The New Tone Thread

Here's one I've been working on. I just brought the levels to the approximate appropriate volumes. I haven't done a lot with any processing or EQ. The only thing I've done to the drums is EQ the bass drum. Also I hi-passed the guitars and vocals.

The rhythm guitar panned to the left is my 66 strat, neck pickup, into the Peavey Bravo amp clean Channel

The accent rhythm guitar panned to the right, is my clown burst Les Paul copy, middle position, going into the Bravo's clean Channel

The lead guitar that intros the song and plays throughout the first ride is my clown burst, neck pickup, going into the Peavey Bravo gain channel

On the second ride, the thinner sounding guitar is my 66 Strat into the Bravo's gain channel in the middle pick up position. I realize it sounds thin but I set it more for playing the guitar harmonies than I did for a stand alone tone....I need to adjust that.

I'm playing all the instruments on this one. The drums aren't perfect but I'm happier with these drums and any others I've done so far.

This playing all the drums at at the same time stuff is a bitch!
lol
https://m.soundcloud.com/jimistone/southbound1

Last edited:
Jimi, there's a couple of spots where the drumming is a little loose, but it doesn't matter at all.

This sounds like a really good live band playing in a bar - it sounds nothing like a bloke recording on his own who's put it together one bit at a time. All the instruments sound good to me, the drums don't sound like "studio" drums - they sound like something off a fairly old live recording, that's not necessarily a bad thing though.

So, curious - how do you piece things together? Put some EZ Drummer shit together and record a scratch guitar and bass before putting the real drums on? Then recording the guitars, bass and vocal properly.

EDIT:
Is Greg banned again? Who's he pissed off this time? It's always quite funny being from the UK on this forum. I log on when I get to the office in the morning to have a read with a coffee and a bit of breakfast and I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get. Sometimes nothing has happened and sometimes a massive row has broken out about something completely trivial.

Lt. Bob...
Thanks man. playing that bass.line for that long gave me a new found respect for bass players. My left hand felt like it was going to fall off after I got through with that!
lol

rayc..
Thanks. I've been playing the drums as much as possible. Hopefully at some point I'll get good enough to focus more on my Dynamics. On this performance the snare drum hits were inconsistent and the tom hits are too light. Hopefully I can do better in the future.

JDOD...
Thanks. My process for recording is usually this:
decide on the tempo
do a click track
lay a scratch guitar part down...
lay a scratch vocal
lay the drums down
lay a keeper bass line down
lay the keeper guitar parts down
then do the final vocal.

LOL! I hope some of you see this before it gets deleted.....

Hey guys,

I just got an e-mail from Greg. He has been banned. No reason given, nothing. If you look through his posts, you'll see he didn't get into an argument with anyone, and was behaving and being helpful.

Unfortunately, this place has been ruined by the mods and the group of "Robus/Andrushtwit/Nola" and a few other talentless idiots, who must have some dirt on a couple of mods, because they've attacked, whined, cried more than anyone that has ever been here, yet they never got reprimanded for the things others would have been banned for. Something weird going on there for sure. The mods have totally shut down any personality this place used to have. Now, everyone's scared to say anything that might be slightly controversial. It has become a snoozefest of a joke.

I peek into this place once every few weeks, and I see it getting deader and deader. Look at the MP3 Clinic. Page one never had posts from "One week ago". it was always full of posts from the same day. Now, it's all but dead, and it was killed by the mods and the group of talentless idiots I mentioned above.

Funny thing is, the only two threads that had zero arguments were the "Football" thread and the "Tone" thread, the only two places that Greg posted regularly.

This account will probably be banned and I'm sure this post will deleted by the cowards that have ruined this place, so I might not see any responses. I'm certainly done with checking in on this place. There's really nothing to see any more. :)

Fucking mods. LOL! I wonder when Jimmy's next drunken meltdown will happen. Too bad he can't ban himself. He would have been gone long ago.

Take care, guys. :)

man ..... ya'll prolly notice I don't come around much anymore and this is a part of why. There's a cabal that runs this place now and they want everyone to toe the line. I actually don't mind toeing the line but because of that, the place isn't very interesting. About the only part that is is the tome thread which is why it's the only place I come to at all

man ..... ya'll prolly notice I don't come around much anymore and this is a part of why. There's a cabal that runs this place now and they want everyone to toe the line. I actually don't mind toeing the line but because of that, the place isn't very interesting. About the only part that is is the tone thread which is why it's the only place I come to at all

Same here Bob, I am still dealing with health issues, and depression on top of that, but it just doesn't seem like the place it used to be, to me anyway...Nothing toward anyone at all, I've just been laying low & keeping to myself...

I do feel responsibility to try to keep this thread going, but with me feeling like total shit physically, & all the other shit on my end, I just don't feel like doing much of anything to be honest...

All you guys here are like my brothers, so forgive me if I don't pop in/post like I did...

LOL! I hope some of you see this before it gets deleted.....

Hey guys,

I just got an e-mail from Greg. He has been banned. No reason given, nothing. If you look through his posts, you'll see he didn't get into an argument with anyone, and was behaving and being helpful.

Unfortunately, this place has been ruined by the mods and the group of "Robus/Andrushtwit/Nola" and a few other talentless idiots,

What you just said is shitty and just plain wrong. Insulting people's music on a forum like this is a bridge too far. If you had a leg to stand on, you just kicked it out from under yourself.

I like their music and you can suck my balls.

What you just said is shitty and just plain wrong. Insulting people's music on a forum like this is a bridge too far. If you had a leg to stand on, you just kicked it out from under yourself.

I like their music and you can suck my balls.

I should delete this post, but I feel it is representative of how members react to the members that have been banned for exactly this type of comment by 'John Smiff'. We all know who that alias was.

How about you just delete everything from John Smiff on? This shit detracts from this thread - my posts included. There is or was a bitch thread in Prime Time.

Good luck with that. I've had a bit of time off after posting loads in the MP3 clinic and I come in to find this!

Yeah, probably curtains now. Where you been anyway? Seemed like you were posting a song a week for a while!

Back