The New Tone Thread

Here's an example of attitudes in the USA. So there's this car parked in front of my mailbox. A real piece of shit, parked all crooked and stuff, dirty, cluttered with junk, etc. A white trash car. There are always cars parked on my street with the school directly across from me, but most people have enough sense to not block someone's mailbox in the middle of the day. And most of the people around here drive decent cars that are taken care of. Not this fucker. So I just happen to walk out to my driveway and lo and behold this trashy young woman with some wigger looking dude in a 5-Guys uniform is walking up to the car. So I say "hey is this your car?" And the girl says "yeah, I'll move it". So I say "Good thanks, so why would you block my mailbox?" She says "You can go fuck yourself". :laughings: So I says "Yeah, I could, but still, why would you block my mailbox? Use your brain, please". So she pulls forward, gets out, and walks away and now this wigger dude is staring me down as I walk up to my door, and he's kind of walking into my yard. So I stop, turn around, as ask him "and what are you gonna do? Just go away. Get out of my yard". And he backs up and says "Just go inside". So that's what I did. I went inside. I didn't even shoot him. :D

Ok....made it back from the jam...it sure is a bitch to pack a fuckin' 100w head & 4x12 around, I'd forgotten how much fun this shit really is....:laughings:.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the DSL100 & bastard cab guys, it sounds absolutely great in a band setting... I know it's a DSL & Lester studio, but seriously, it's killer...I'd also forgotten about playing loud for a few hours, so my ears are still ringing...

I do wonder though if the mixed bag of speakers would hurt my sound, compared to a matched set or even an X-pattern....

The other guys have some pretty nice gear, some of it they've had since we were in high school together, in particular, a Laney AOR 50w head & 4x12, that still sounds as good as I remember back all those years ago...

I suppose they wanna try it again in a few days & I told 'em just lemme know...I think it sounded pretty good considering I hadn't played in a band in 15 years, & I still remembered a lot of the old lead parts I used to play, I'm just rusty as fuck playing "on the spot" instead of being able to do it over like I do in the daw....It'll make me a better player though....

I thought I hadn't forgot anything, until it came time for me to break out the slide on a song or two, & I'd left it on my desk...But, the other guitar player had one, so that wasn't a big deal...

We did "Freebird" last thing, & this is when the Lester into the DSL impressed me the most, I used the neck pickup into the clean channel boosted with the Bogner pedal for the slide parts, the hit the boost button & flipped to the bridge p'up for the leads, & again, I'm fuckin' impressed...The boost button on the Bogner is great, it gave me just that extra little "push" to get my guitar's volume up where it needed to be....I did use the red channel for some of the songs, but it's just really bright, so for a lot of the songs, I used the green crunch then boosted with the Bogner pedal for my lead parts....

Had a pretty good time tonight!!!:D

Oh yeah, the other guys did drink a couple beers, & even toked a little, but were super nice about all that shit, so I don't think that's gonna be an issue...Guess I'm just paranoid...

Cool. Glad you had a good night mate, I have a similar reunion coming up, fortunately without any previous addiction issues from my side.

Thanks guys, it went pretty good for the most part yesterday, & it brought back a lot of good memories with those guys from years ago....Felt like a teenager again for a little while...

I still need to dial the DSL in a little better though, I'm thinking if I get an eq pedal to use in the loop, I can even out the differences between the red & green channels, eq-wise....

Might take the Ceriatone next time though, dunno, I'm also thinking about taking a 1x12 with me next time with a T-75 in it...The only thing is I won't get the low-end punch from a 1x12...BTW, I used the 50w mode in the DSL (with the master on about 4) the whole time, & didn't have any problems with volume...

The other guitar player's old Laney sounded great, & there was a noticeable difference in our tones, neither was better/worse, we all thought they sounded pretty good together...

You only had one jam with these guys. What were you missing that you need to dial in better? I think that if you're gonna start playing live more often, you might wanna consider a cab with matching speakers in it. Maybe pull the trigger on that Peavey cab. Your bastard cab is awesome for recording, but you could be fighting yourself with all those mismatched speakers going at once.

