Sigmas

Danny Love

Are Sigmas any good? I just recently started hearing about them and someone has an acoustic Sigma for sale for $150, just curious how nice of a guitar they are. Aren't they Martin knock offs or something like that?

While I'm at it, has anyone heard of Sonora Mandolins? A google search doesn't bring up much for me.

Are Sigmas any good? I just recently started hearing about them and someone has an acoustic Sigma for sale for $150, just curious how nice of a guitar they are. Aren't they Martin knock offs or something like that?

While I'm at it, has anyone heard of Sonora Mandolins? A google search doesn't bring up much for me.

they are very very good for the price range. i have a sigma dreadnought that i love and has served me well. i actually just recorded a simple mic comparison with it if you want to hear one in action.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9645

what i know about sigma is that they are martin spec'd and certified, but built in asia.

do you know the model by any chance?

I have a Sigma DM4 that must be about 15 years old - which I bought for $150. It has a very deep rich sound. I compared it to a friend's Martin (I think it was a D18) -which may not be a good apples to apples comparison - but the Sigma held it's own.

I have a 22 year old Sigma DM4VC I paid $250 for in '96 that sounds awesome. It's made in Korea under Martin specs. When I decided to upgrade to a higher end model acoustic, it took me 2 years to find a guitar that had better tone and playability. I played Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Larivees, Takamines, Yairis, Seagulls... I couldn't find anything under $1500 that would touch it. That being said, I have also played some of the newer Sigmas that sucked ass. Main thing is search around.

there was this Sigma acoustic/electric at the guitar shop near me when i used to live in Fremont, i would go over there and play that thing all the time, but just never got around to buying it haha. very nice guitar for the price, i loved that thing.

I own a few Martins and would like to think Sigmas would be cool too but I've never played one I liked. I would classify the ones I've had my hands on as a mere stick of wood. YMMV.

The one I played had a nice balanced tone. Best guitar there in the price range by far. Just didn't have the "richness" that a Martin has.

For a budget guitar, I wouldn't recommend anything else except maybe one of the good Washburns which are rare to find from my experience.

Back