sealed the deal for me.

I'm surprised how fat your clips sound. I thought for sure you'd beat me with raunchy gloriously grinding upper mid attack being that yours is an 800. Maybe it's the speakers? I have no idea. Very interesting.

So, you had the drive at 3:00 on the TS? That's damn near full up distortion.

Wow, I really like the MD421 by itself. I've been thinking about getting one of those. You may have just sealed the deal for me.

I'm surprised how fat your clips sound. I thought for sure you'd beat me with raunchy gloriously grinding upper mid attack being that yours is an 800. Maybe it's the speakers? I have no idea. Very interesting.

So, you had the drive at 3:00 on the TS? That's damn near full up distortion.

LOL sorry, I meant 9:00. Haha...sometimes I have trouble with east/west and left/right. Apparently I also have trouble with 3:00/9:00 :D

I like the blended clip best Tad, I think it sounds great, the 421 is 2nd for me...Those are 10" speakers, right??? I bet if you had 12" speakers there wouldn't be as much difference between your clip & Greg's...

Yeah man, yours have so much more hi frequency definition. I have this trouble in general with my mixes. At some point in my process, I lose high end "sparkle" somewhere. It's persevered through multiple interfaces/converters/preamps. I'm using Reaper, and I didn't add anything in there. I just recorded and rendered to variable bit rate MP3 at target quality of 100.

miner
Thanks! And I agree, I really like that blended clip for some reason. Yeah, they're 10" speakers, which I have come to dislike quite a bit. Marshall actually made a matching 2x12 cabinet for this head, I'm tempted to hunt one down at some point. The 10's might work well in a room or on a stage, but recording them has proven to be aggravating.

greg
As a drummer and a guitarist, I think that you would get a ton of use out of one (or a few) MD-421s. I tried buying a couple on Reverb, but the sellers were douches that "didn't really want to sell". I saw a couple come up just yesterday for $250 each, but of course they're gone already. I missed one on Guitar Center's used website for $215 last week too. So I just broke down and bought a new one. I think that it might be worth your time to set up an alert on Reverb for one coming up at a reasonable price. I have a feeling that at some point I'll own one for each of my toms. They're big, heavy, cumbersome, ugly, and their clip sucks ass...but jeez they sound awesome. I used mine for vocals on my latest project (from Saturday's video) and was actually impressed.

So where are the mics actually pointed? I know it's tough with 10s. They're like all dustcap and then you're nearly at the edge.

Mine was definitely nearer the edge than I usually do and it still came out brighter than I expected, but it was a happy accident because I like the balance I got just from one mic that I rarely use just thrown in front of a speaker. That's how it usually works for me. The haphazard shit always comes out the best.

Tad I'd just get a 4x12 & be done with it man...You can always put different/better speakers in it later on, that's what I did....Paid $350/shipped for my 1960A....Unless you wanting matching/period correct speakers/cab, which would probably cost more...

Here's a blast from the past, a buddy sent me a picture a few minutes ago...That's me on the far right...

This pic is from 1991, the name of our band at the time was Wild Oats...:D

So where are the mics actually pointed? I know it's tough with 10s. They're like all dustcap and then you're nearly at the edge.

Mine was definitely nearer the edge than I usually do and it still came out brighter than I expected, but it was a happy accident because I like the balance I got just from one mic that I rarely use just thrown in front of a speaker. That's how it usually works for me. The haphazard shit always comes out the best.

Exactly! It's a narrow margin for error, and sometimes I haphazardly end up with something good. And other times I end up with something nearly useless.

I arranged it so that the SM57 is just inside the dust cap, and the MD421 is just outside the dust cap. Since they're side-by-side, I had to kind of use the curvature of the dust cap to get them placed. Surely somebody has 3D printed some sort of contraption that would hold these 2 mics side by side without a cumbersome stereo bar or two mic stands. Wilkinson is almost there: Mic Clips – Wilkinson Audio

Haha, awesome. Acid wash jeans with white sneakers. Classic. :D

Lol...Yeah man those were good times for me, I was still living with my parents, making decent $$$ working, plus playing in a band...Good times...

Tad: Will this clip work, or do the screws/plate interfere with a '57 sliding into it??? .

Exactly! It's a narrow margin for error, and sometimes I haphazardly end up with something good. And other times I end up with something nearly useless.

I arranged it so that the SM57 is just inside the dust cap, and the MD421 is just outside the dust cap. Since they're side-by-side, I had to kind of use the curvature of the dust cap to get them placed. Surely somebody has 3D printed some sort of contraption that would hold these 2 mics side by side without a cumbersome stereo bar or two mic stands. Wilkinson is almost there: Mic Clips – Wilkinson Audio

That cab you have is so cool though. If you're handy you could turn it into a 2x12 without butchering it to death.

I'm personally not too big a fan of 10" speakers for overdriven rock and roll tones. They're great for cleans, but they can be bitches when you start pushing them around. You've gotten good tones with them though. I can see where you'd think they're hit or miss.

Those 8x10 cabs I use with the band are purely for looks. They look great, sound less than great. I'd LOVE to convert them into big 4x12s, but they're not mine, so....fuck it. They wanna have a backline of 8x10s, so whatever. They're good conversation pieces for sure.

Love it miner!

Speaking of 1991...we did lingerie instead of jeans. This is embarrassing but I can't resist. Yes, those are tights...and the Charvel 475 that I traded in for my Les Paul in 1999.

Scan0002.jpg

But hey, the singer met his first wife while we were shopping for those tights. She worked at Deb hahahaha :D

Lol oh my fucking god. :laughings:

I know, right?!? Yeah, I came of age in an unfortunate time in the history of music. I think that night we played covers of LA Guns, Puss In Boots, and Enuff 'Z Nuff. Redneck Oklahoma loved us as much as you'd think they did. So...yeah....

Back