My biggest issues with mixing is EQing and levels

I no longer try to rap over pre-mixed beats (PARTICULARLY when they're limited to the point of being a solid brick. If my vox are going to be heard, most of the beat isn't. Or the other way around). Those professional tracks you hear are tracked out, sent to an engineer, and sculpted to fit the vox WITHIN the session (not sure about my terminology there). The beat may sound DOPE on its own, but it NEEDS to have its individual elements adjusted to create the "pocket" for the vocals you're referencing. Trying to do that to the whole beat with and EQ is like Michaelangelo trying to sculpt with a bazooka.
LOL, I love the Michaelangelo/bazooka reference. I guess that explains what happened to Venus' arms :D.

That was a very good post OneWerd, and it reminds me of another point that I probably didn't address well enough, but you illustrate well. "Pockets" have to exist not just in frequency, but also in amplitude and dynamics.

A slicked out and pre-mastered beat track is probably fine as-is for live rapping to a beat, but when wanting to *mix* your vocals into a recording, just like you said, you can't just lay vocals on such a beat and expect the two to mix; one will tend to lay on top of the other, like I tried explaining with the concrete example a while back. This is where what I (kind of glibly, I admit) referred to as "un-mastering" comes in. Sometimes you just gotta grab those faders and, much like with the differential EQ, except with gain instead of EQ, pull one down just a little while pushing the other up just a little, and vice versa, as called for by the part of the song's arrangement that you're working at the time, so that the two stems actually *MIX* together instead of just laying on top of each other.

And there are other tricks such as the use of multi-band or keyed multi-level compression and/or expansion (or other advanced dynamics processing) to help "lift and separate" the beat mix a bit to make it a bit more porous to vocal inclusion.

But unfortunately for most newb expectations, it's not a matter of saying, "do exactly this to the EQ and then exactly that to the expander" in a simple post, because exactly what needs to be done specifically in that regard changes from beat to beat and vocal to vocal.

G.

ears ears ears ears what else could it be. Oh and don't eq so much less is more. Those two lines seem contradictory but they aren't exactly.

ears ears ears ears what else could it be. Oh and don't eq so much less is more. Those two lines seem contradictory but they aren't exactly. And this is the way it is whether you like it or not.

Turn the beats down. If they have already been "mastered" by some fool who thinks you need to master beats, that is probably your entire problem.

The easiest way to tell if the beat has been limited to death is if it is always sitting at 0dbfs. If that is the case, you need to turn it down enough to get your vocals above it. Or get the beat before the goofball made it too loud and compressed.

Man I hate when people want me to mix them on some track that someone didn't mix properly. It takes all of the creative mixing fun out it, but it seems that's what people (who are obviously not serious), want these days.

Ahh ignorance rears its ugly head once again. The advice given in this thread is the best your going to get. You definitley came to the wrong place if you thought you would be spoon fed an answer.

I personally have had to deal with the premixed crap that sounds great by itself but is hell to try and mix with. Thing about Sincerely, is that you seem to know all about the "pocket" yet dont know how to find it. What your going to have to realize is that when this guys (or gals) make these beats, they have no idea who is going to download them or buy them. Most well known beat makers will give you a tracked out version of the beat. Obviously if you want it done right then your going to have to actually pay for those things.

Listen AND, don't start shoveling that "you don't know me" line; it only makes you sound like a guest on Jerry Springer. The fact is, if you had the ears, you'd know the problem and you wouldn't have to ask the question. That's how we know where you're coming from. And if you knew the answer, you wouldn't be asking the question, so don't be assuming you already know more than we do about what the right and wrong answers are.

No. That makes no sense whatsoever. At the end of the day, someone can recognize a problem but not know how to fix it. It's like somebody who knows little about repairing a car but knows there's something obviously wrong with the engine. It's pretty obvious but that doesn't mean they'll automatically know how to repair it, would it?

Do yourself a favor, dial back the attitude for a minute and read this and think about it before you respond:

If there is going to be such a thing as a "pocket" (really a misnomer, but we'll run with it for a minute anyway, just for sake of explanation) in a commercial beat, it's either going to be pre-engineered into the beat, or you gotta chisel one out for yourself. In real life it's usually going to be some combination of both of those possibilities.

I already explained that you have to "chisel one out yourself". That's why people actually EQ the beat and drop levels inside the mixed down beat to create space for the vocals to fit.

Now, for the first part, the only way to find a pocket that exists is with your ears. There's no technical visual way using frequency analysis or spectral analysis or by looking at waveforms or any other such way to find it. It takes what is typically called "critical listening" or "analytical listening" skills. This requires having the ear to recognize the parts of the beat, their purpose in the overall arrangement, and which parts of the spectrum they are meant to dominate, and designing your vocal(s) - sound profile and arrangement - around them.

