The Big Can't Sing List

Even hotter than Lillian Munster:

[video=youtube;1TS5tvbYJsc&feature]video[/video]

Oh ya! That's the guy Dinty.
Now you see ..... you can be very bad and still get national recognition,TV interview spots and a record deal with a major label.

But where is he now? Did he go the way of most novelty, flash in the pan acts?
Living in a van down by the river!

:cool:

William Hung is the best! What are you talking about?? Have you heard his version of "I Believe I Can Fly"? It's like the best thing I've ever heard!!! It's pure ear-gasm!:drunk:

Ok, enough for the sarcasm, the guy's really funny, but he should have sing instead "I Believe I Can Sing"...

... you can be very bad and still get national recognition,TV interview spots and a record deal with a major label...
Steve Marcus, longtime sax player with Buddy Rich, said that the criteria for whether music sucked or not was if it was mediocre or not.

Wiliam Hung is so bad that he's not mediocre at all. He's not in the middle. He's definitely horrible.

Bill (we're buds :) ) is so bad that he's actually good - that's why we're talking about him. He excels at being shitty and that makes him good.

Geddy Lee a monotone? You've obviously never actually listened to any Rush tunes. You may not care for his voice but the guy is extremely talented.

Examples of really terrible singers: Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jager, Peter Garrett, David Byrne, Frank Sinatra..... There are just so many that the list would be huge.

ocnor,

But, they make/made money. What does that say about how they are perceived by their faithful fans and listeners?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

seeing justin bieber (doesnt deserve capitals) have any of you heard one of his songs that was slowed down 800% its like half an hour long, now thats somthing a little special

The unfortunate truth is that 99.99999999999% of all band singers can't sing fort their life. It would be much easier to make a short list of the ones that actually can sing.
There are so many bands that would be incredible if they just got a good singer. I was thinking this the other day about the original Yardbirds, before they became Zeppelin and snagged arguably the best singer in rock history.

Another unfortunate truth is that non singers somehow think their opinion of what constitutes a good singer actually carries some weight. If someone don't know anything about a subject, it's best to say nothing, doing otherwise just advertises they have no ****ing idea.

Another unfortunate truth is that non singers somehow think their opinion of what constitutes a good singer actually carries some weight. If someone don't know anything about a subject, it's best to say nothing, doing otherwise just advertises they have no ****ing idea.

Mmmmmm...I think you're a bit off base here.

I sing and have so for a long time...but I think even if you don't sing, you can deduce good VS bad singing if you have an ear for music....and that's especially true if you are a non-singing musician, as most musicians have developed some kind of ear for music (OK, maybe not all musicians ;) ), and they can tell if someone is off key or just singing badly.

But I do think in most typical bands that you find in clubs on any given Friday/Saturday night...there are many singers that sing poorly and don't hear it. Only once in awhile do you find a real talented singer...most are either just pretty decent, mediocre or downright bad, and I think a lot of that comes from most club band singers trying to sing way beyond their capability.
Sometimes if they jmust transposed the music for their range and/or picked only music that fits their range and style...many would sound a lot better than they do, but too often in most club bands, there is an attempt to cover all kinds of songs...and most times the singer can't cover them all very well (heck, most times the entire band can’t cover them all very well)...but there is this ego-driven determination to still do those songs. :D

*shurg*

Last edited:
Does it take a master carpenter to know if a defective table isn't likely to be sold to the Queen ?
Just last week I diagnosed chickenpox in my younger son. The Doc was adamant that it wasn't but on further examination had to conclude it was. I used to watch 'Casualty', 'St Elsewhere', 'Medical centre', 'Cardiac arrest' and other medical dramas but I have no medical knowledge that I'd stake your life on. Many engineers and producers and agents and managers and instrumentalists are non singers. Are you saying their opinion is null and void because of this ? This is a view that needs to be questioned then analysed then, in my opinion, dispelled because in my estimation, it just isn't true.
Besides which, I reckon you would find that more people can sing in tune than can't. Most people never work on their voices simply because there's no real need for them to.
If you take this view to it's logical conclusion, no one can have any kind of opinion that carries weight about anything that they are not directly involved in.
I do agree with
If someone don't know anything about a subject, it's best to say nothing
though. But not the first bit.
On a positive note, I suppose it would make for a quieter universe.

Firstly, I was mainly aiming at the poster I quoted who started with the ridiculous statement that only .000000000001% of band singers can sing for their life, but since others have chimed in I'll address a few extra points.

