I'm ready for some football.

And the previously 1-5 Chiefs clenched a playoff spot today! Thanks Baltimore for knocking Pittsburgh out of contention , too!

And holy crap, how about Arizona absolutely crushing Green bay right now?

Like WTF would you care which side of the field you're going to be on for the OT!!! :p
Wind may have been a factor.Choosing to kick was not an entirely bad idea. If you got a stop, you're in position to win w/ a field goal. Their defense had been playing better than their offense.

Regardless, the Jets outplayed the Patriots on all fronts. The only thing they really screwed up on was allowing them three 4th down conversions, which kept the Patriots in the game.

No doubt the Jets played better across the board.They had a lot more to play for.I honestly question how hard the Pats were trying to win.I couldn't understand their lack of interest in trying to score at the end of the first half. They had close to 2 min and all their time outs and just let the time run. Same with the end of regulation. They had 30 secs plus and didn't even bother.
A win against Miami and #1 seed is assured.

Wind may have been a factor.Choosing to kick was not an entirely bad idea. If you got a stop, you're in position to win w/ a field goal.

Mmmmm...my understanding with the new OT rules....a TD on the first OT possession is a sudden-death win, like what happened...but a field goal is not.
So had the Jets scored a FG on that fist possession, then the Pats would still get a turn to tie with a FG...or win with a TD on their first possession.
I think if they still have a tie after each has one possession, then they will play the full 15 min, and it could potentially end with a tie.

That's how the Jets beat the Giants if I recall. The Jets scored a FG on their first possession, and then the Giants on their 1st possession missed a FG...end of game, Jets won.

So...with those rules, I just can't see any reason to choose to kick rather than receive for first OT possession.
I think the Pats screwed up and thought they would have one shot even if the Jets scored a TD...NOT! :D

Mmmmm...my understanding with the new OT rules....a TD on the first OT possession is a sudden-death win, like what happened...but a field goal is not.
So had the Jets scored a FG on that fist possession, then the Pats would still get a turn to tie with a FG...or win with a TD on their first possession.
I think if they still have a tie after each has one possession, then they will play the full 15 min, and it could potentially end with a tie.

That's how the Jets beat the Giants if I recall. The Jets scored a FG on their first possession, and then the Giants on their 1st possession missed a FG...end of game, Jets won.

So...with those rules, I just can't see any reason to choose to kick rather than receive for first OT possession.
I think the Pats screwed up and thought they would have one shot even if the Jets scored a TD...NOT! :D
Obviously it didn't work, so it's obviously a mistake. It worked for them once, last year, so it's not unprecedented.

I think that after one possession each it goes to sudden death unless no one scores in which case it can go the entire 15 minutes and end in a tie.
But after the one possession each bit any score ends it.

Per the NFL Operations website:
- At the end of regulation, the referee will toss a coin to determine which team will possess the ball first in overtime. The visiting team captain will call the toss.

-No more than one 15-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession.

- Sudden death play — where the game ends on any score (safety, field goal or touchdown) — continues until a winner is determined.

- Each team gets two timeouts.

- The point after try is not attempted if the game ends on a touchdown.

- If the score is still tied at the end of the overtime period, the result of the game will be recorded as a tie.

- There are no instant replay coach’s challenges; all reviews will be initiated by the replay official.

Oh well, OU made a good showing for the Big 12. Our hometown hero, Samaje was shutdown with only 60 yards rushing, then an ankle injury.

But Sheesh, where was Michigan State?? I didn't see the game, but didn't need to with THAT score. :laughings:

What's on tap this weekend?

Yeah I think somebody forgot to tell MSU that they had a game yesterday...it was so boring that I switched over to watching a show called "Fat Guys in the Woods" lol

Oh well, OU made a good showing for the Big 12. Our hometown hero, Samaje was shutdown with only 60 yards rushing, then an ankle injury.

But Sheesh, where was Michigan State?? I didn't see the game, but didn't need to with THAT score. :laughings:

What's on tap this weekend?

The BIG is strong in the middle. but weak at the top.;)

Damn, the Pats are sucking some ass!
Fucking Chargers! They've gotten 4 1st half turnovers and only have 3 pts. It's like they're not even trying to help the Pats get the 1st seed.
Weenies! :mad:

No Jets commentary? Not only losing their shot at a playoff berth, but to Rex Ryan on top of it. Quite an embarassment... same ol' Jets. :D

There is some bad kicking unit mojo in this SEA vs ARZ game. both kicking units have missed a FG and extra point each and we are only at half time.

Hauschka used to be such a solid kicker. I guess it take one little thing mess with their heads.

No Jets commentary? Not only losing their shot at a playoff berth, but to Rex Ryan on top of it. Quite an embarassment... same ol' Jets. :D

What's there to say...that the Jets redefined "loosing ugly". :facepalm:

I was really hoping to see them stick with it after winning the last 5 games, and make it to the playoffs, even though I didn't expect them to go deep in the playoffs if they got in...but I had a feeling that whatever they had going up to now was somehow going to disappear when it was needed the most.
Shame really...I think they played tough most of the season even though they don't have as much of the high-priced talent like some of the other top contenders. Fitzpatrick played heroically all season...so it kinda sucks that he might get blamed for this last game loss with the interceptions...though really, the entire team played like shit today.

Back