Thank you. That's the type of advice I was looking for.

Nobody can tell you in a forum post how to do that; it's a skill that has to be tapped (if you're a natural) or learned and developed (if you're not a natural).

As far as the second part, usually any "pocket" has to be stretched and massaged, because there is no way that the creator of the original beat can predict just what your voice and intentions actually are like. One common way to attack that is via the use of differential EQ to emphasize the strengths and weaknesses that are already there. This means taking the frequencies where the pocket(s) seem to want to be (based upon part 1), slightly de-emphasizing them in the beat (gentle slopes of just a couple of dB) and slightly emphasizing them in your main vocal track 9again, just gentle slopes of just a couple of dB).

That's what I was explaining. I've been in pro studios with pro engineers who've done it for over a decade doing this. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it and make it work.

Note that it's not necessarily one big pocket that you're working with, it may be a couple or more mini-pockets spread across the spectrum. And it's not the same for every beat, meaning you gotta go back to part 1 and *use your ears* to figure out just where such "pockets" should be. There's no way around that, and no way we or anyone else can answer that for you.

Yeah... I've tried to sweep across the spectrum and find where frequencies needed to be dropped but I still have a hard time fitting my vocals in there.

Now, it's also important to remember that those "commecrial beats", if they are pre-mastered, are not something that you just lay vocals on and you're done and on the radio, like you think. If you want it one right and want it to sound good, some level of de-mastering of the original beat is usually in order so you can properly re-mix with the vocals and then have the mix re-masterd. The differential EQ only scratches the surface of that process.

I've heard underground artists who don't know these big name artist get on major label/commercial beats and sound damn clean on them. AGAIN, not the same as a track that the beat was tracked out and they fit the vocal in but it still sounded damn clean. That's what I'm looking for. It's honestly pretty easy to find a pocket if you have every sound tracked out.

Getting vocals to fit on a premastered beat is a pain in the fuckin' ass. And I know it can be done. That's the entire point of this thread, for me.

And finally, no matter how good your ears may be, they are only as good as your room and your monitors, and even then your mix will only be as good as your ears' ability to "translate" - i.e. to know that if it sounds like "A" in your studio, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will sound like "A" out in the real world. The trick is learning whether it really will sound like "B", "C" or "D". The better your monitoring situation and room, the easier that translation will be.

Thank you. I pretty much knew this but it still is good advice. It's the same thing as when you mix a track down in the studio and it sounds good in the studio but sounds bad in the car.

In short, by deciding to make your own music instead of actually taking on an engineer and (real) producer to assist you, you have taken on a task that has much more to it than just ripping a beat and rapping over it and being done with it. You got some work, some learning and some practice ahead of you. Any attitude otherwise is just going to hold you back and not get you ahead.

I understand that. That's why I'm trying to learn this. And don't take it the wrong way... I DO appreciate you taking your time to inform me. I just didn't agree with some of the things said because I've seen what you said couldn't be done, done before. But this was a much more informative post so THANK YOU (no sarcasm).

+1 to Glen and Rami. I can relate to your frustrations, though. Hip Hop often seems like it should have a simple approach, but my experience has been quite the contrary....I first started reading posts on this forum looking for quicker answers to the problems I was facing (managing bass and achieving a good balance between vocals and the beat are my BIGGEST problems. I feel your frustration more than I can say). We've all been there, I imagine...the people who are giving you feedback have a lot of experience..I know how frustrating it can be when you think you're THAT close to a professional mix, only to find that you're still miles off...but a quick fix that doesn't do the trick is only going to leave you feeling the same way you are now. I no longer try to rap over pre-mixed beats (PARTICULARLY when they're limited to the point of being a solid brick. If my vox are going to be heard, most of the beat isn't. Or the other way around). Those professional tracks you hear are tracked out, sent to an engineer, and sculpted to fit the vox WITHIN the session (not sure about my terminology there). The beat may sound DOPE on its own, but it NEEDS to have its individual elements adjusted to create the "pocket" for the vocals you're referencing. Trying to do that to the whole beat with and EQ is like Michaelangelo trying to sculpt with a bazooka. I'll shut up now.:D

That's not always true... Underground rappers that wouldn't have access to the producer who created these industry beats would not be able to get the instrumental/beat "tracked out". I've heard plenty get on those type of beats and still sound right. You have to create that "pocket" and that's by dropping frequencies inside the beat. It's not going to sound as full, YES. But it will sound a million times better than trying to record over the beat. You have to drop lows and mids (rarely the highs, if ever).

