Using Roland SBX-80 Sync Box/SMPTE with MIDI sequencers and my MS-16 Recorder

No. It stripes with square wave pulses at 24 PPQN, it doesn't add anything that can be used for location. It'll only receive SPP=0 in order to realign the bar of the metronome with the current time.
Ah, right. I was thinking in terms of SMPTE striping. Fair enough.

I have found a Roland SBX-80 that appears to be able to do the SMPTE striping on my tape machine, and uses MIDI for synchro. I guess the question is: should I be doing this or just lay down drums via sequencer and then layer each part manually on to the tape the old school way? I guess it’s all “old school” at this point.
It’s not a lot of money to spend to experiment with, but I was wondering if anyone has some experience with using a Sync Box.
Thanks!

Edited

How is this better than just dumping in your tracks from TAPE to the DAW with no lock at all....or just using SMPTE only (positional reference but not Word Clock)?

Well the key is that the TimeSync will adjust for the tape machine transport drift. You find that there will be no drift, once you nudge the tracks together inside the DAW if you do it this way.

If used this method for years using an MCI JH24 and what I use now, which is an MTR-12 and its rock solid.

Last edited:
Here is the best way to sync the DAW to tape in 2023: Get one of these 3 boxes (they are all the same just under different labels): Aardvark TimeSync II, Rosendahl WIF or Steinberg Timelock Pro. There are some on ebay now and probably Reverb too.

Well the key is that the TimeSync will adjust for the tape machine transport drift. You find that there will be no drift, once you nudge the tracks together inside the DAW if you do it this way.

If used this method for years using an MCI JH24 and what I use now, which is an MTR-12 and its rock solid.

As I've probably mentioned before, the MOTU Digital Timepiece can also work in the same way though I don't get many tapes with timecode here.

Back