The New Tone Thread

I don't come here often but I have been around forums for a number of years and now see a trend.

1)Certain posters push the boundaries, or are perceived to do so.
2) "Da Management" gets slowly more conservative (note small c )/older/scared/compromised/power-crazed..OR is perceived to do so!

3)People split off and form their own forum...which gradually, inevitably evolves into the one they left!

Peace and happiness to you ALL.

Dave.

Yeah, probably curtains now. Where you been anyway? Seemed like you were posting a song a week for a while!

I've been remixing some of my old stuff with some new techniques I'm trying out. Been pretty successful so far.:) Had a few evenings in the shed with my dino, trying to finish it at long last. I've been putting off starting my cover version of "Gigantic" by the Pixies; Frank left me with a corker of a drum track but my mojo's fizzled out. Posting in the MP3 clinic and garnering only a few comments after a couple of weeks of hard work seems pretty demoralising to me. I'm fed up with it.

I've been remixing some of my old stuff with some new techniques I'm trying out. Been pretty successful so far.:) Had a few evenings in the shed with my dino, trying to finish it at long last. I've been putting off starting my cover version of "Gigantic" by the Pixies; Frank left me with a corker of a drum track but my mojo's fizzled out. Posting in the MP3 clinic and garnering only a few comments after a couple of weeks of hard work seems pretty demoralising to me. I'm fed up with it.
Fair enough, he's gone to uni now has he? Did he ring you up shitfaced to ask for money after a few days?

I've been mainly practicing my mixing, singing and playing about with EQ and compression over the last couple of months. Want to learn a bit more about that lot and carry on working on my stuff. My library of written and arranged songs is building up pretty well so it's all fun.

If you don't want to post it, email me your version of gigantic when you've done it. I'm working on a punk version of Chase The Devil by Max Romeo that you'll find amusing. I've shelved Punkrock Android for now.

Jimmy, how is Burgundy's over reactive post not a sanction attracting offence? His response isn't appropriate given what he stated and the floating "rules".
It's simple - Greg, and for that matter Rami, does far more good than most and occasionally doesn't suffer fools or trolls.
My response to martin maniac was harsher than his.
Mr Smiff let folk know of a current event that was relevant to them and was then quickly sussed out & snuffed out. Folk aren't even able to communicate with him - hello RAMI. That suggests a degree of paranoia and hyper sensitivity amongst a sub set on HR.
Look at the degree of stagnation across the forum. Extensive conversations seem to only occur when folk try to deal with a troll who is left alone by mods or when simply wrong information is being peddles as fact. The rare exceptions exist and the Tone Thread is large amongst them as it has been pushing the boundaries of board knowledge and educating as it goes.
HR is being biased into splutter - the breakup isn't pleasant and there's too much fizz without the necessary presence to cut through the mix.
Get you act together.

I can understand where IBB is coming from. He has recorded several songs with Robus...and I have to say they have posted some really good stuff in the clinic. He took the blanket statement of "robus and a few other talentless idiots" personally, and I can't say as I blame him.

Greg and I have had our run in's over the years...I have pissed him off and he has pissed me off. That being said, he has helped me time after time. Helped me with interface choice, helped me with mic technique, advised me on buying a decent drum set, helped me with drum tuning, took time to listen to ound files of my drum kit and said it sounded good or it sucks.

I think his best trait is what gets him in trouble.....blunt brutal honesty.
People want him to listen to their stuff because they know he will be brutally honest. if it sucks he will say "It sucks....it sounds like a kindergarten recorded it. It's complete shit".

guess what.... If my recording sounds like shit that's what I want to hear. Saying something sounds good when it doesn't hinders progress IMHO

I I think Greg is a valuable asset to this site and I sincerely hope that the moderators reconsider the decision to ban him.

Close the thread. Start a new one if you want to.

Just to clarify - even though rayc sometimes calls me Mr Smiff, I'm not related to "John Smiff", we just have the same surname.:thumbs up:

No need. it'll sink into oblivion of its own accord, now. Greg WAS this thread. It'll take a year for the thread to fall off the front page, mind, even if nobody touches it again.
no .... we've kept this thread going at times when greg wasn't coming around or was banned before.

Firther, I'ma gonna be a greg proxy ..... he'll do clips and I'll post them up on the thread. And the same with his ears ..... if he can see the thread as a guest then he can listen to others clips .... if not .... I'll email them to him.
We've become fairly good friends which is why his banning irks me ..... he's actually one of the better human beings here.
So the thread's not gonna die thank you very much.

Wouldn't it be easier to just start The Tone Thread on another forum where Greg can actually post? He's registered on a forum called Recording Review I think.

well maybe ..... I'll ask him.
However, that wouldn't have the benefit of getting around his ban and irking the admins! :D

I literally don't care and I don't imagine the other mods, or admins, do either.

Greg's knowledge and contribution here was never in question.
I hope the Tone Thread carries on as before and if you find a way to include him in that, Greg willing, that's great.

Wouldn't it be easier to just start The Tone Thread on another forum where Greg can actually post? He's registered on a forum called Recording Review I think.

edit - Nevermind. I totally fucked that up. I thought it was Steen saying that.

Last edited:
lol ..... no one's said ANYthing uninviting.

Just some people looking for ways to still get gregs expertise ..... you're obviously not one of them ..... no prob.
How you interpret that to mean the tone thread's become uninviting is beyond me.

But the tone thread will continue ...... you've actually never been much of a participant .... maybe you will be now?

That'd be great ..... help us keep it going.

lol ..... no one's said ANYthing uninviting.

Just some people looking for ways to still get gregs expertise ..... you're obviously not one of them ..... no prob.
How you interpret that to mean the tone thread's become uninviting is beyond me.

But the tone thread will continue ...... you've actually never been much of a participant .... maybe you will be now?

That'd be great ..... help us keep it going.
Whatever...

I heard the news that Greg is missing from the picture. that really stinks.

To be honest, what happens here in the tone thread is deserving of a dedicated home elsewhere where. I know I haven't been all that involved at all in 2016 (i did poke my head i and lurk and listen when i could but i just literally had no time to sign in and chime in as i had nothing to contribute being away from my guitars for months on end)

I feel this subthread of a subforum It is greater to this site than the sum of this sites parts.

RIP GREG

Whatever...
lol .... what does that mean?

I thought I was perfectly polite in saying that the tone thread wants to continue and it'd be great of you wanted to help ..... so why does that get a snotty response?
If you don't want to. of course, no one's trying to force you .....

Back