Man I hate when people want me to mix them on some track that someone didn't mix properly. It takes all of the creative mixing fun out it, but it seems that's what people (who are obviously not serious), want these days.

That's funny you say that because a lot of the biggest rap artists came up rapping over other peoples' beats. Didn't know they weren't serious.

Ahh ignorance rears its ugly head once again. The advice given in this thread is the best your going to get. You definitley came to the wrong place if you thought you would be spoon fed an answer.

I personally have had to deal with the premixed crap that sounds great by itself but is hell to try and mix with. Thing about Sincerely, is that you seem to know all about the "pocket" yet dont know how to find it. What your going to have to realize is that when this guys (or gals) make these beats, they have no idea who is going to download them or buy them. Most well known beat makers will give you a tracked out version of the beat. Obviously if you want it done right then your going to have to actually pay for those things.

WRONG. Like I said earlier... rappers have gotten on other artists beats that they have no relation to or means of being in association with and recorded songs that sounded damn good. AGAIN: it's not the quality of a mix on a tracked out beat but I've already stated this.

As much as ya'll are telling me to read what the other guy wrote; it is pretty apparent ya'll haven't read what I wrote. And a pocket does exist. It's just that you often have to create it within a premixed beat.

I've been around engineers who've worked in pro studios for over 10 years. I've WATCHED THEM DO IT. I just can't figure it out for myself. That's my major issue.

I've been around engineers who've worked in pro studios for over 10 years. I've WATCHED THEM DO IT. I just can't figure it out for myself. That's my major issue.

You know what my kid would ask at this point ? He'd ask "Why don't you ask those engineers to give you some tips and advice ?". And I'd want to poke his head !:D

No. That makes no sense whatsoever. At the end of the day, someone can recognize a problem but not know how to fix it. It's like somebody who knows little about repairing a car but knows there's something obviously wrong with the engine. It's pretty obvious but that doesn't mean they'll automatically know how to repair it, would it?

That's true, but with one vital difference - if they knew there was a problem but didn't know how to fix it, would they throw out any suggestions put forward to fix it ? There's a difference between knowing there is a problem and knowing exactly what that problem is.

There's a difference between knowing there is a problem and knowing exactly what that problem is.
Exactly right.

SincerelyAND, you just refuse to drop the attitude, and that's the biggest problem you face.

There's no use in trying to provide you answers that you feel you already know.

G.

Ignorance + arrogance.

I don't even know why anyone's even trying to help this dude. He already knows what all the answers AREN'T. :rolleyes:

I've been in pro studios with pro engineers who've done it for over a decade doing this. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it and make it work.

Yeah... I've tried to sweep across the spectrum and find where frequencies needed to be dropped but I still have a hard time fitting my vocals in there.

See....you keep identifying your problem, but ignoring what is possibly the primary cause! :)

All the follow up discussion about beats and grooves and how the pros do it is irrelevant, because as was pointed out to you early in the thread, you are making YOUR decisions via computer speakers and headphones.

BAD...BAD...BAD! :D

So...you can ponder your problem and debate it for as long as you like...but you gotta start with the right monitoring environment before you can talk about "sweeping the spectrum" and "carving out pockets"...etc....etc.

You know what my kid would ask at this point ? He'd ask "Why don't you ask those engineers to give you some tips and advice ?". And I'd want to poke his head !:D

haha... I have. They're the one that taught me to sweep the frequencies. I do it. Still doesn't come out right. I'm tryna figure out what I"m doin' wrong.

See....you keep identifying your problem, but ignoring what is possibly the primary cause! :)

All the follow up discussion about beats and grooves and how the pros do it is irrelevant, because as was pointed out to you early in the thread, you are making YOUR decisions via computer speakers and headphones.

BAD...BAD...BAD! :D

So...you can ponder your problem and debate it for as long as you like...but you gotta start with the right monitoring environment before you can talk about "sweeping the spectrum" and "carving out pockets"...etc....etc.

Thank you. I guess that's gotta be my next move... Better monitors. I work with a pair of Samson's at this point. Any suggestions?

That's true, but with one vital difference - if they knew there was a problem but didn't know how to fix it, would they throw out any suggestions put forward to fix it ? There's a difference between knowing there is a problem and knowing exactly what that problem is.

That's true. I have a general idea but I can't put my finger exactly on how to work this situation. Guess I'm gonna have to try to figure it out on my own. It just doesn't work so easily.

It could be that the sound of your vocal is not a good match for the sound of the beat you are trying to mix it with. Not everything can be made to fit together.

If you are working with Samson monitors, just about anything would be a step up.

Back