Apparently all these bands, especially the ones in clubs on a Friday/Saturday night either have non singing band members that don't have much of an ear at all, and they can't tell their singer can't sing, or they choose to put up with the fact night after night, all the while hating what their singer is doing. You'd think if it was the later the musicians wanted ads have no room left for anything but singers.

Hardly any singer can cover all songs well, and the few that could should be doing something more productive with their amazing voice than covers I'd hope. The "ego driven determination" to do some cover songs doesn't necessarily come from the singer. In my experience you have to fight pretty hard in a cover band to get to the point where only the singer gets to choose the songs. I've been stunned at some of the things I've been asked to try by band members who've heard me sing often before, yet still seem to have no grasp of range, style, or tone. Of all the criteria they seem to use in song selection, the singing and lyrical content isn't near the top of the list. Thankfully I've left that basket of snakes behind, but I've certainly learned to be suspicious of non singing musicians and their opinions.

Producers aren't necessarily better. I've heard 'em whining on and on about "singers", rolling their eyes etc, but their approach and attitude contributes to the problems. There's probably just as many singers whining about producers who have to have an opinion on everything, well informed or not.

Just because you find a singers tone annoying doesn't mean they can't sing. It's just your particular ear it grates on. I can't stand the sound of Brian Johnson's voice, but I'd never say he couldn't sing, and plenty obviously don't have a problem with him. If you reckon Hetfield, Corgan and Cobain can't sing, have a bash at singing some of their songs better than they have, it should be easy, right?

Finally, I've managed to out diagnose a doctor before too, but this hasn't lead me to offer my opinion up on all things medical since. I'm afraid I subscribe to the view that experience is everything, without it, you should refrain from being critical of those who do what you cannot. I can't stand the "I just know" types who consider actual experience an insignificant detail.

A quieter universe, now that's more like it! :)

Firstly, I was mainly aiming at the poster I quoted who started with the ridiculous statement that only .000000000001% of band singers can sing for their life,
I didn't agree with what that poster said either. I'm a most disageeable chap !
Finally, I've managed to out diagnose a doctor before too, but this hasn't lead me to offer my opinion up on all things medical since. I'm afraid I subscribe to the view that experience is everything, without it, you should refrain from being critical of those who do what you cannot. I can't stand the "I just know" types who consider actual experience an insignificant detail.
Oh I agree with that in part. Before my Dad died my little brother diagnosed his ailment correctly ~ the Docs again disputed it only to announce three months later what my brother had been telling them. It doesn't make him an expert and that's why I made the quip about me having watched medical dramas. It certainly doesn't mean every layperson's pronouncement is right, neither does it mean experience counts for nothing. Experience should give one the edge........but no one is infalible and that very experience can blind one to things that actually a novice can pick up. The history of recorded music demonstrates that a thousandfold.
It's kind of different with some things though. A non singer's opinion of someone's voice can be just as valid as Diana Ross' or Robert Plant's. I can't play fast guitar at all but my thoughts on fast guitarists aren't redundant. Do you need to be an experienced expert driver to know when someone else is driving dangerously or not a particularly good driver ?

I remember Back when I was a teenager and listening to all of the old folk Say when every they heard the Beatles, Elvis or any modern artist if they didn't fall into the category that was very thin , you know like Andy Williams and the such, ~ ~They call that singing? That's nothing but screaming!!!
On and on and on. But eventually those modern artist must of grown on them cause after a while the bitching got to be less and less. In fact I think it was the Saturday morning TV show The Monkees with their bubble gum soft pop/rock that helped pave and smooth the way for what was soon to come down the road with rock and roll. .... Come to think of it look at the talent that was writing most of their material!!!

Geddy Lee a monotone? You've obviously never actually listened to any Rush tunes. You may not care for his voice but the guy is extremely talented.

Examples of really terrible singers: Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jager, Peter Garrett, David Byrne, Frank Sinatra..... There are just so many that the list would be huge.

Sinatra?

Lol, okay bud.

The geek from Bush with that fake gruff voice, hilarious. They played on Much Music live and his voice kept breaking, it was great, they got laughed off the stage. Was he trying to sound like Rick Butler of the Furs?

Wanna laugh your ass off, Jonas Brothers TRYING to do A-ha's Take on me. Hang on, I'll try to find a link.

Hey Buzzard you found my post cool stuff huh LOL at J bros. kind of reminds me of William Shatner singing *Lucy in the sky with diamonds*. :laughings:

Back