let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Hey, I'm new here and I was just looking for some tips to improve acoustics in the room I'm going to be recording in right now. The room itself is probably not the most apt for a studio, seeing as it has two windows and one full wall is a set of glass/wooden folding doors. Here's what I have set up right now:

2012-08-28_13-56-46_678.jpg
quiltdoors.jpg
2012-08-28_13-56-56_277.jpg

I don't have much in the way of foam, blankets, or anything to absorb sound other than carpeting and that quilt over the doors (the window has pepsi signs in it because it reflects sunlight and keeps the room cooler). I plan to pull the drums out from the wall when I do start recording them.

What are some cost-effective things I could do to improve room acoustics/sound when I start recording? There's a very slim chance I might be able to move the "studio" into a room with only one window, but assuming I stay here, I'm going to try to make it sound as good as I can. Thanks in advance for the input!

(By the way, my apologies if this is in the wrong thread, getting used to a new forum is a little weird)

-G7

Attachments

• 2012-08-28_13-57-31_45.jpg
    2012-08-28_13-57-31_45.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,113
  • 2012-08-28_13-58-44_16.jpg
    2012-08-28_13-58-44_16.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,113
Big walk-in closets are useless!.....so I converted mine into a mini studio! I'm still working on the acoustics of the room, especially the vocal booth. Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_0398.JPGIMG_0397.JPGIMG_0394.JPGIMG_0393.JPGIMG_0392.JPGIMG_0390.JPGIMG_0389.JPGIMG_0388.JPG

Sanctuary Studio

Took a year to complete.It was time consuming as each room was done three times over due to the layers of materials used.Control room is 12ft. x 20ft. with a 7.5ft ceiling.Live room is 12ft. x 28ft. with a ceiling that slopes from 9.5ft. to 7ft..Walls & ceilings are insulated with Roxul 'Safe 'n' Sound' material.Materials on walls & ceilings are hung on resilient channel which allows the material to break away from the studs to create a floating wall which reduces sound transmission throughout the entire structure.You can see the walls move when pushing on them.

Control Room
Walls
Layer one - 1/2" MDF board vertical
Layer two - 5/8" drywall horizontal
Layer three - 1/2" drywall vertical
Layer four - 3/16" oak panelling

Ceiling
Layer one - 1/2" MDF board lengthwise
Layer two - 5/8" drywall widthwise
Layer three - 3/4" industrial acoustic tile

Floor - heavy berber carpet on foam waterproof underlayment.

Live Room
Walls
Layer one - 3'4" MDF board vertical
Layer two - 1/2" drywall horizontal
Layer three - 5/8" drywall vertical
Layer four - 3/16" oak panelling

Ceiling - same as control room

Floor - DRIcore subfloor on concrete slab.Heavy berber carpet on extra-dense underlayment.

Acoustical treament selected and strategically placed after acoustical testing and dtermination of axial,tangential and oblique modes.

cr-right_side_front.jpgcr-right_end_center.jpgcr-rear_left.jpglive_rm_l_to_r_centre_low_light.jpglive_rm_r_to_l_length_2.jpgmicrophones.jpgprocessors_rack_12.jpgdigital_recorders_rack_12.jpgcr-right_side_console_lowprfl1.jpgGuitars 17 Small.JPG

Last edited:
Took a year to complete.It was time consuming as each room was done three times over due to the layers of materials used.Control room is 12ft. x 20ft. with a 7.5ft ceiling.Live room is 12ft. x 28ft. with a ceiling that slopes from 9.5ft. to 7ft..Walls & ceilings are insulated with Roxul 'Sound & Safe' material.Materials on walls and hung on resilient channel.

Very nice rooms. Thanks for listing the building materials used.

This thread is dope, very inspiring and enabling me to come up with ideas on how I want to lay out my own space.

Back