Les Paul

I can say this about the quality perceived or real of the Les Pauls {and this goes espeicaly for Fenders}..Classics/Standards/Customs they are inconsistant!They have always been to me anyways..You gotta find one that "speaks" to you..Ya know..With that said I've always been a "Standard" man..My favorite lester was a 74 Standard Tobaccoburst {I've owned about 7 or so L/P's}My least favorite was a 50's with PAF's{real with wooden shims}it sounded great played for sh*t :eek:

donkeystyle said:
oh yeah, i forgot about your rosewood comment.......i've seen some really super nasty, pale rosewood on some standards that looked like the tree was diseased, so i also doubt that they use different rosewood.
Wheres Light? He can tell us about how they "dye" the rosewood..or maybe not.LOL..Ibanez used to do this if my memory serves me on some of their higher ended inst.

Well, here I am, ready to take my beating from the purists. I bought my first Les Paul in 1968, and I've used many solid bodies over the years, and a few semihollowbodies. My favorites are telecasters, SG's and Les Pauls. And my current Les Paul is err, ah, an Epiphone LP Custom. Made by Samick. The pickups have been replaced by a pair of classic 57's. I am strictly a rhythm and fingerstyle guitarist, and I use the Les Paul with 11's with a wound G. I use it for everything from Chuck Berry to The Who. I don't play lead, and I'm much more concerned with clean sound on full chords than sustain. For my purposes, the Epi Deluxe is as good as half of the Gibsons I've owned, and better than several of them. It is not as good as the best LP's I've played, but none of them were made in the last 15 years. Yeah, I know my Samick made LP will never get any respect, but it's just one of the guitars I traded my SG Supreme (which I hated) for. So I guess I'll just keep on playing my no-respect axe. That, and an American Telecaster, gives me every sound I want from a solid body. OK- so hit me.-Richie

I have a freind who has/had a SG Supreme...I thought it was less than..stellar.. come to think of it I think he sold his too LOL.
As for the Epi what ever works for ya!Sh*t wound "G"...Naw nobody needs to hit you...your tortureing yourself :eek: ;) :D

Sorry Henri- a wound G is vastly superior for straight rhythm, which is why most jazz guitarists use them. I used to knock G's out of tune before I got through the first ten minutes of "Tommy". I also play bluegrass fingerstyle on a solid body, which is hopeless with a plain G. Look Ma, no distortion, no gain- solid body impersonating an acoustic. It's also not unusual for me to mic the solid body as well, because I want some pick noise. No kidding.-Richie

I am by no means knocking the Epi's of the last 10-15 years. I own an Epi Sheraton II and I love it. I just didn't like seeing the slam on the LP Classic. If your budget dictates $1500 for a classic versus $2400 for a delux or standard then we do what we must do. I don't regret buying my '98 Classic, it sounds and plays great for me.

rpe

i just realised that i said that the gibson american shop had multiple wood reserves........i dont know that for sure. i believe they do, but like i said......i dont know 100% for sure. so that estimate of somwhere between 5 and 10 ratings could be off also

I'm a wound G man myself. All my electrics are setup for 12's. I'm primarily an acoustic player, and I found myself pushing electrics out of tune with lighter strings. I may even go to 13's on my new (old) toy.

rpe said:
I'll admit I haven't played enough Standards to judge properly (probably only 5 or 6). My main objection was your statement about "one step up from an Epi LP".

rpe

Yeah, sorry about that. I went alittle overboard. The Classic is WAY better in every aspect to the Epis.

Slightly off centre to the topic, but what weights are considered to be light, normal or heavy for a Les Paul....................any ideas?

a super, featherlight les paul would be anywhere in the 7 pound range..you wont see many of those though....and if you do, they will most definitely be chambered.....not that that's a bad thing, just different. my friend has a les paul unbound with a chambered body that is exactly 8 pounds. that's really light.

8 pounds is dang light for a les paul, but i've seen lighter.

i think that 8.6 or 8.7 or so pounds is relatively normal and then 9 to 10 is really normal.

heavy les paul's would be in the 10 and up range

Last edited:
Well I went and did it!Got a used Classic{saved some cash}Tabacco Sunburst..It is in great cond.I tried out a sh*t load of them this was the one that I dug {for the cash}..Ben,You are right about the P/U's ,Im gonna change them out when I get some extra cash..Thanks for all your help and opinons :)

LPs (like other guitars) are very different from each other, which makes it mildly humorous that so many persons buy one sight unseen to get that "Les Paul" sound. The DeLuxe I own was the only one I ever played that I really liked the sound of, and then waited 13 years until its owner "allowed" me to buy it.

Anyhow, congratulations. You all will make as happy a couple as Lester and I do.

lpdeluxe said:
LPs (like other guitars) are very different from each other, which makes it mildly humorous that so many persons buy one sight unseen to get that "Les Paul" sound. The DeLuxe I own was the only one I ever played that I really liked the sound of, and then waited 13 years until its owner "allowed" me to buy it.

Anyhow, congratulations. You all will make as happy a couple as Lester and I do.

yeah. damn wood. so unpredictable.

why can't they make more guitars out of materials that are more predictable
.....like aluminum..........or fiberglass :D

I bought a Les studio as my first les partly due to cost and partly due to feel and sound when a compared to a Standard. What are the main differences between the studio and the the Classic. I know that my guitar weighs a ton.

Well, if your studio weighs a ton, a standard weighs a ton and a half. The studio is a lighter weight alternative to the standard/custom.-Richie

A friend owns a Les Paul Standard bass. If a Standard's a ton-and-a-half, the bass must be verging on 2!

I'm a fast learner: when I ordered my Carvin bass a few years ago I went with mahogany. A single, unaided person can actually lift it.

Back