the behringer chronicles....

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiorickm

hi folks. this is the first thread that i have ever started. so here goes.

i researched....until i was blue in the face, about (budget) type mixing boards. There are always comment about behringer mackie etc. and everone has an opinion.

what i found lacking anywhere, was follow up or user information about the stuff.

i even email people who had posted reviews about the products and asked how they liked them a year later....and no one answered.

so here is what i would like to do. I just ordered, and it arrived, a Behringer ub2442fx pro mixing console. I will be using it as a PA mixer, a 2 track input into my MR-8, and a 4 track input to my tascam tape deck.

I would like to post a monthly type "review" as it were of the months operations of the board and it's performance. i may not be the most experienced comparator, but hey,..it will be good info.

and to the moderators...i promise i am not a wind bag. i will keep it pretty short, if you allow me to do this.

radiorickm,

I'm not sure how long you have been a member here, but just in case here goes. First, you will find that when you mention Behringer you will get a lot of flaming about how crappy their stuff is, especially their boards. Just a warning. Now to your post. I had a mackie 1604 pro and sold it and bought a behringer MX3242X. I dont' regret it at all and will not spend the money for a mackie just for the name. The behringer has way more flexability and is just a quite as the mackie. I also use a Behringer MDX2600 Composer Pro-XL, Behringer XM8500 mics for live gigs (you won't believe how good these mics are for the money and I use Behringer Ultra- DI DI120's in the studio and live. I have had my board for over 2 years and have had NO problems with it. Very quite pre's and plenty of ins and outs. I have had the 2600 for about the same time and it works great. I have had NO problems with any of the behringer stuff I bought and would buy more when the time comes. I was looking at the board you bought but I went with a behringer pmx 2000 pa head instead. It is perfect for what I do. An acoustic duo act. Bottom line, if you have a lot of money an can afford the really pro gear then go for it. If your budget is like mine, you can't beat behringer equipment.

peace

boardman

Radiorickm -

I don't know your experience level, so please assume that this is for those who aren't "in the know" on these things...

The Behringer mixer FX processors (as most built-in FX processors in budget mixers) are INSANELY noisy. That's not to say that they don't sound pretty good, though...

The obvious workaround is to completely ignore unity gain settings when it comes to the FX area. Push the input and lower the master FX fader. It's going to take a lot to clip it, so there's a bunch of headroom in there. Take advantage of it.

I had to mix through one of those boards once and I had to bring the master FX fader to -15 before the noise level was adequate.

I'm not "dissing" the boards - It sounded fine - However, until that FX fader was brought down, the noise from the FX was terrible.

Just something to keep in mind before you take it out of the box. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Why in the WORLD would we need a monthly review on a Behringer mixer!!?? Puh-leeeeease!!!

Please save your time & breath and just concentrate on getting a good sound out of your new board!

Good Luck!!! (you're gonna need it!)

Pavlov's Behringer watch dog strikes again. :D I think the review's a great idea. There are a lot of people out there using those machines. Go for it.

hell yeah...I want to know all about that board.
I read people constantly slagging on behringer stuff, I use a bunch of their equipment and love it all.
I do use a mackie board and am willing to check out a behringer for sure.

bring on the reviews, Ill read em.

dont listen to these opinionated morons.

they all forgot the name of the site is "homerecording.com"
not " worldclassproequipmentandelitistpricksonly.com"

FatDogStudios said:

dont listen to these opinionated morons.

wHO THE F#CK YOU CALLIN' A MORON!!!??

Check yourself b-4 you wreck yourself!!

I speak from use and experience with Behringer equipment and can give an honest opinion on most of their products as I've OWNED several of their units! I have given madd luv to the ECM8000 and several of their dynamic processors but money s/b wisely spent elsewhere on ANYTHING than Beh's mixers!!

And as far as I recognizing that this is HOMERECORDING, you need to take your ignorance over to the "CAVE" here and see what the f#ck I'm talkin' about!!

