Replacement Woofer For BX8

taylorguitarman

I bought a used pair of BX8's recently for listening to music in my office (and possibly using them in my studio) but one of them has developed a disturbing crackling/distortion sound. I tried switching the speaker channels and the sound followed the monitor. I'm pretty sure it's the woofer and I had my brother take a listen when he was over and he thought it sounded like a blown voice coil. I took the woofer out but didn't see anything noticeable. It hides itself pretty well in rock music but anything acoustic sounds awful.
I really like the speakers otherwise. Can anyone recommend a good replacement woofer to use with these? There's a local shop that can recone them but I think new woofers would be cheaper.

taylorguitarman said:
There's a local shop that can recone them but I think new woofers would be cheaper.
While I obviously can't hear the speakers myself, the symptoms you describe does indeed sound like a classic blown coil.

If you switched channel leads and the problem did not travel (stayed in the same monitor), then the problem is unquestionably within the monitor. While it could be a problem in the crossover circuitry or in the cone, the symptoms you describe of it being a crackling sound and the sound not being as evident with denser music each in turn are non-characteristic of either a crossover or cone problem, respectively; they do however match very well the textbook symptoms of a weak or blown voice coil.

The point here is that re-coning the woofer will not fix the problem, unless they were to replace or repair the whole coil itself as well; and that is something that is monetarily better off done by replacing the whole woofer assembly. You seem to be on the exact right track.

Sorry I can't help you with an exact source for the replacement element. Best I could suggest to to contact a few authorized repair centers and find one that is friendly enough to agree to give you the name of the OEM from which they get their replacement parts. Appeal to the geek in them, and they'll give it up ;)

G.

I finally got a call back from M-Audio and I've ordered a replacement woofer (from them). Cost was $45 + shipping so I'm still well under getting a new set of monitors. I guess I'll have to be a little bit more careful next time on how much I push the amp.

Back