Neve 1073 DPD to Babyfacepro? Converters

kakashix

hello,

i already connected my 1073 mic preamps to my babyface pro input 3 but i also want to use the converters of the dpd version...

i heard that it can be difficult to connect the dpd to babyface pro, is that true?

how do i connect the dpd converters to my babyface pro?
i uploaded 2 screenshots... do i need to connect "AES SYNC" to my babyface pro SPDIF with the following cable XLR to SPDIF?

or how do i do that?

Attachments

• dpd.jpg
    dpd.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 27
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 4
AFAICT the pre amp outputs S/PDIF on BNC so you would need BNC to RCA to feed the Babyface but I am NOT going to wade through the .pdf manual for you, I bet it goes on a bit!

If you want to ship the pre amp to me I will spend no more than 3 months learning every wrinkle AND pay return shipping!

Dave.

The only digital input I see on the BabyFace Pro is ADAT optical. There are no optical outputs on the 1073 DPD. I don't see any way to connect these two devices digitally. Maybe there exists a device that can translate AES to ADAT optical, but that just seems way overcomplicated. I'd stick with the analog line outputs into the line inputs on the BabyFace and use RME's excellent ADC.

but on the left side the 2 (OUT 1/L and OUT 2/R) are AES Outputs or not?
and on the left the 2 (DSD L and R) are DSD Outputs with BNC?

look at the picture please

Attachments

• wa.jpg
    wa.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 19
At a guess and only a guess, you need to convert the AES to S/PDIF optical which the Babyface Pro appears to be capable of.

One of the devices needs to provide a 'clock' for syncronizing. How that is done between these two devices I haven't a clue and that would take some reading of the manual.
Understanding Digital Clocking for Audio - SweetCare | Sweetwater

Not sure if this would work or not....
Hosa ODL312 | Sweetwater

Aha! Did not realize the BF was optical. Ok, you can buy a very cheap converter, co ax to optical for about 15 quid. I cannot see that they can have any influence on sound quality because they are simply a hex inverter chip driving a LED. There is a more expensive version that contains two converters so you can go both ways.

Dave.

Back