New song - I Can't Say I Won't Shed No Tears

Matcham

I'd love to know your thoughts. The song is a true story btw, tho from a long time ago. (I'm alright now!)

I'm finding the vocal cracks kind of distracting. Where you stop your vocal chords when a word swings up to a high note, and it's just breath.
You're doing that on purpose, right? I could see it as a cool effect, but I think you're over-using it a bit.

Mix wise, it seems alright. Vocals might be a touch loud. It's a very warm mix. The piano, some of the guitars, and the bass are all occupying the same sort of mid range in both mix and panning so that they blend together a lot. It's not bad, but if you do lose a lot of nuance in each of those instruments if you'd wanted to keep that.

Sounds like a good song. Good to hear people doing this kind of music at the Clinic. I'm a fan of the old Country.

Just what Steve said. That vocal tick, if you're doing it deliberately, you should stop or minimize it. Likewise his comments on the midrange. Your mix needs some space around the lead vocal. I heard some timing mistakes on the bass line.

Thanks guys!. Yeah the vocal cracks have only recently snuck into my performances and I don't know why. I've been meaning to stamp them out so thanks for the confirmation. I don't mind a warm mix but can see (hear) there's maybe an instrument too many in that range. I like the piano vibe but it's a tricky instrument to blend. Lose it?

Hmmm... Piano is kind of a full-range instrument. You can't really notch out it's own space.

Maybe get everything else in a tighter band so that they can't interfere with each other (HPF the bass, band-pass the guitars), and there won't be too much conflict?

I liked the slide guitar. The levels on the bed tracks sound great. I liked the sound of pretty much all the instruments.

The vocal is quite a bit too loud. It's got an abrasiveness to it - sounds like a big presence boost. The performance is kind of over-done. Lot's of vocal inflections, slides up to notes, etc.

If you haven't heard the Fountains of Wayne song "Hung Up On You", I'd go look it up. I think you'd like it. This song reminds me of that.

Thanks again. There's a slight presence boost on the vocal but I experimented with a vocal limiter on this one and I reckon I've overcooked it. OK I'm gonna re-do the vocal track with the new chain I've been playing with.

I thought it was a pretty good mix...not far off what I grew up with...dominant vocal over most of the music. However, there is a little too much low-mid on the vocals. It just seem to sit in the mix as well as it could. Seems like it is sitting on top of the mix and not in it.

Back