The New Tone Thread

Is that Edward Scissorhands on drums?

The funny thing is, all of that long black curly hair is gone now and replaced by a healthy dose of male pattern baldness. He's still about the funniest guy I've ever hung out with though. That guy is a genuine riot.

At least by 2 years after this pic, we were playing New York Dolls, Hanoi Rocks, and Ziggy-era David Bowie. I'd like to think that was an improvement.

That is awesome. We're about the same age. I sidestepped the glam thing though. I don't have any pics of my young rock and roll days. Not a single one. But let's see....in 1991...I was a senior in high school....at that time I was playing hardcore punk noise and just getting started into my psychobilly stuff. Actually the summer of graduation is when me and some guys started our psychobilly movement, so if can you picture a punk rock greaser with a fire engine red pompadour and jet black duck's ass sides, that was me. I wore thrift store bowling shirts, pegged pants, and chucks or pointy-toed creepers. And of course, my leather jacket that I still wear today. At the time, no one was doing that shit in this city and we stuck out like retards everywhere we went. We were about five years too early. In the mid/late 90s all that retro swing-a-billy culture really took off. We had already long gave up on it by then.

But that's awesome that you guys were doing something that nobody else was doing locally. I guess we were too, but as you can see it wasn't much to be proud of. Making a bunch of rednecks uncomfortable was somewhat gratifying on some level though. But you've gotta admit, when you stick out like you described, there's some deep part of you that feels proud that you stepped on stage and put on a show to the best of your ability. As much as we looked like bitches, we could play :)

Love it miner!

Speaking of 1991...we did lingerie instead of jeans. This is embarrassing but I can't resist. Yes, those are tights...and the Charvel 475 that I traded in for my Les Paul in 1999.

View attachment 97831

But hey, the singer met his first wife while we were shopping for those tights. She worked at Deb hahahaha :D
Haha, fuck me! I just spat my breakfast over my iPad!

But that's awesome that you guys were doing something that nobody else was doing locally. I guess we were too, but as you can see it wasn't much to be proud of. Making a bunch of rednecks uncomfortable was somewhat gratifying on some level though. But you've gotta admit, when you stick out like you described, there's some deep part of you that feels proud that you stepped on stage and put on a show to the best of your ability. As much as we looked like bitches, we could play :)

We actually believed that we were on to something. I think everyone believes that when they're young and stupid, but we thought "hey, this is Texas, who doesn't like rockabilly?" And combine that with what was at the time Houston's pretty okay punk rock scene, we thought we'd make some noise. And we did. The punks liked us, but that's a small niche fanbase. We were way too out there to play more mainstream type places. We had songs about trannies, and psycotic fetuses, and fecal sex play, drugs, rape, jewel heists, all sorts of stupid shit. And we were at constant war with skinheads. It was so stupid. It was like some west side story shit. Skins would wait for us behind clubs to fight while we'd load out. A floor tom leg is a damn good weapon. Not neo-nazi skins, I'm talking dumbassed "SHARP" skins. Fucking morons. To this day I hate those fuckers to death. We became known as a troublesome band and we started getting banned from places. I tell these stories to youngsters in the scene now and it blows their minds. They don't understand that rock and roll used to be a man's game. There's no danger or violence anymore. Anyway, we fizzled out from frustration and just generally starting to dislike each other, so that was that.

that sounds like a lot of fun!

Has anyone every tried one of these:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/PV6505MH/guitar-amp-heads/peavey-6505-mh-mini-guitar-amp-head
These is actually really quite cheap. I've got my gear buying plan to take me into next year now so I know I'll be shopping for a lunchbox head in January. I don't know if it does a full clean tone which I do need and is the only reason miner's amp isn't on the shortlist.

That's basically the same thing as Miner's little EVH head.

That's basically the same thing as Miner's little EVH head.
Ah, miners amp seems to have a really good channel and a more gain than I'd ever need channel... oh well. My shortlist is back to two amps (one of which I already own)

Ah, miners amp seems to have a really good channel and a more gain than I'd ever need channel... oh well. My shortlist is back to two amps (one of which I already own)

The 5150, 6505, EVH amps are all basically the same things with minor tweaks from one to the other.

I've just done a little bit of research on that Peavey 6505 mini head - apparently it does have a true clean channel. They've gotta be easier to come by and test than a H&K or a Victory.

Haha, fuck me! I just spat my breakfast over my iPad!

