Using Roland SBX-80 Sync Box/SMPTE with MIDI sequencers and my MS-16 Recorder

flyingace

I have found a Roland SBX-80 that appears to be able to do the SMPTE striping on my tape machine, and uses MIDI for synchro. I guess the question is: should I be doing this or just lay down drums via sequencer and then layer each part manually on to the tape the old school way? I guess it’s all “old school” at this point.
It’s not a lot of money to spend to experiment with, but I was wondering if anyone has some experience with using a Sync Box.
Thanks!

Forgive me if I’m not understanding your question completely, but if you’re going to record sequencer tracks on the tape machine you don’t need the sync capability. Something like the Roland box, which looks like a quality device by the way for its era, you’d use if you want to sync the tape machine with the sequencer, where the tape machine is the master…record SMPTE timecode on track 16, then connect the output of track 16 to the SMPTE input on the SBX-80, setup the SBX-80 to slave to incoming SMPTE, setup sequences on the SBX-80 and record other tracks from mics or instruments on the MS16. The whole point of this kind of setup was to be able to NOT have to use your tape tracks for digital sequenced tracks…keep those in the sequencer and spare your valuable tape real estate for other non-MIDI sequenced sources. I know sometimes people like to warm up their sequenced tracks or whatever and print them to tape so there’s that, but I can’t really comment on that because that’s not nor has it ever been part of my work flow.

I think the SBX-80 can slave both its internal sequencer as well as another external sequencer or MIDI device (such as your DAW through a MIDI interface) with the tape machine.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks Corey! That clarifies so much!!! I may still get the sync box but I now see how this normally would be used.
I think what I was wondering about is if my machine has a little speed lag that if I try to record a drum machine sequence, then want to come back and place another sequence (that needs to be in time) on another track if they will match up.

Yes, thanks Corey! That clarifies so much!!! I may still get the sync box but I now see how this normally would be used.
I think what I was wondering about is if my machine has a little speed lag that if I try to record a drum machine sequence, then want to come back and place another sequence (that needs to be in time) on another track if they will match up.
That’s exactly why you get a synchronizer…to ensure that, over time, as you build your project, material captured on or generated by multiple devices can be and are repeatably able to be recorded and reproduced in relative synchronization. Digital stuff is generally going to be more stable in terms of accurate and repeatable reproduction, chronologically speaking, than an analog mechanical transport, because…mechanical. Your MS16 has a good direct-drive quartz-locked servo capstan so it’s good…but there are many more physical variables at play compared to something purely electronic and digital. My experience, with a servo system like the MS16 in a sync setup, is you can see the variation in speed but we are talking literally about +/-1 *subframe*…minuscule. But it is a bonafide fluctuation. But the Roland box does not have machine control capability, so the MS16 must be master. There are, as far as synchronization goes, two types of tape transports: ones that can be controlled and act as a slave in a sync relationship, and ones that cannot. Then there are also two broad categories of synchronizers: ones that can control tape transports, and ones that cannot…they just deal with MIDI sync. The MS16 is of the former type, and the SBX-80 is of the latter type, though it looks to be a pretty well-featured unit for being the latter type. This is okay for you…for most…it is WAY more complicated to slave a tape transport to anything. You have to have a more specialized/rare/expensive synchronizer, you have to have a slave-capable tape machine, and almost always you are faced with having to custom build very specialized cables, often with hard to find parts, to interface the tape machine or machines with the synchronizer. I still and will always maintain that slaving the tape machine to a sequencer or DAW is the better way to go from an audio standpoint, because when the tape machine is the master and the DAW (for instance) is slave, you have to ask yourself “how does the digital system deal with the fluctuations of the mechanical master transport?” And the answer is it varies…but it can’t or doesn’t varispeed to match the tape transport…the tape transport has infinite capacity for resolution when speeding up and slowing down. The digital system does not. There is a sampling frequency. Or some level of quantization. Most digital systems will add or drop samples to stay in sync. That means if you have real-world sources (mics, instruments) that were tracked to the DAW (for instance), they are converted to digital samples at a bit-depth and sampling frequency, and the DAW will just add or dip samples to stay synchronized. Your DAW tracks, which are already a digital facsimile of the real world sources from which they originated, are now being messed with…adding mystery samples or taking away essentially at random, to stay synchronized. How much of this goes on depends on the quality, capability and condition of your analog tape machine and tape. But regardless of that, for me, my personal threshold of tolerance for this concept is zero. Most other people disagree with me and I think for them and their circumstances the MUCH less complicated and simple path of setting the tape machine up as master does make way more sense. But I’m interested in making informed decisions about things, and so I compulsively tend to share this information when the subject comes up in front of me in order that others can also make educated decisions about what’s right for them. In your case, because you are talking about sequenced tracks and not real-world source material in a DAW, I would go the simple route, let the MS16 be master, and not think twice. The reality is, unless the tape machine is garbage or in garbage condition, the fluctuations I talk about above are so small it is HIGHLY unlikely anybody would ever possibly be able to hear them…I just can’t stand the IDEA of samples being added or removed.

