The New Tone Thread

Both bottoms were really muddy.
The tops less so but still.

I dunno, less lows, different microphone?
Not use an Ibanez :P

Cool. Yea, The Ibanez is fun to play. Not my first choice but it has brand new strings. My other guitars all have old blubbery strings on them. I'll change the strings on my Lp Jr, and Sparrow tonight and try them. Probably my Epiphone too but i think that needs a set up and has intonation issues. Not real worried about guitar snobbery yet. Just want to pick a speaker to work with. Or two? only other Microphone i have is an Apex 530. I could always try it i suppose.

Those clips are not muddy. Lol.

Miking the bottom speakers can sometimes result in more boom due to the close proximity to floor reflections. I don't hear much difference between the speakers besides the bottom two being a tad thicker probably due to the floor. They all sound good and raunchy. That's a good tone to me. Lots of crunch but with clarity. It's not all fizzy gain.

I think you started at a good point. All the controls about halfway. Checked each speaker with the same mic and placement. That's a good basic starting point. Center speaker will always be the brightest spot. I think that since your speakers do pretty much all sound the same, you don't have any weirdos in there, just pick one and start trying different mic placements with the same mic and same amp settings. I think those are probably Vintage 30s? They're gonna be a bright, cutting speaker. You have center speaker sounds, now mic it right at the dustcap/cone seam, mic it about halfway across the cone, and mic the edge. You'll notice more thickness as you move closer to the edge of the speaker. I tend to like about halfway to the edge on my V30s.

Boomy, muddy, whatever.
There's an uncomfortable frequency in the low mids that I can feel pressing on my ears. It's that bloated feel that you get in your brain when a mix has too much of that region.
Its got clarity in the upper regions but I can't make out the low end movement.

Boomy, muddy, whatever.
There's an uncomfortable frequency in the low mids that I can feel pressing on my ears. It's that bloated feel that you get in your brain when a mix has too much of that region.
Its got clarity in the upper regions but I can't make out the low end movement.

Lol. WTF are you listening on? I'm curious how you hear something the complete opposite that I do. I'm not hearing anything boomy or muddy about those clips.

Well personally I've made the experience with overdriven guitars that they always sound so much better in a mix then by themselves. I usually find it hard to listen to an overdriven guitar completely on it's own. It sounds like a lot of energy but it has no guidance to channel through and wears itself out quickly without other sounds to play off of, which is also why a lot of metal mixes that lack an interactive bass and are very guitar dominated (...And Justice For All, I'm looking at you) tire me out. Kind of like a puppy that wants to play but doesn't have a stick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tone fit great into some kind of rock mix.

See you think they're boomy and muddy, and I'm thinking they might sound thin in a full mix. I think maybe you have amp sim disease. :D

Miking the bottom speakers can sometimes result in more boom due to the close proximity to floor reflections. I don't hear much difference between the speakers besides the bottom two being a tad thicker probably due to the floor. They all sound good and raunchy. That's a good tone to me. Lots of crunch but with clarity. It's not all fizzy gain.

I think you started at a good point. All the controls about halfway. Checked each speaker with the same mic and placement. That's a good basic starting point. Center speaker will always be the brightest spot. I think that since your speakers do pretty much all sound the same, you don't have any weirdos in there, just pick one and start trying different mic placements with the same mic and same amp settings. I think those are probably Vintage 30s? They're gonna be a bright, cutting speaker. You have center speaker sounds, now mic it right at the dustcap/cone seam, mic it about halfway across the cone, and mic the edge. You'll notice more thickness as you move closer to the edge of the speaker. I tend to like about halfway to the edge on my V30s.

Awesome. That makes a lot of sense now that you spoon fed it to me. It's a cement floor with a thick underlay and pretty much the next closest thing to shag carpet made this decade. It would be a bit thicker tone for sure. Thanks. I don't really care much for the fizzy high gain sound so i probably won't stray too far from where i am sitting right now.

I left the controls sort of focused right up the middle because it's easy to remember where they are in case someone comes in fiddling with it -and- i'd like to really try to grab the physical tone of the amp and cab with the mic before i go shaping it with knobs and eq's. Preaching to the choir i am sure so you get where i am coming from.

My next step is to move to the edge, exactly Greg! As a general rule of thumb when placing the mic on the dust cap/cone edge, is it best practice to move it out and away from the other three speakers or is it worth my time and effort to move in towards them to find some sort of blend? Some of you have tricked out cabs with different speakers in them i guess hey? What are you guys typically doing?

Thanks for checking them out guys. Appreciated.