You only had one jam with these guys. What were you missing that you need to dial in better? I think that if you're gonna start playing live more often, you might wanna consider a cab with matching speakers in it. Maybe pull the trigger on that Peavey cab. Your bastard cab is awesome for recording, but you could be fighting yourself with all those mismatched speakers going at once.

I don't think is was the speakers as much as the eq difference between the red & green channel dude, but that could very well be a big part of it...I knew this when I bought the amp, but never thought it'd be an issue for me, as I never thought I'd play live again....I might buy an eq pedal to try to even the channels out a little....The green crunch would sound awesome, then I'd hit the red channel, & it'd be thin sounding...But again, I knew this when I bought the amp...

FWIW, the amp never sounded shrill at all, just the red channel was brighter with less bottom...

That's the DSL for ya. That shared EQ has always been my main gripe with them. Great sounding amp, but it's just two single channels amps in one. You gotta pick a channel and live with it, or do some serious finagling. Going from one channel to the other just doesn't work very well.

Yeah, it kinda sucks man....but, I knew this when I bought it, & I'm not really complaining, but I think an eq in the loop would probably go a long way.....

One thing I didn't take/try last night was the SD-1, I just took the Bogner pedal with me, & I'm impressed with the pedal too...Really impressed to be honest, the boost function works great....

But yeah, this was the first time playing with these guys, & I'm probably over-thinking this shit again as usual...lol...

But yeah, this was the first time playing with these guys, & I'm probably over-thinking this shit again as usual...lol...
I believe you are IMO.
I've said this before too ...... if you spent half as much time on your playing/recording as you do obsessing over minute changes in tone you'd be the baddest player on the planet!

I'm NOT saying don't care BTW.
For recording purposes I suppose the argument can be made that tone is everything (not that I personally worry about it like ya'll do but the argument can be made) but live, it's all about what you do. That guys Laney sounds totally different than your Marshall but you yourself said, 'Not better or worse .... just different' ......

By the same token though ..... the whole point is for you to have fun and for you, obsessing over tone is part of the fun.
I get that even though I don't share the obsession.
So do whatever makes this fun for you.

As for the mix of speakers ...... lots of guys choose to use multiple speaker types at the same time for the purpose of one speaker giving you something the other lacks. There are big money amps that go out of the factory that way ...... once again, you gotta use what makes you happy but I don't necessarily think that mixing speakers in a cab is automatically a bad idea.

I believe you are IMO.
I've said this before too ...... if you spent half as much time on your playing/recording as you do obsessing over minute changes in tone you'd be the baddest player on the planet!
Well Bob, I did show all the guys & myself last night, just how bad I am.....:laughings:.

You're right though man, & I agree....:)

As for the mix of speakers ...... lots of guys choose to use multiple speaker types at the same time for the purpose of one speaker giving you something the other lacks. There are big money amps that go out of the factory that way ...... once again, you gotta use what makes you happy but I don't necessarily think that mixing speakers in a cab is automatically a bad idea.
Like I mentioned, I don't think it's as much a speaker thing as the amp (DSL) itself...It's just the nature of the amp...That said, I think I could use an eq to even out the channels a little more, making the red a little thicker in the low end, & just a little darker overall...

Lol, yup. I fall somewhere in the middle. I do obsess over my tone, but I also know that it doesn't fucking matter. The crowd doesn't give a shit if I use an SG or LES Paul. They don't care if I use my Plexi or the 800. As long as the sound is appropriate for the music, then it's all good. Everything I do is just to entertain myself. I'm like, "ooooh, what guitar and amp am I gonna use today?" The rest of the world is like, "Greg, they all sound the same" :laughings:

I do think miner's speaker mix might matter live though. It might. He's got four very different speakers in one cab. 2 x 2 x-patterned, or top and bottom is one thing, but four vastly different speakers can cause some weird loudness and phase cancellations.

Right guys, I know the people at a gig don't give a shit about any of this stuff, but I've always wanted to sound good no matter what (obviously)...but I do admit I've got it pretty bad with the tone chase thing...maybe playing with these guys will kinda ease that off a little, I dunno, we'll see...

You may be right on the speaker thing Greg....Bob is right about my obsession on the small stuff too, & I admit it....:)

Wonder if there's a thing for tone addiction like Alcoholics Anonymous????:laughings:

Back