My biggest issues with mixing is EQing and levels

I give you some credit...

I see a change in attitude that I probably wouldn't have shown when I first started encountering these problems and asking questions about them...so that's to your credit.

"That's not always true... Underground rappers that wouldn't have access to the producer who created these industry beats would not be able to get the instrumental/beat "tracked out". I've heard plenty get on those type of beats and still sound right. You have to create that "pocket" and that's by dropping frequencies inside the beat. It's not going to sound as full, YES. But it will sound a million times better than trying to record over the beat. You have to drop lows and mids (rarely the highs, if ever)."

Now that you mention it, I have had SOME success with pre-engineered beats...but as you mention, they're never quite as full as something I've got tracked out. I think it depends on the beat, and sometimes you basically get lucky...if they've pre-engineered (as Glen mentioned) a pocket in, and it happens to fit your voice, then you're in the clear. It seems like both you and Glen have mentioned techniques to "massage" that pocket, which is something I'm unfamiliar with, but would be interested in learning as well. I think what some people have been referring to (and I envision) are the extremely pre-limited/smashed beats that leave little room for anything to be added.

Im not understanding what it is you want here. So instead of repeating the same thing over and over again I will tell you what I do.

First drop the volume of the beat to at least half. You can raise to comfort but it should not be smashing to the top. Record your vocals, but this is where I usually adjust some settings. If your using any hardware compression on vocals, preamp adjustments, so on and so forth. This is where your EARS come into play. You dont make these adjustments based on headphones.

What your doing is the same old "fix it in the mix" way. Which definitely doesnt work because 3/4 the mixing has been done without the vocals. So this is where I could make adjustments to eq. I cant tell you where and how much. Its just something you will hear. When it sits, you will know. If you cant get it to sit then move on.

You keep talking about industry artists and professionals doing things yet you specifically said your not looking to achieve a "pro" sound. You got tons of advice on what to do. Spouting off things like "I've been around engineers who've worked in pro studios for over 10 years. I've WATCHED THEM DO IT." only makes you look completely arrogant. Thing about it is, some of the people helping you ARE engineers who have been doing this for over 10 years. You obviously didnt learn anything then and it looks like the cycle repeats itself. I guess good luck.

This thread is full of fail...

Basically, keep trying and you'll figure it out. Or you won't. Mixing with shitty monitors is painting with drunk glasses on. You can't possibly have any idea what the stuff you're doing actually sounds like, and thus you can't make even remotely educated decisions on how to fix the problems you can't even hear.

$0.02

Back