Instrumental punk/alternative tune

Adam P

Here is a mix I've been working on to acquaint myself with Logic Studio 8, which I purchased around the time my band started tracking some material in my home project studio. We play a punk-rock inspired 90s-ish alternative sort of music...not too into the uber-compressed and quantized stuff thats out there today.

This song is instrumental...no lyrics or vocals yet but we may change that in the future. Everything was tracked to my HD24 and dumped into Logic on my Macbook for mixing.

Have a listen and share your thoughts. Thanks!

linky

the guitars sound a bit too thick and lack high end sparkle. maybe a eq boost in the high frequencies somewhere will help. Also i think panning each guitar hard to either side will help the bass sit better in the mix. The bass gets lost, but i like that stringy bright sound it has. (how do you get that bass sound by the way? does it have to do more with the strings or tuning or guitar? Ive been trying to get that sound, but i can't find it.) Drums sound good. Some people might say the toms are a bit much but i like 'em. Cool stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. I've had similar concerns regarding the guitars. They'll be my biggest project on this song, I think.

The bass is a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz with brand new GHS strings into a SansAmp pedal, through my board and into the HD24. A little bit of compression with one of Logic's included compressor plug-ins (don't recall which off the top of my head). Played with a yellow Dunlop Tortex pick, tuned a half-step down. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.

What sort of system did you listen on, if you don't mind me asking?

i use logic studio 8 too. try recording the guitars thru an m-audio interface, they'll sound amazing. i have a fast track pro and it works great with the macbook.

i used my beyerdynamic DT770-Pro headphones when i listened to it. what model SansAmp pedal? Do you have any experience with other bass pedals? The bassist in my band is looking to buy a bass pedal and i want to suggest something good so that i could borrow it for my own personal project recordings :). i'm a bum like that.

Back