Recording doubled guitars

Phaferreira

Hello everyone!
First of all, sorry for my poor english!
So, I saw many people recording at least twice each part of guitar track, to have more punch due to the different perfomance (even with the same guitar player). Ok, so if I'm just looking for a different performance, using the same SETUP (guitar directly in the interface, using some guitar rig presets), can I send the signal of the two channel (recording the guitar twice) to a third channel with the guitar rig plugin? If its possible how I set the tracks I/O?
Thanks
Paulo

Yeah setup a group track and send them both to that. On each guitar track there should be a "send" channel. That's what you use to determine how much signal from each you send to the group track. How exactly you do it all will vary depending on the DAW.

I don't know what the guitar rig plugin does. But yes it's pretty common to send both tracks of a doubled part to a single aux bus and apply processing there. That's not the only way to do it. But definitely nothing wrong with doing it that way. And generally people will hard pan the doubled tracks - one to the left and the other to the right.

Are you asking if you can send 3 performances to 1 instance of guitar rig? Yes, it's possible. No, it isn't a good idea. It would be like plugging 3 guitars into the same amplifier at the same time. It would just be a mess.

You need to have each performance going into its own guitar rig.

I'm not sure that I understand why folks like to double and triple their guitar tracks. I believe that it only serves to make things sound sloppier. But oh well, maybe some songs can handle it.

I'm not sure that I understand why folks like to double and triple their guitar tracks. I believe that it only serves to make things sound sloppier. But oh well, maybe some songs can handle it.
You double it for stereo. One left and one right. The third one is generally unnecessary, unless it is playing a different part.

It only sounds sloppy if you play it sloppy.

Are you asking if you can send 3 performances to 1 instance of guitar rig? Yes, it's possible. No, it isn't a good idea. It would be like plugging 3 guitars into the same amplifier at the same time. It would just be a mess.

You need to have each performance going into its own guitar rig.
This.

You double it for stereo. One left and one right. The third one is generally unnecessary, unless it is playing a different part.

It only sounds sloppy if you play it sloppy.

And this.

Hey guys! Thanks for the answers!
Farview, It would be just 2 guitar tracks, but sending the signal to one aux channel using just one guitar rig plugin! But thanks for the advice, I'll go with a separate plugin for each track, even using the same preset.
About the double, I was asking cause that was how the tech guy recorded the first CD of my band, and I really liked the sound... He doubled the left and righ guitar track.
Thanks again!

You need a separate instance of guitar rig for each performance. That is the only way to do what you want.

The more performances you use, the less gain you need. (To a point)

As I understand it, GuitarRig is by default dual-mono, which is the same thing as sending L and R of the stereo input to individual but identical rigs. As long as the two guitars are hard panned opposite one another going in, it works out the same as running each to a separate amp. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I've tried it. I know PodFarm works this way. Of course, they will also be hard panned coming out. I think that's the way most people would want to do it anyway, but if you want to pan them individually after GuitarRig, you'll have to figure out how your DAW lets you do that.

During the recording of the black album Metallica's James hetfield and his guitar tech would use a stroboscopic tuner to tune his guitar a few cents sharp and double parts (not sloppily) in order to create some frequency beating thus widening the perceived guitar sound. I'm pretty sure there is some panning going on there as well.

Back