Cool clips Shan, & I don't find the muddy at all myself, listening on Sennheiser HD280's here....If anything (like Greg mentioned), they might be a little thin (in a mix), but not bad dude....I'm assuming you had the mic in the very center of the speaker, & that's the brightest spot...I'm sure you know this, but the farther you move the mic toward the edge, the more meat/bottom you'll have, but you'll also loose some of the high end bite...It really depends on what you're going for, but I do think these clips sound pretty good for your first attempt dude, way better than my first try...

I noticed the Orange has that sludgy, doom rock character to it, & that's cool man, I'm sure you could dial it in differently, but it's a cool tone man, I had been wanting an Orange, but I'm happy with my Marshall sounds....for now....lol...

Remember that these solo'd guitar tones really don't mean much unless they're in a mix (I'm guilty of this way too much), but it does help along the way to figure out how to get the sounds you're after...

Good job dude, just keep playing with the mic position, & don't be afraid to tweak the amp's controls too, you're definitely on your way!!!

I noticed the Orange has that sludgy, doom rock character to it, & that's cool man, I'm sure you could dial it in differently, but it's a cool tone man,

Good ear Miner! It probably does sound that way because i also dropped it to one of those open D-tune thingys. Which, is something i rarely ever will do, but i heard this riff in a song a couple months ago and i was like, 'i need to learn that, it sounds like fun.' So i did. Chances are i won't ever have a dropped d tuning again. But thought it might be fun for really seeing where the meat and potatoes lie in this amps guts. I usually only play power chords or traditional chords. I really love the sound of traditional chords through an over driven amp in punk / rock songs. Love it.

The Orange Amps definitely have their own vibe going and it isn't really near the pristine and smooth edge of a Marshall which is something i had to keep telling myself when i was starting this today. They have that gnarly little bit of break up, mid range soaked bite. And to my ears their cabs have a certain kind of kick in the nuts foghorn kind of honk i dig. I was SO used to hearing you guys and all your Marshall tones that when i heard this I sort of puked i my mouth a little and was like what am i doing wrong. HaHa. I grabbed a beer and i got over it. A marshall is a marshall and an orange is an orange, etc etc. As long as it doesn't sound amateur that is all i can really hope for out of this.

Ha, that's true. Orange has it's very own flavor - pun intended! They usually have a snarling thick and aggressive low-mid/midrange and they really work well live. I really like some of the Orange stuff. I think the Rockerverb is one of the best amps out there for pure raw rock and roll guitar. Great amp, but damn it's expensive. I had my hands on a TH30 for a little while, and the clean channel cranked to max was bad ass.

Anyway, yeah I usually try to move away from other speakers when miking off-center. If you're miking off-axis, tilt it away from the other speakers.

Shan, be sure to listen to Greg's little tips man, and if you're not sure, ask....He's helped me learn how to get some great tones with my gear dude, he's a fuckin' nut at times:laughings:, but he really does know what he's talking about....

And, I wanna thank you for giving me GAS once again man, I had my eye on an OR15, but chose the Chupacabra because I wanted a plexi, but you've sparked my interest in an Orange amp again.....:)

Hey that's good. Do you like the sounds better? What amp(s) are you using?

Well they don't have that default harsh fizzyness and the low end is tighter.
I don't have any "proper" (up-to-date) amp sims at home. I have a small version of the old Pod Farm that came with my interface and the freebie plug-in that came with Pro Tools. I've never tried Amplitude or Guitar Rig, which are supposed to be a lot better.
I've only got my DV Mark Triple 6, which is a proper big 120 W tube head, and there is a Tiny Terror at the place where I re-amp. I've got to carry the amp in every time on foot though and it's a half hour walk both ways. I also don't want to do it while it's raining, which is a lot in the UK. That's why I'm going to get an Axe FX.

I have a small version of the old Pod Farm that came with my interface and the freebie plug-in that came with Pro Tools. I've never tried Amplitude or Guitar Rig, which are supposed to be a lot better.

Dude, you know there are free versions of Amplitube 3 & Guitar Rig, right??? They're pretty limited, but just sayin'.....I personally think POD Farm is way outdated myself, of course you can get decent/usable sounds out of it, but again, just sayin'......

Amplitube 3 Free

Guitar Rig 5 Free

LePou/Poulin plugins

These versions are pretty limited, but, they're free dude....

LePou/Poulin, which are totally free, & IMO are as good as these paid versions, but you'll need some IR's for these, but you should be able to find all kinds of 'em with a search...

I'm glad I don't have to pack my amps a half hour, daaamn....The DSL-1 & Tweaker wouldn't be that bad, but the Chupa & DSL100 are pretty heavy as I'm assuming your DV amp is being a full sized tube head....

Back