Hopefully I’ve not confused things with TMI. How much does the seller want for the SBX-80? It looks neat. I recently re-discovered a multitrack HDD recorder I used about 20 years ago…I always thought it sounded really good and I used it enough to be good at navigating the pages and menus on it…it’s a Roland VSR-880. I bought one for really cheap WITH the desirable VS8F-2 add-on effects board…the LCD needed some repair, which I fixed…back in the day when I had one I didn’t really know much at all about electronics, I just knew it sounded good. First thing I did when I got this one is pulled the cover off and studied the guts. And I was also able to track down a service manual which is really hard to find for this model. Anyway, they didn’t really cut a lot of corners at all…some pleasant surprises too as far as the components choices and values and such, and the chassis design is great for servicing. I’m impressed with it. My point is I suspect the SBX-80 is built with the same level of attention to these things.

Last edited:
Again, thanks, that expanded my understanding EVEN further and I think for my needs and the fact that I’m not interested in using DAW, I‘m actually using hardware sequencers like Roland MC-500 and Akai MPC One and my Kronos 2.
The first SBX-80 I found is only $185 shipped, so I will likely go for it but it’s got some battle wear. The 2nd that I have an offer on is NOS in original box and is minty fresh for $400… I made an offer of $300, but no response… not sure the extra cost is worth it if the first one works and it’s just some cosmetic scratches. Yes, it looks like it’s built like a tank!

I still and will always maintain that slaving the tape machine to a sequencer or DAW is the better way to go from an audio standpoint, because when the tape machine is the master and the DAW (for instance) is slave, you have to ask yourself “how does the digital system deal with the fluctuations of the mechanical master transport?” And the answer is it varies…but it can’t or doesn’t varispeed to match the tape transport…the tape transport has infinite capacity for resolution when speeding up and slowing down. The digital system does not. There is a sampling frequency. Or some level of quantization. Most digital systems will add or drop samples to stay in sync. That means if you have real-world sources (mics, instruments) that were tracked to the DAW (for instance), they are converted to digital samples at a bit-depth and sampling frequency, and the DAW will just add or dip samples to stay synchronized. Your DAW tracks, which are already a digital facsimile of the real world sources from which they originated, are now being messed with…adding mystery samples or taking away essentially at random, to stay synchronized.

The trick when using a synchroniser with the DAW as a slave is to split the DAW audio up into short segments so that each segment isn't really long enough to get noticeably out of sync.

Alternatively, you use a synchroniser that can output word clock as well as position. There aren't many of those but the MOTU Digital Timepiece is one.

It is also worth checking whether the synchroniser outputs Song Position Pointer and Midi Clock or Midi Timecode. You also need to check which of these your sequencer accepts. Midi Timecode is much more convenient in my experience but it was a later addition to the Midi spec so not all synchronisers or sequencers support it.

Edit: I've just checked at

and the SBX80 uses song position pointer and clock so you have to set the tempo and any tempo changes on the SBX80.

Last edited:
Interesting you mention that, my MOTU 16A has Word Clock abilities. I’ve never used it before.

So the guy accepted my “reasonable” offer for the NOS SBX-80. I guess time to download the manual (although I think he said it came with the original in the box) and figure out yet another bit of kit!