Glad I could brighten your day :D

I hope that there was no permanent damage to your iPad.

We actually believed that we were on to something. I think everyone believes that when they're young and stupid, but we thought "hey, this is Texas, who doesn't like rockabilly?" And combine that with what was at the time Houston's pretty okay punk rock scene, we thought we'd make some noise. And we did. The punks liked us, but that's a small niche fanbase. We were way too out there to play more mainstream type places. We had songs about trannies, and psycotic fetuses, and fecal sex play, drugs, rape, jewel heists, all sorts of stupid shit. And we were at constant war with skinheads. It was so stupid. It was like some west side story shit. Skins would wait for us behind clubs to fight while we'd load out. A floor tom leg is a damn good weapon. Not neo-nazi skins, I'm talking dumbassed "SHARP" skins. Fucking morons. To this day I hate those fuckers to death. We became known as a troublesome band and we started getting banned from places. I tell these stories to youngsters in the scene now and it blows their minds. They don't understand that rock and roll used to be a man's game. There's no danger or violence anymore. Anyway, we fizzled out from frustration and just generally starting to dislike each other, so that was that.

Hahaha, that really does sound like something out of West Side Story! I was never much of a fighter, I don't know what I woulda done. Well, I woulda gotten my ass beat a few times, I guess.

Tad: Great picture man..:)..We never got into wearing lingere & eyeliner, but we did play a lot of the same music I'm sure. Ratt, LA Guns, G&R, but we had to be able to play Hank Williams Jr. & Waylon Jennings shit too, or we couldn't get booked anywhere around here...

Jdod: From what I've read, the EVH amp I have kills that amp's gain channel, but the clean on that amp is supposed to be superb. It's got more features like USB/silent recording too I think...

Greg: We used to have fights after gigs too, but it was usually over somebody's girlfriend that one (or sometimes all...) of us had either already porked, or was about to pork...:D.There's a vast amount of weapons mixed into what's needed for a bar gig, microphone stands, the mentioned floor tom leg, I've even saw a few drumsticks be turned into weapons pretty efficiently a couple of times...:laughings:

Hahaha, that really does sound like something out of West Side Story! I was never much of a fighter, I don't know what I woulda done. Well, I woulda gotten my ass beat a few times, I guess.

Lol. You wouldn't have had much choice. You fight or get beat up because those guys were gonna fight regardless. That's what they lived for. They were like jocks, but their sport was drinking beer and intimidation. So you get a few licks in and hopefully it fizzles out. No one ever got really fucked up. You win some, you lose some.

It's not like that anymore. Not even close. Everyone is friendly and polite now. There's no competition, there are no rivalries. It's really boring. No one fights, no one even talks shit. Not that I should be or want to be fighting anyone, but no one even tries anymore. Everyone is so nice. Bleh.

You fight or get beat up because those guys were gonna fight regardless. That's what they lived for. They were like jocks, but their sport was drinking beer and intimidation. So you get a few licks in and hopefully it fizzles out. No one ever got really fucked up. You win some, you lose some.

This is how it was around these parts, you either fight back, or you get your ass whipped regardless...I've saw quite a few people get the shit beat out of them because they wouldn't even try to fight back...As long as it was 1 on 1, they're on their own...But if it was more than one against one of my buddies, that shit would not fly, at all...

I never understood why anyone would allow themselves to get thrashed like that, & not even attempt to fight back, but I've saw it happen quite a few times...:confused:

The only guy I ever jumped into anything like that for is the drummer in that picture. He's basically been crippled since he was about 13, when he fell off the top seat of the bleachers (backwards onto concrete/asphalt, just guessing about 20 feet), at the high school track & it broke his neck/fucked him up badly & permanently...There's just no way he could defend himself, but we all made sure he didn't get picked on...

It's not like that anymore. Not even close. Everyone is friendly and polite now. There's no competition, there are no rivalries. It's really boring. No one fights, no one even talks shit. Not that I should be or want to be fighting anyone, but no one even tries anymore. Everyone is so nice. Bleh.

I'm assuming that's how it is at some of the better clubs/bars in driving distance from me (Tri-Cities, TN, an hour or so drive), but I really have no idea...

There are a couple local (10-15 min drive), scummy, hole in the wall places that I'm sure nothing has changed except it's different people now...:facepalm:

Recipe for an instant asshole in Redneckville, USA: Just add alcohol...

Back