Recording level noise

Gavin

I'm getting constant recording level noise. I haven't a clue where it's coming from. I checked everything. My recording level meter shows a constant noise coming from sonewhere even when the mic is off.

I have a HP notebook with a VIA Audio soundcard and I use mic in to record.

Anyone know where this constant recording level noise might be coming from?

Thanks.

First I'd have to ask; what kind of noise? (hum, hiss?) is everything set to propper gain staging? How loud is it compared to a recorded full level signal?
Wayne

mixsit said:
First I'd have to ask; what kind of noise? (hum, hiss?) is everything set to propper gain staging? How loud is it compared to a recorded full level signal?
Wayne

It's hiss. Like tape hiss. Actually louder than tape hiss. Especially when I normalize the track.

mixsit said:
Wayne

It's hiss. Like tape hiss. Actually louder than tape hiss. Especially when I normalize the track.

Sorry, the only way I know to help is to break it down. So far you've said it's not hum, and it gets louder when you trun it up.:p
It's probably either broke or the levels aren't right.
How's the levels?
:D

Even my Delta 1010 has noise that is added to every track that I record. I recorded and normalized it, then encoded as .mp3.

Can't find the file right now (I have a copy at work) but it sounds like white noise.

hey gavin, at what level is the noise? when you use your laptops on board soundcard getting a -60/-40 db background noise is pretty normal.

i'm not even sure if the mike input on your soundcard is stereo, but most laptop sound ins are totaly unsuited for recording purposes

wetteke said:
hey gavin, at what level is the noise? when you use your laptops on board soundcard getting a -60/-40 db background noise is pretty normal.

Yikes. There's audio circuits that can't manage -70 or 80, or better?
Wayne

wetteke said:

i'm not even sure if the mike input on your soundcard is stereo, but most laptop sound ins are totaly unsuited for recording purposes

wow that's alot of noise. yeah I get like 32.5. It starts at that.

Good thing I also have a VX400 and can go through the USB. That way I get no noise at all. I just wanted to try and record using my N-Track. But it seems the USB way is much better I guess. Oh well. Thanks for the helps guys.

Back