Thanks for all the advice and information that helped me better understand this type of gear and what I can expect to get out of it.
Ever since going down this vintage gear analog path, that kinda happened by luck and accident that I got my hands on such great old gear, its been a slower road but one that I think is more fulfilling, at this time, for me as I reacquaint myself with analog tape recording and all the gear it takes… I’m fortunate, too, that we have a fantastic place called The Writer’s Colony here in our town that is starting to host more music/musician oriented programs. I’m getting to attend a workshop this sunday with a pro Music Producer and he’s going to talk about songwriting and arrangments for recording. Then in August I get to attend a 3 day one all about songwriting that culminates with a performance on the last day.

Interesting you mention that, my MOTU 16A has Word Clock abilities. I’ve never used it before.

As Sweetbeats says, that's going to be irrelevant if you are hooking the SBX80 up to up old Midi sequencers but it could be relevant if you ever get the gear to use your DAW as a sync slave to tape. You'll need a synchroniser with word clock output though and they are fairly rare. If you use the SBX80 with your DAW then just ignore word clock.

If it helps, I have been using a similar workflow to this since 2004. Sequence most of the song on computer first, and then lay it down to tape track by track, using the synchronizer (a Phil Rees TS-1) to tell the sequencer whereabouts in the song the tape is. This works very well and was the way to go for a long time if you worked with sequenced material rather than recording everything played live.
The way I see it, even if there's a little slop in the timing here and there it'll helps things sound a bit more organic and less regimented anyway.

I have found a Roland SBX-80 that appears to be able to do the SMPTE striping on my tape machine, and uses MIDI for synchro. I guess the question is: should I be doing this or just lay down drums via sequencer and then layer each part manually on to the tape the old school way? I guess it’s all “old school” at this point.
It’s not a lot of money to spend to experiment with, but I was wondering if anyone has some experience with using a Sync Box.
Thanks!
De ser posible, se podría usar Pro Tools y SYNC Digidesign y caso resuelto.

Next question I can’t seem to find in the manual for the SBX-80:
If you stripe a tape with SMPTE, does it have to be at a particular BPM? or do you set the BPM after you stripe a tape and everything sync’d to the machine follows it?
Half the hurdle with tech or anything for that matter, IMHO, is simply trying to figure out what questions to ask and how to ask them intelligibly! ugh.

SMPTE isn’t a measure of BPM, but rather frames per second…FPS. It was born from the film industry. There are FPS standards…30 and 29.97 are two common ones. You want to set your frame rate, stripe the track with timecode in that frame rate, and then maintain that setting or it won’t sync. What frame you choose is arbitrary because, unless I’m mistaken, you’re not sending your tapes out to another production house for additional work. If you were working with other facilities and they used a particular FPS, you’d want to stripe tape with that frame rate.

Next question I can’t seem to find in the manual for the SBX-80:
If you stripe a tape with SMPTE, does it have to be at a particular BPM? or do you set the BPM after you stripe a tape and everything sync’d to the machine follows it?
Half the hurdle with tech or anything for that matter, IMHO, is simply trying to figure out what questions to ask and how to ask them intelligibly! ugh.

The SMPTE code is independent of tempo. On the SBX-80 you have to set a start time and tempo for each song and also insert any tempo changes at the appropriate point. If you re-use the tape you can keep the old code and just change the start time and tempo on the SBX-80. One tip - make sure you write down all the times and tempos that you enter into the SBX-80. I find writing these things down is far easier than trying to record the information direct to tape or whatever the SBX-80 uses to back up its internal data.

Thanks!
I'm making a device available that might be worth looking into for you. CLOCKstep:MULTI It can stripe a tape with a clock signal and acts as a hub between MIDI Clock & CV Trigger Sync devices, as well as serves as an audio metronome. Here's the two most relevant videos. The second one dealing specifically with how to stripe and use it with tape.

I'm making a device available that might be worth looking into for you. CLOCKstep:MULTI It can stripe a tape with a clock signal and acts as a hub between MIDI Clock & CV Trigger Sync devices, as well as serves as an audio metronome. Here's the two most relevant videos. The second one dealing specifically with how to stripe and use it with tape.

Does it support MTC or SPP?

Does it support MTC or SPP?

No. It stripes with square wave pulses at 24 PPQN, it doesn't add anything that can be used for location. It'll only receive SPP=0 in order to realign the bar of the metronome with the current time.

Back