Signed a former Behringer mixer owner!

radiorickm said:
hi folks. this is the first thread that i have ever started. so here goes.

i researched....until i was blue in the face, about (budget) type mixing boards. There are always comment about behringer mackie etc. and everone has an opinion.

what i found lacking anywhere, was follow up or user information about the stuff.

i even email people who had posted reviews about the products and asked how they liked them a year later....and no one answered.

so here is what i would like to do. I just ordered, and it arrived, a Behringer ub2442fx pro mixing console. I will be using it as a PA mixer, a 2 track input into my MR-8, and a 4 track input to my tascam tape deck.

I would like to post a monthly type "review" as it were of the months operations of the board and it's performance. i may not be the most experienced comparator, but hey,..it will be good info.

and to the moderators...i promise i am not a wind bag. i will keep it pretty short, if you allow me to do this.

I had a Behringer MX8000 24ch/8buss board for 6 years. This is the absolute best board for the $$ that was ever made. Iupgraded last year, but that Behringer board was flawless and worked almost every day for 6 years. The new owner is very happy with it. Yeah, their QC sucks, but when they work, they work well and are reliable. I cannot say the same for the Mackie I had. It was also a 24ch/8buss that was very unreliable. So, Behringer may have copied the Mackie, but they did it better.

boardman said:
I dont' regret it at all and will not spend the money for a mackie just for the name.

Something about the idea of someone buying a Mackie for the "name" seems insanely funny. Kind of like buying a KIA or a Hyundai for the name. Regardless of how good or bad the cars are, I never heard of anyone buying one for the "name" value.

Things must have really changed while I was asleep.

Like spending $150 on a pair of Calvin Klein jeans when you coulda' spent $20 on some Levi's!;)

.........somebody needs to show my wife this thread................

Zeppelin456 said:
No his point is it would be like somebody buying the Levi's for the name

Some-1 still needs to tell my wif-ee this 'cause Lawd only knows she ain't listenin' to me!
$150 for a pair o' jeans just because the d@mn thing says "Calvin Klein!"

Hey radiorickm........ I think it's a great idea.
It will be interesting to see if the thing self-destructs like all the Begringer bashers say it will.
I don't have a lot of exp. with Behringer stuff......but I do have a V-Amp2 and it performs comparably to my POD and my J-Station.
So bring it on......(and I wouldn't really worry about any moderators thinking you're too long-winded :D )

FatDogStudios said:

they all forgot the name of the site is "homerecording.com"
not " worldclassproequipmentandelitistpricksonly.com"
Its not?
Oh shit!
I better check the door. :(

How much is that Beri Board anyway?
Man, for about $500 ducks you could get a used Yamaha O1V, have a decent bank of pre's, more effects than you could ever use, motorized faders, Midi Machine Control, Scene recalls, AND a complete DAW control surface!

But go ahead get that Berhi, write it up too.
Then let's see what your using 5 years from now.
I think you'd outgrow it quick, and end up trying to sell it on e-bay for a fraction of what you paid for it.

Michael Jones said:
Its not?
Oh shit!
I better check the door. :(

How much is that Beri Board anyway?
Man, for about $500 ducks you could get a used Yamaha O1V, have a decent bank of pre's, more effects than you could ever use, motorized faders, Midi Machine Control, Scene recalls, AND a complete DAW control surface!

But go ahead get that Berhi, write it up too.
Then let's see what your using 5 years from now.
I think you'd outgrow it quick, and end up trying to sell it on e-bay for a fraction of what you paid for it.

Tread lightly brutha' M.J., some-1 might call you a MORON or a SNOB!!!;) :p ;)

Man fatlogstudios is still pissing me off.

YO FATASSDOGSTUD - Can you not see that you're just as 'OPINIONATED' as anyone else? YOU'RE THE MORON! Your OPINION is that behringer boards are great! and you think that that's impartial and objective? NO-ONE IS WITHOUT OPINION YOU NUTJOB!

The fact is that the Yamaha MG series mixers are the same price as the behringers and wipe the floor with them in every possible area. so how can behringers be good? i can get any number of 2nd-hand mackies for the price you buy a new behringer.

that said, i do currently own a small behringer mixer. it works fine but i wish i'd known the yamahas were coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back