The New Tone Thread

Cool clips Greg, it does sound like a reverb has been thrown onto those clips, so that eases my mind that I'm not really missing anything by doing what I've been doing all this time...

My usual reverb setup is a room & plate/hall...I send all my tracks to these at varying levels (I usually drop the kick's send pretty low), trying to mimic all the instruments being tracked in the same place(s)...

On certain tracks, I even pan the send (IE: gtr 1 is panned L, so I pan it's send to that side...sometimes I'll pan the send the opposite way), trying to make it sound more realistic...

I try to make it if I solo a guitar track, then mute the reverb, I notice it's missing, but don't really hear it much while it's active...Sometimes I do ok, sometimes I don't....:)

that sounds like a lot of fun!

Has anyone every tried one of these:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/PV6505MH/guitar-amp-heads/peavey-6505-mh-mini-guitar-amp-head
These is actually really quite cheap. I've got my gear buying plan to take me into next year now so I know I'll be shopping for a lunchbox head in January. I don't know if it does a full clean tone which I do need and is the only reason miner's amp isn't on the shortlist.

LOL at describing a 20W tube amp as "desktop friendly" - that's still enough power to seriously annoy everyone within a 100m radius. :)

LOL at describing a 20W tube amp as "desktop friendly" - that's still enough power to seriously annoy everyone within a 100m radius. :)

Lol, yeah man, my little "desktop friendly" amp fits nicely into my desk's rack spaces, but this little thing is far from quiet...

And yes, there's my Mountain Dew in the pic, hillbillies gotta have their Dew...:D

Cool clips Greg, it does sound like a reverb has been thrown onto those clips, so that eases my mind that I'm not really missing anything by doing what I've been doing all this time...

With the quality of convolution reverb the way it is, I see no reason for me to do anything like this ever again. I'm not unhappy with the results, but I'm not a big reverb guy anyway. Most of the time my guitar tracks get no reverb whatsoever.

With the quality of convolution reverb the way it is, I see no reason for me to do anything like this ever again. I'm not unhappy with the results, but I'm not a big reverb guy anyway. Most of the time my guitar tracks get no reverb whatsoever.

Right man, your little experiment/test just solidified what I'd already been leaning toward...I know I use a lot more 'verb than you Greg, but the clip you posted a while back that had more 'verb than you'd usually use sounded great to me...

I'm fucking with my amp right now, I'll try to post up a clip or two in a little while.....

Right man, your little experiment/test just solidified what I'd already been leaning toward...I know I use a lot more 'verb than you Greg, but the clip you posted a while back that had more 'verb than you'd usually use sounded great to me...

I'm fucking with my amp right now, I'll try to post up a clip or two in a little while.....

I don't put much reverb on drums, so I try to match the guitar reverb to the drums, or use none at all. I like things dry and right in your face. My philosophy is if you can hear the reverb, then it's too much. I only like it when you can't tell it's there, but you can tell if you take it away.

Except for surf or rockabilly. That shits has to be swimming in reverb.

I've sill got that Deluxe Reverb reissue on my mind. I might go check it out again this weekend. I think I'd rather a 68 Custom Reverb though. It's supposedly Bassman on one channel, traditional tremolo/reverb on the other. That'd be more my speed. I wonder if they have a head version...

That's a cool recording space miner. I thought the amp was sitting on the floor when I first looked at the pic....then I realized it's on your decktop. Lol

That sucker is little!

I'm gonna check out you room guitar recording when I get to my studio.

I've sill got that Deluxe Reverb reissue on my mind. I might go check it out again this weekend. I think I'd rather a 68 Custom Reverb though. It's supposedly Bassman on one channel, traditional tremolo/reverb on the other. That'd be more my speed. I wonder if they have a head version...

I've got the '68 Custom Reverb. I like it a whole lot, but it's my first tube Fender. I basically never touch the controls on it, I set everything pretty close to 5 and go. The Custom channel is definitely based on the Bassman. It's darker and really loves pedals. And it has an extremely just-on-the-edge-of-breakup tone that I freaking love, especially with my bright-assed Jazzmaster. The Vintage channel is closer to the old school Deluxe Reverb, and I just love its clean tones. Both channels, in my experience anyways, have a sweet spot at right about 4.5 on the volume dial. Honestly I don't think that either channel breaks up in a very pleasant way much beyond that. And this amp rattles like a motherfucker. Not sure if that's specific to mine, or if they all do it. But there must be some tube microphonics going on, because it doesn't sound like a chassis rattle.

