Instrumental blues guitar. All feedback welcome!

Good jam. My first impression is it sounds somewhat like a small band in a small club recorded with mics - the drums mostly. The rest has more of a direct recording feel and sound. Some rhythm guitar in the same room as the drums would help to fill it out and bind it all together and help with that too bassy sound. I mean, in a club I'd expect a heavy bass for this style.

I like the bass, has a nice growl.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to add some rhythm guitar like you suggested and possibly also some brass parts too!

Thanks for your feedback earlier Spantini! I've created another mix, with some additional rythm guitar like you suggested, and at the risk of over-producing, I've also added a brass section (Courtesy of Logic's Studio Horns instrument).

What do you think?

The Blues Cut 2

Thanks,
Ben.

TBH, I didn't pick up much rhythm guitar there, it's like part of the backup band - supportive.
But the horns sound real good, helps pull it all together. Nice addition.

We be jammin! :listeningmusic:

Yeah.. the rhythm is up there now - nice. Like the wahs too! I think more reverb on the lead guitar would add to a club recording sound, mostly on the phrase endings so it rings on a bit - if that's where you're going.

My comments are based on my impression of this as a live recording in a small club. As a studio session, I'd probably recommend differently. I prefer my live version better :)

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. The only real instruments are the guitars (excluding the bass). The drums are using EZDrummer’s vintage kit. The guitars are using a Bias Amp 2 Plugin designed to mimic an overdriven JTM45 going into a tweed lux cab mic’d up with a 57. I use a CryBaby wah pedal too for all wah sounds. Keys are using a variety of plugins. Horns/brass are using Logic Pro’s Studio Horns.

The bass guitar is actually EZBass tracked from a guitar part (I don’t currently own a real bass guitar sadly)

Thanks,
Ben.

Nice tone and chops! Sounds nice and locked in. Mix 3 sounds the best to me overall, but in the beginning it sounded a bit too congested --- too many things built up in the lower mids it sounded like. Once the main guitar melody entered, it thinned out a bit and made room for the lead, and it sounded great.

Drums sound good. I dig EZD2 as well. :)

The only constructive criticism I can offer on the lead would have to do with rhythmic placement of things --- particularly the double-timed (16th -note) lines. Save for the very first one, they almost all started on beat 1 of a measure. By the end of the song, it started to sound a bit too predictable, IMHO. They were cool licks and well-executed, but the phrasing just started to sound a bit cookie-cutter after a while to me.

Overall, though, well done and nice playing! :)

Back