let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
BeatsBuY said:
Man, nice setups! Professional and organized. And hot gear! Here's my setup.
1.jpg

My space is very small and compact. But, I learned how ta use space management. Use racks to build up. And shelving that folds in and out. People say it looks like the Matrix with all these arms and shelving.
2.jpg

5.jpg

YES! I see a lot of you guys got the Avalon! :eek: Ya, you know what I'm talkin about... :D
3.jpg

Since I have a limited space, I put all the computers, drives, and gear that generates heat in this closet. A vent was added to blow all the hot air to the roof. Also helps to keep the studio cool and have less noise from gear.
4.jpg

I guess you could call this the unseen part of the studio. Cords every where and not as nice looking. But, everyone needs at least one dirty coner. :rolleyes:

I am so jealous, nice set up! :)

xfinsterx said:
I made a thread for this , but i suppose i shoulda just put it here.

GEOOFFICE.jpg

gEOrACK.jpg

gEORACKCLOSE.jpg

RACKCLOSE2.jpg

gEODRUMROOM.jpg

gEOKIT.jpg

gEOAMPS.jpg

gEOgUITARS.jpg

gEOkEYS.jpg

VERY NICE! Like the gear and instruments. Wish I had drums too... :D Is that an HD screen in the middle? Do you do video or is that to monitor another room. I was thinking of using a monitor screen to monitor another room and not cut a hole in the wall... :eek: Any tips?

timbo101 said:
then for as you say it is a lot of fun but also full of headaches too.The most frustrating thing is being a bit clueless but I guess that only gets better over time and through experience.If I did have an

Having done the "pro studio" thing several times with mixed success, I have to say that most of my frustrations were due to people, and issues that people brought to the table.

If a compressor acts up, I can fix it, replace it, or not use it. If a guitar player, as an individual paying customer or as a band member I'm recording, I couldn't do much about it. I could make suggestions, give advice, but the temptation to smack said guitarist in the head with his guitar and wrap his guitar strap around his neck and testicles, would not be a good way to enjoy repeat business.

You'll find that's not an isolated story... most people who own, or have owned, or worked in pro recording environments will probably say that most of the frustration are people related, whether employees, relatives, customers, vendors, and fire inspectors :D

The most difficult thing for most in running a for-pay recording studio is to remember that it's a business first, a play environment second. There are no favors. Only services, and money billed for said services. You might give a forgetful guitar player a pick or a strap, but other than a few rinky dinky things remember that your goal is to make money while providing the best service that you can.

I've watched two friends run from the pro studio environment back to the home studio environment in a dirt-poor fashion because they forgot this very basic concept - and it's very easy to do.

timbo101 said:
expensive studio I would not have a clue what to do with it any way so its better that I start off small.At the end of the day I only

I've done mentoring before and to all the "kids" who came through my pro studio(s) thinking they needed to buy an SSL or Neve I've said the same thing over and over (and I say it here a lot too, trying to drive the point home) - the gear is only part of the equasion. Personally, I think learning on dysfunctional, poorly designed equipment is the way to go - it forces you to think "out of the box" more often than not, and solve problems that the top end consoles have a wizard-like button for.

Say, you want to reverse the polarity of a mic for a specific recording. Some consoles have a button to push, some consoles don't. The ones that don't you quickly solder up a reverse polarity patch cord - one end wired correct, the other end T and R are deliberately reversed.

timbo101 said:
thing I might do due to my lack of experience in mastering the final recordings is take my finished tracks to a studio to be tweaked to the optimum before I get them pressed and printed.Anyway thanks again

Many of us can help you when you get to that point. I believe this BBS has a mastering forum, but last time I checked (last year?) it was buried with a bunch of horribly mixed MP3s to which I lost interest, being an elitist snob with no free time :D

Vocal booth

theater5small.jpg

theater4small.jpg

Rack, for amps and computer

Computercase.jpg

Front speakers and 101inch screen

left.jpg

KlipschFrontWideSmall.jpg

Ok, so my studio doubles as my home theater, what ya gonna do?!?!?!?

would I be able to call myself anything respectable without one? This desk had a perfect compartment for it that was made to hold CD cases. Solid

Guess who has a fully certified studio now! Thats right, i got myself a lava lamp! Might be getting two to make things look nice.... does that mean I have two fully certified studios or just one thats over certified? :D

I am just a newbie to recording but I am pretty sure you are safe with more then one lava lamp per studio, as long as you have tube equipment to go along with them. If you only have solid state, what the heck do you have a lava lamp for?!?!?!?!? See if you have a tube microphone, and you turn its power supply on at the same time you turn your lava lamp on, the time the lava starts to bubble up is the time that the tube microphone is ready to go. Any other uses of a lava lamp in a studio is not needed and you bought it just to be cool, which if that is the case you are a known loser and should hand over the rest of your gear to me so I can put it to good use. Ummm, ya thats how it is......

that lava lamp story.... I don't know about yours but mine takes about 1,5 hours to start bubbling...

Where did you get that story from?

why does every studio I see here have an external mixer? Anyone here just use the mixer in the recording program? What are the advantages of spending a lot of money on an external mixer? I have the same question about the racks...why not just use plug ins instead?....yes I am very new at all of this.

Back