Robus uses the Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and that thing breaks up great when pushed. It sounds smooth and great when he pushes it. But I've never liked the way that mine breaks up when pushed beyond 5 or 6 on the volume dial. Again, could be tube weirdness in mine (still using the stock tubes), or it may be common to all of the 68 Customs. It does react very well to a Tube Screamer or OCD in front of it though, especially on that Custom channel. Also the reverb rocks. The tremolo is just okay, but I've never used any other tremolo so I'm not sure how it stacks up.

I've got the '68 Custom Reverb. I like it a whole lot, but it's my first tube Fender. I basically never touch the controls on it, I set everything pretty close to 5 and go. The Custom channel is definitely based on the Bassman. It's darker and really loves pedals. And it has an extremely just-on-the-edge-of-breakup tone that I freaking love, especially with my bright-assed Jazzmaster. The Vintage channel is closer to the old school Deluxe Reverb, and I just love its clean tones. Both channels, in my experience anyways, have a sweet spot at right about 4.5 on the volume dial. Honestly I don't think that either channel breaks up in a very pleasant way much beyond that. And this amp rattles like a motherfucker. Not sure if that's specific to mine, or if they all do it. But there must be some tube microphonics going on, because it doesn't sound like a chassis rattle.

Robus uses the Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and that thing breaks up great when pushed. It sounds smooth and great when he pushes it. But I've never liked the way that mine breaks up when pushed beyond 5 or 6 on the volume dial. Again, could be tube weirdness in mine (still using the stock tubes), or it may be common to all of the 68 Customs. It does react very well to a Tube Screamer or OCD in front of it though, especially on that Custom channel. Also the reverb rocks. The tremolo is just okay, but I've never used any other tremolo so I'm not sure how it stacks up.

Hmmm, thanks for the review. Maybe I don't actually want one. I'm not really interested in clean or just barely pushed. I need surf-a-billy punk madness...and I need volume to play live. Think like The Cramps or Man Or Astroman? That's what I like. I gotta go spend more time with one. I wonder if I can put a reverb tank into one of these Plexis? Now that would be perfect.

Oooh, Fender Pro Reverb. Maybe that's the one I'd want. 40 watts, 2x12, all the usual reverb/tremolo shit. Breaks up quick. Now if I can find one....

Hmmm, thanks for the review. Maybe I don't actually want one. I'm not really interested in clean or just barely pushed. I need surf-a-billy punk madness...and I need volume to play live. Think like The Cramps or Man Or Astroman? That's what I like. I gotta go spend more time with one. I wonder if I can put a reverb tank into one of these Plexis? Now that would be perfect.

The Vibrolux might be more what you are looking for. Or if you have the dough, a super reverb.

A Super would be great, but I don't want a 4x10 combo...or any combo really. Anything they got with tremolo and reverb in the 30-40 watt range in a head version would be fine with me.

A Super would be great, but I don't want a 4x10 combo...or any combo really. Anything they got with tremolo and reverb in the 30-40 watt range in a head version would be fine with me.

I've been wondering about this, where I'm looking for a clean tone, the sounds I most associate that with are combo amps (AFAIK anyway, like an old Blackface, Twin Reverb, etc)...Wonder how that would be affected by the cabs/speakers I've got???

Aren't most of those tones I'm talking about an open back combo amp with Fender/Jensen/whatever speakers???

I've been wondering about this, where I'm looking for a clean tone, the sounds I most associate that with are combo amps (AFAIK anyway, like an old Blackface, Twin Reverb, etc)...Wonder how that would be affected by the cabs/speakers I've got???

Aren't most of those tones I'm talking about an open back combo amp with Fender/Jensen/whatever speakers???

Yup, but I bet you could do well enough with what you have.

I want a head version for two reasons:
1) I already have cabs
2) I don't like combos.

And I'm not making sleepy bluesy adult contemporary yacht rock either, so "true Fender tone" isn't that important to me. I want true psychosurf tone.

Get a silverface bassman head.

On second thought maybe no. It has the sound some power, it's a head, but no verb or trem. On the other hand, you can get that with pedals. You want some volume? Get a Dual Showman.

Back