Les Paul

Henri Devill

I've got the jones for a Les Paul Classic "copper finish"..AAHHHHH...I've got it bad !LOL..I don't even gig anymore{ I do record demos ..Im rationalizing} and I already have 6 guits ...but no lester..
Somebody stop me! :confused:

oh man, you need a les paul.

what kind of music do you play? i'm asking, because that classic has a really high output bridge pickup, so you might want to replace it with something else if you buy the guitar. or you might not want to....i dunno

i personally would take the 500t out and put a burst bucker 2 or 3 in it.

I've had my LP Classic for about 4 years now, and I love it more each and every time I play it. I can't stop you from buying one! The slim-taper neck and hot pickups made it stand head and shoulders over the LP standards that I played alongside it. The neck and pickups were the only things that made me not want a LP standard inthe first place. When I played the classic, I thought "oh man they've refined everything that made me not like Les Pauls!".

I love my classic, and NOBODY, not even the most hardened anti-Gibson militants, can convince me otherwise 8)

I also love my LP Classic.

rpe

Attachments

• rpe3send.jpg
    rpe3send.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 223
I play all kinds of stuff,mostly like crap nowa days LOL..High output bridge P/U..Cool!Back {about 1976 or so}when I had some DiMarzios in my LP custom and standard..I miss that Fat piggish tone!Because I'v been playin' primarily Strats since the late 80's..Donkey what do the "Burst Buckers" sound like?I've got a 335 Ibanez that needs new P/U's are the a little mellower..what model are they standard on... so I can try some out?

burstbuckers are in the les paul standards starting in i believe 2003........could have been 02 though.....i'm not sure.........

basically burst buckers are supposed to be the most accurate reproduction of gibsons 50's pickups......there are bb 1's,2's,and 3's......with the ones being lowest output and 3's being highest.

i think the new standards have a 2 in the neck position and a 3 in the bridge. my 57 reissue has a 1 in the neck and 2 in the bridge and i think the rest of the reissues also do.

sounds like you would like the 500t though. it's higher output, has a little more highend......or maybe more crisp highend? i'm really bad at this, i dont really know how to describe it.

and i think the burstbuckers are just kinda.......i dunno.......smoother sounding......yeah, i'm bad at this.

sorry dude.

you shoudl try them out for sure though.

Ben, so am I .LOL..I went to Sam Cash and tried out a couple of the classics..I haven't found one yet that rings my bell..All of them were cool though..just gotta find one that speaks to me :)There was some clown in there who though it was time to play every riff he ever learned on 10.. I did try a Standard and the P/U's were nice,however they didn't have any in stock :mad: Maybe Guitar Cen. will have some in stock..or www.guitarden.com in Orlando...Thanks for your info :)

Henri Devill said:
I've got the jones for a Les Paul Classic "copper finish"..AAHHHHH...I've got it bad !LOL..I don't even gig anymore{ I do record demos ..Im rationalizing} and I already have 6 guits ...but no lester..
Somebody stop me! :confused:

Why not save up and get a real LP standard? They are a much better guitar with real pickups and not the cheesy wood they use in the classic. The Classic is like one step up from an Epiphone Les Paul.

What cheesy wood would that be? Looks like the same maple top/mahogany back that's used throughout the LP line to me.

I don't know what classics you're looking at, or if they've changed since I bought my '98 model, but I think you took your goofy pills today to compare an LP Classic to an Epi LP.

acorec said:
Why not save up and get a real LP standard? They are a much better guitar with real pickups and not the cheesy wood they use in the classic. The Classic is like one step up from an Epiphone Les Paul.

You would be quite wrong about that.

rpe

acorec said:

i disagree.

i'm also wondering if you're referring to a pre '03 standard, or the '03 standard......because if you're talking about a pre '03, they had the same pickups, but the classic has the highest output bridge pickup of that particular pickup series (490,498,and 500). which gives the bridge pickup a little brighter sound.

i'm pretty sure the only difference in the wood would be the quality of the figure on the top, but neither the standard or the classic have quality figured tops, so yeah, i dunno where you were going with that.

Henri Devill said:
Maybe Guitar Cen. will have some in stock..or www.guitarden.com in Orlando...Thanks for your info :)

Holy crap, that place in Orlando looks amazing! I'm just sad I didn't see even one single left-handed guitar in any of those pictures :( Awesome amp selection though!

Ya Tom, Guitarden is a cool place they have a ProSonic thats calling to me..I bought a Marshall JCM800 combo for my studio there..The place reminds me of the stores in Boston when I was a kid! Every town should have a cool store like that in it!

rpe said:
You would be quite wrong about that.

rpe

No, I would not be wrong. I have owned 10-12 Les Pauls (standards) and played at least that number of Classics. The Classics feel much different instantly. They are lighter, have #2 wood, have cheap pickups and wiring, have terrible rosewood (I don't know where they get that stuff). If you owned/played enough Standards, then the Classics are easy to judge.

I am just saying that the Standards are only a little bit more, but the resale over a period of time is definately higher. My shops aroun here have used Classics that are sold for low$$ compared to any Standard.

I'll admit I haven't played enough Standards to judge properly (probably only 5 or 6). My main objection was your statement about "one step up from an Epi LP".

rpe

acorec said:
No, I would not be wrong. I have owned 10-12 Les Pauls (standards) and played at least that number of Classics. The Classics feel much different instantly. They are lighter, have #2 wood, have cheap pickups and wiring, have terrible rosewood (I don't know where they get that stuff). If you owned/played enough Standards, then the Classics are easy to judge.

I am just saying that the Standards are only a little bit more, but the resale over a period of time is definately higher. My shops aroun here have used Classics that are sold for low$$ compared to any Standard.

you're misinformed.

if gibson rated their wood reserves, they would have somewhere between 5 and 10 different ratings.

the best wood is reservered for the r9's, then the r8's then the rest of the reissues are from the same woodpull. then in the american shop they have multiple reserves. at the very best, the standards would use #4 woods, but there are guitars in the american shop that use better wood(top wood) so that puts the standard series down to at least #5 wood. i'm willing to bet that the classics and standards are from the same wood pull. I also bet that the wiring quality is the same. i know for sure that the neck joint is the same, so is the neck(well kind of...you can get a 50's rounded, or 60's neck on the standard now). the difference is in the appointments and now in the pickups/ multiple neck option.

and weight has nothing to do with anything. the r9's have the lightest of all the wood reserved for the les pauls.......does that make them crappier than the standards? if it is true that the classics are generally lighter than the standards, that would just make them more desireable and the price would be higher. i'm willing to bet that if one of those 2 guitars is on the average lighter than the other, it's the standard, but i highly doubt either of them are.

the classics resale value is directly related to their popularity not to them being junk in comparison to a standard, because they're not

oh yeah, i forgot about your rosewood comment.......i've seen some really super nasty, pale rosewood on some standards that looked like the tree was diseased, so i also doubt that they use different rosewood.

Back