Midi Sync

tedluk

I posted a thread about this in the MIDI forum, but didn't get much reaction. Maybe I'll do better here.

I've got a pretty extensive rig now with both hardware synths and plugs. I have SONAR 3PE and also a Yamaha AW2816 (soon to be replaced with an Akai DPS24!). I have an Edirol UM550 and a Midisport 2X2 for MIDI interfaces. What I want to know is how you guys go about syncing all your various gear together? For instance, my AW2816 isn't happy unless it's the wordclock master. My Mixtreme cards are ok with this.

I want a way to generate MIDI clock that I can sync everything to without having to have SONAR or the AW2816 running. Sometimes, I just want to jam and I would love to be able to sync all the different boxes with each other and have some big fun with all the arpeggiators and drum beats. Is there something out there that can do this without having to get a wordclock generator? Is there some simple way to route my MIDI that will accomplish this?

TIA

Ted

For a global midi clock generator - any old drum machine that can transmit it.
For routing - is the UM550 a programable midi interface router? Failing that, a midi patchbay. Maybe a midi thru box too (1 in to many outs) to send the midi clock to all your gear without complex thru cabling.

Jim,

The drum machine idea could work I suppose if I used a MIDI router with it. I could connect it after the UM550. I don't know if that will work or not.

Let's ask the question another way- Does anyone know of a program that can generate MTC continuously and output it? Seems like this should be simple. I know that I could simply run SONAR and create a blank template with a loop and do it that way, but I'd like to not have to fire up the computer every time.

Isn't there a simple box that generates MTC and allows it to go out multiple ports?

How does everyone else do this? Surely, I'm not the only one who has multiple arpeggiators and wants to sync them.

Ted

Back