The New Tone Thread

Thanks guys .... she should be ok .... it's pre-cancerous so we caught it before it went all gangbanger ..... but it's kinda largish and it's in a spot that makes it tricky .... so much so that the doc ( a very good one ) is farming us out to the guy that trained him .... so apparently it's a somewhat complicated job.
It's right where the small and large intestines join and there's a valve there.

They're gonna do an endoscopy surgery so there's no recover time really ..... just a day or two.

The colon chopping is to be a last resort.

Basically it's going to be extremely inconvenient and she's stressing about when they'll do it ..... she's afraid of missing SEMA. :)

She's gonna be ok but I worry about her ..... she's little and helpless.
So I'll be a bit on edge I imagine.

Still sounds pretty nasty, Bob. Hope it all goes off without any problems.

Plus .... now I'll have to clean the house ...... fix dinner ........ bring her stuff on a satin pillow and back away bowing.:D
You'll make an excellent Man-Slave

Thanks guys .... she should be ok .... it's pre-cancerous so we caught it before it went all gangbanger ..... but it's kinda largish and it's in a spot that makes it tricky .... so much so that the doc ( a very good one ) is farming us out to the guy that trained him .... so apparently it's a somewhat complicated job.
It's right where the small and large intestines join and there's a valve there.

They're gonna do an endoscopy surgery so there's no recover time really ..... just a day or two.

The colon chopping is to be a last resort.

Basically it's going to be extremely inconvenient and she's stressing about when they'll do it ..... she's afraid of missing SEMA. :)

She's gonna be ok but I worry about her ..... she's little and helpless.
So I'll be a bit on edge I imagine.

Plus .... now I'll have to clean the house ...... fix dinner ........ bring her stuff on a satin pillow and back away bowing.

:D
A lady I go to church with had the same thing....a large mass where her large and small intestine joined. Her and her husband were both scared because it, like you say, is a complicated surgery. They had to remove some of her colon in the long run.
She went through it fine and has no repercussions from it now whatsoever.
Y'all are in my prayers Lt Bob.

Best wishes and positive vibes for the lady from this side of the world Lt Bob. Let the anxiety wash out through a stinging solo or three.

Boob, sorry about your wife, man. Good luck with everything.

Hey liv, I'm listening on crappy ear buds cuz I'm away from my listening room, but I liked the clean parts. Good use of delay IMO. Then it got all Deftones on me and blech. :D

Where is everyone?

Thanks Greg. lol deftones.

liv, that generally sounds pretty good. Cool riff and a good idea.

There's a little bit of noise coming through on the left guitar which you might want to try and gate - not much though.
The guitars work well together but when the left guitar starts playing the lower chords - first happens at about the 50s mark - it becomes a bit muddy sounding.

I think the distorted guitars are OK but you've got the bad/boxy Blackstar tone creaping in there - bit of tweaking should sort that out - you have a better cab than me. There a few small timing errors in the playing in this section too but I don't suppose it matters as you'll probaby re-track it when you're ready to finish this off.

Don't like the tone right at the end at all!

Thanks for the comments. That dark picking melody from the first guitar is meant to be like that, I wanted the other guitar to be more defined in its melody there. As far as timing issues im not re-doing it lol, it's close enough. I'm not looking for perfection in my stuff anymore because I never get it and I just end up agonizing over it forever to end up nowhere.

liv_rong...
Man I love the clean sound on this song I feel like it's a really well composed piece of music. Great chord progression and fantastic interplay between the two guitars. The distorted part at the end is really heavy a bit more than I like. The amount of crunch is subjective though it's hard to judge not being in the context of the rest of the instruments.
Great job man!

Boob, sorry about your wife, man. Good luck with everything.

Thanks Greg. lol deftones.

Thanks for the comments. That dark picking melody from the first guitar is meant to be like that, I wanted the other guitar to be more defined in its melody there. As far as timing issues im not re-doing it lol, it's close enough. I'm not looking for perfection in my stuff anymore because I never get it and I just end up agonizing over it forever to end up nowhere.

LOL, fair enough, mate.

Man, I have been working my as off on the drums and I have A drum performance I'm happy with on a song I'm working on (a first). I have the drums, bass, 2 rythym guitars and a scratch vocal layer down on the old Allman Brothers tune "Southbound". I'm getting an excellent tone out of my clown burst Vantage Les Paul clone going into my peavey bravo amp.
I just can't get a lead guitar performance I'm happy with :(
Damnit!!!
Lol
after all the work in the drum kit I fall the fuck apart on the guitar.
Oh well....TRY TRY AGAIN!

The trying is the fun part jimi.
Actually, to me getting the drums together was the fun part. Laying out, tweaking, and fine tuning the lead guitar passages and fills are like the ditch digging of the process to me.
Well, doing the bass is no picnic either.
I get the guitar parts together by jamming with the finished rythym tracks and listening back. Then, I decide what is working and what isnt....then I try to incorporate what works into a cohesive guitar ride that builds momentum but leaves room for better and faster licks as the song rolls along.
One of my favorite guitarists is the late great Albert King. Another of my favorites, the late great Tommy Bolin, played in Albertz band for a while before he gained rock and roll stardom. Bolin was asked in an interview what he learned by playing with Albert King. He said; "Albert King taught me the most important thing I ever learned as a guitarist....don't blow all your cookies in the first bar!!"

I took that advise to heart too....a long time ago. I thought about it often through the years....like when shred was all the rage. These dudes like Van Halen, Satch, Vai, the sweedish dude whose name evades me right now....play a song and it's like sub machine gun speed guitar....neck tapping...whammy dive bombing....1000 miles an hour on every ride.
After one ride the listener is worn out and numb to it....they have blown their cookies in the first bar. There is nothing left to do after a tune or 2. As a listener I'm good for one song of that kind of total onslaught and I'm bored.
Then you listen to Albert king. He is on a slow burn doing bends early in the song more than licks....might do a couple of impressive licks in the first ride.....then he will do an absolute killer lick towards the end of the last guitar ride and it just resonates and satisfies.
Guess what....
He has played a song and only used 3 or 4 of he best licks and he has a bag full if them.
He never blew all his cookies in the first bar.

I have to dicipline myself not to do all my best stuff too early in a song or set of songs. It's human nature to want every guitar lick to be absolutely killer but if you don't pace yourself you have painted yourself into a corner and at that point you're either repeating your licks or playing weaker licks towed the end of the song.

Anyway, I'll quit rattling on.
lol

liv_rong...
Man I love the clean sound on this song I feel like it's a really well composed piece of music. Great chord progression and fantastic interplay between the two guitars. The distorted part at the end is really heavy a bit more than I like. The amount of crunch is subjective though it's hard to judge not being in the context of the rest of the instruments.
Great job man!

Thanks man! I really appreciate it. It means a lot when you spend time on something and only like 5 people hear it and someone says something like that.

Anarchy in the UK?
LOL

LOL, nowhere near. Its a pretty old song and no where near a punk song originally. Its probably best known these days as being heavily sampled in dance music in the 90s, most notably by The Prodigy.

Bob, I wish your wife all the best. It's a scary thing when the people we love face health threats, even more so than the ones to our own health. Stay positive and keep doing what you do.

Back