let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
ericlingus said:
why does every studio I see here have an external mixer? Anyone here just use the mixer in the recording program? What are the advantages of spending a lot of money on an external mixer? I have the same question about the racks...why not just use plug ins instead?....yes I am very new at all of this.
Good question. I think the same way. I don't use a mixer, and my rack only has pre-amps. The rest is VST.

Well...Lots of reasons..Some like to be able to route things through mixers..
We started out years ago all analog..Then went to Yamaha Digital boards and DA38's to Pro Tools..

It took me awhile to build up the power in DSP cards to mix with out a mixer.
Now I track in Pro Tools still..But I mix in Cubase SX3.

I use a Folcrom passive summing box as a mixer...With Chandler TG2 or Great River MP2 as the make up gain..It gives me more of a console sound. But I use outboard because it does things that plugins can't do...Plugs have been getting better...But there are things like Transformers humming a certain way that you get from outboard...Those little things build up...and at least to my ears from growing up listening to music cut with analog gear...It gets me closer to those sounds I enjoy more then plugs..

Now with that said...I find myself using less plugins in SX3 then Pro Tools.. I can run my stems out to the Folcrom and use all plugins (if it's something I tracked) with Cubase and be happy most of the time..When I was mixing in Pro Tools I had to use more outboard and plugs to get to where I wanted to..
The SX3 mixer engine just sounds more open...and with URS EQ's and UAD comps I can get the hair I'm looking for when I'm mixing rock.

When guys bring in tracks that they recorded...I tend to use some outboard to help color if the tracks are dull or boring...

But there are plenty of guys mixing itb and only have racks for preamps for tracking...

what about effects like compression? Think it woulod be better to get a rackmountable one so I can track with it? If it's better to add that when mixing wouldn't it just be better to use a plug in?

yes and no...I track with comps and mix with comps...
The UAD sounds great...But does it sound like a real LA2A or 1176 NO!

But I use them and get great results...But there are plenty of times when I'm mixing stuff I haven't tracked and the color the person got isn't so good.

So there are tools that do things outboard that plugs can't...If you try a Chandler LTD2 comp (which is sort of like a Neve 2254e)..It's thick..It can take a bad vocal recording and add weight...Works great on bass as well. Then you can follow that with a compressor plugin for more dynamic control..So the neve comp is more for color..

like I said in my other post..If I track I'm getting the color I want and tone during that stage. So I'm finding myself using less outboard since the switch to SX3..But I tend to use more outboard when It's tracked some where else..Like some ones house with lesser gear tone.

yeah I think for now i'll stick to using plug ins and mixing in the box. I just started out. Actually I havent even started yet...still waiting for my computer and everything else to arrive.

Sounds like a plan...

But if you do get a comp...Which I think is important when recording vocals..
You can do it with out...But I like the control of hitting my converters with a compressor. When I track with out I feel I'm asking to much of my plugins to do that job. When I track anything...I'm looking for the tone to be done...It's not always. but working that way helps. Because I can balance my faders and bounce a rough mix for some one and it sounds almost done...Because I'm thing ahead as I'm tracking.

Now! If you do get comp...Cheap comps sound cheap and plugs like the UAD are better...But when you need to track with an outboard comp you really can't beat the RNC or RNLA...They are cheap and sound good. I have 2 RNC's. I've been thinking of selling one of them and putting a RNLA in it's place..So I have one of each. They are cheap but really sound good for the money. The RNC is very clean sounding...The RNLA adds color and is smooth. To me there isn't much better until you get around 1100. to 1200. and up. Those FMR comps are under $300. pretty good deal.

As I posted earlier, I was building a 20ru rack enclosure. I've since changed my plans and earlier today I finished construction. Now it is made out of 4/4 mahogany (sp?), still 20ru, but more solid and better looking than my first attampt.

Measurements are 41" H x 21" D x 21.125" W.

Tomorrow, I'll be installing my Echo Layla 3g, both DigiTech DSP128+ units, Patchbays, 4ru computer, rack tuner, MIDI patchbay, power conditioner/power control center, etc.

If there's on piece of advice I could offer to people building something like this, it's L brackets are your friend; especially if you have an inch or two of space under the unit... something like this:

-____________
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
|------------------ |
--------------------
|------------------ |

Pictures will follow once I get my digicam working.

Jason

Thought id give a mini-update as I just plugged in a load of new stuff...

NewDesks.jpg

LavaHead.jpg

technominds said:
Thought id give a mini-update as I just plugged in a load of new stuff...

Hey, looks like you got that Behringer control...how's that working for you...I'm thinking of getting one?

Here is my humble little set up! I played with the photo with some effects! :)
The monitor stands are Stainless Steel pipe, the reflection off the flash makes them look twisted!

The lava lamps will be added shortly! No wonder my mixes are a little off! :eek:

Last edited:
Ok, heres a some pics of my studio, I call the control room the pink room, and yeah I know it's a mess! :eek: :D

Attachments

• studio.JPG
    studio.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 923
  • studio 2.JPG
    studio 2.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 832
Carter said:
Ok, heres a some pics of my studio, I call the control room the pink room, and yeah I know it's a mess! :eek: :D

Very nice gear there Carter!....I hear pink keeps you calm? :D

I dont know why it is not changing, But I have to say there Gorty, You have a very clean set-up yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Back