please help the newb

cwhaley

hey guys,

Really interested in studio recording, making music videos etc etc for myself. does anyone have something that really starts at the foundation that I can read and learn from?

I am souly interested in rock n roll recording so I don't need any auto tune info or anything like that.

To be honest I would really like to record all my stuff live like the late great Tom Petty.

I have studio one AI and software
compressor mic and shure sm57
electric acoustic and a few strats
that's it!

Looking for some info to get me truly started. Right now all I know how to do is press record and sing in the mic haha

Thanks in advance

And welcome from me. I suggest you setup the (capacitor I am sure you meant!) mic about 1foot/300mm from the 12th fret of the acoustic guitar and record a short clip at 44.1kHz* and 24bits. The level in S1 should be roughly at the -20dBFS mark and loudest peaks no higher than -8dBFS. Shut TF up for about 10 secs at the end of the clip and record 'silence'.

I don't know Studio One but I dare say there is an MP3 encoder in it and so convert the clip to 320kbps and attach it. I think you can do that at 7 posts? If not just chew the fat for while!

Such a clip will tell the great and good here much, how good the recording electronics is working (should be no problems) but most of all, what your room sounds like and it is likely to be bad to 'king 'orrible! THEN they can start to advise about correction.

The make and model of the mic would help and also how you are listening to your creations? You can use headphones but as you progress you will really need some form of loudspeaker monitoring and that brings you back to the room!

*I have purposely put in some technical terms because there is a basic level of 'jargon' you need to learn in order to communicate. Don't sit and sweat..ASK!

Dave.

And welcome from me. I suggest you setup the (capacitor I am sure you meant!) mic about 1foot/300mm from the 12th fret of the acoustic guitar and record a short clip at 44.1kHz* and 24bits. The level in S1 should be roughly at the -20dBFS mark and loudest peaks no higher than -8dBFS. Shut TF up for about 10 secs at the end of the clip and record '
I don't know Studio One but I dare say there is an MP3 encoder in it and so convert the clip to 320kbps and attach it. I think you can do that at 7 posts? If not just chew the fat for while!

Such a clip will tell the great and good here much, how good the recording electronics is working (should be no problems) but most of all, what your room sounds like and it is likely to be bad to 'king 'orrible! THEN they can start to advise about correction.

The make and model of the mic would help and also how you are listening to your creations? You can use headphones but as you progress you will really need some form of loudspeaker monitoring and that brings you back to the room!

*I have purposely put in some technical terms because there is a basic level of 'jargon' you need to learn in order to communicate. Don't sit and sweat..ASK!

Dave.

Thanks again Dave! The mic is an mxl 770. You have been incredibly helpful! I will get that clip up asap!

Back