Headphone Upgrade suggestions (Personal Use)

Pinky

and The Brain...
My needs have changed as I exit recording and enter the 'listening' leg of my musical journey. 8 years ago I tried a bunch of headphones, some still available, with the intent of finding a compromise between something I could daily drive for casual music listening and tracking, and something more detailed for getting mixes most of the way there/fine tuning (before moving to the studio monitors for the final tweaks). I'm parting ways with my Sennheiser HD600 open back headphones, used only for that detailed mixing stage. I still have the same Audio-Technica ATH-M50 from many years ago, and these have been very good overall headphones. I like the solid bass delivery and of course the relatively bargain-level price. But they're weaker in the mid and high frequency response, which I'm looking to improve with the purchase of a new set of primary headphones for 99% personal use.

I realize selecting headphones is a very personal process, but finding someplace local with a good selection even in Las Vegas isn't going to suffice. So I'm going to turn to HR.com and other online sources for suggestions and reviews, then make a pick from there. Worse case I'll possibly have to return something as I plow through a short list of contenders. But hoping my due diligence can help me avoid that.

Today being the start of the process I have a blank slate of contenders. I'd prefer closed back, there's times later at night I like to jam out a bit and play things loud, and open back might allow for too much bleed. I'm not opposed to in ear solutions (IEM, earbuds). I have a mid tier pair of BT earbuds that are fairly good, impressive really for what they pack into such a small design, and that's certainly a possibility. But I don't find earbuds as comfortable and certainly not over an hour or two straight wearing them. I'm not opposed to a wired set of earbuds, and they might be the better long term solution because they don't have batteries that will eventually die (planned obsolescence anyone?).

My primary requirements "put into words"...

• Under $500, preferably $300-ish but willing to splurge for something I may use for the rest of my days
  • Good bass response is a must, improved mid-upper end response over the ATH-M50s is where I'm focusing the most
  • Closed back (for when I like to crank 'em), and these usually provide tighter bass response
  • Comfort - some smaller ear cup designs are not comfortable. I'm also not a fan of leather/plether for long listening sessions. Earbuds tend to fatigue after an hour.
I have a headphone amp, so just about anything on the market I could sufficiently power.

Last edited:
I hear you (no pun intended). My gear collects dust but I still listen to some. (seems like youtube more and more and more)
Somehwere I went from live-barband to recording obsessed to comparing gear and not recording anything but TEST 1,2,3 SSSSHHH TEST...
that was about the end of it. Not complaining, its just what it is and where the road lead to.

The importance or GAS for a nice Headphone amp and headphone setup was the new buzz years ago. Open Backs! for listening only! right?

The BeyerD 250ohm vs <enter others>.....the comfort preference etc... sounds like you been there and compared. Nothings changed much in 8yrs other than MkII or 650 vs 600.... to be honest of my headphones the Takstar $65 have a huge open beautiful soundstage, especially symphonys, classic, good stuff...
The BeyerD are built so much better and due to forums my mind believes these are more true and flat, Semi Open.
I had the Grace Design headphone amp, it was also a taste of high end but I found my interface headphone amp on Line6 UX8 was 90% as good so I sold the other for a lot.
I miss the grace to be honest but its more about build quality, heavy metal knobs vs cheap plastic knobs.

At times I think of trying some Senn 800 series or whatever the next level up is. ..but never got round to it.
but for classical ear candy-treats or YES or something with audio recording quality Ill grab the Takstar Open Back for the largest soundscape...and they were $65 or something silly. Beautiful sound. They just sound better imo...yes they are supposedly cheap chineese junk but the best "listening phones" Ive had.

but for classical ear candy-treats or YES or something with audio recording quality Ill grab the Takstar Open Back for the largest soundscape...and they were $65 or something silly. Beautiful sound. They just sound better imo...yes they are supposedly cheap chineese junk but the best "listening phones" Ive had.
Thanks for the reply. This topic saw traction on a couple other forums I frequent, and based on suggestions there I was able to narrow things down to the LCD-2 closed backs, and when looking for a used set I ended up stumbling on the Monoprice Monolith M1070C that are exceptional. They're big/bulky, otherwise exactly what I was looking for and for $227 shipped on eBay [New, direct from Monoprice's eBay store] they're a steal similar to what you described with the Takstars [which I've also never heard of]. Was hoping entering this hunt that I'd stumble on something, and finding clones was certainly a possibility and inevitability.

Thanks for the reply. This topic saw traction on a couple other forums I frequent, and based on suggestions there I was able to narrow things down to the LCD-2 closed backs, and when looking for a used set I ended up stumbling on the Monoprice Monolith M1070C that are exceptional. They're big/bulky, otherwise exactly what I was looking for and for $227 shipped on eBay [New, direct from Monoprice's eBay store] they're a steal similar to what you described with the Takstars [which I've also never heard of]. Was hoping entering this hunt that I'd stumble on something, and finding clones was certainly a possibility and inevitability.
Hi purpledreamsstudio, per my reply December 31 2023 I found my solution.

Fwiw it's my understanding that all the ATH-M50 variants sound the same/similar. What I was looking for was more 'premium'/up-market and I found it.

You want to do mixing, but you don't want 'flat' headphones, one with upper mids, or whatever. That alters things, but I had a recommendation from someone and I'll do the same, beyond the typical recommendations I see (same brands always recommended, since they are standard in many instances). I use 99 Classics (with walnut wood) by Meze Audio. Now, they have a set of in-ear buds, which I also have, that are exceptional, if you're looking for light.

Back