Help with normalled patchbay

hansgauffin

Hi, I need a little help to understand how my patchbay is working.
I got a TASCAM PB32-B, balanced, normalled patchbay and is trying to figure out how to use it the way I want.

First...

I can connect a Compressor to channel 1 thru the patchbay like this
1 2
REAR up /send1 /comp1 out/
bottom /comp1 in / rtn 1 /

But when It´ll be time to put down some vocals, I´d like to be able to also add a deeseer last in the chain and back to rtn 1, how do I do that??
Please help me!!

/Hans

The way you have it is just like running it in line. What you would want to do is have your insert send on the top row and the insert return on the bottom row. Usually the insert rows are half normalled. I'm not sure on your model of patch bay if you can switch what type of connection it is.

Than you would hook up your compressor and deesser to available patches. Usually a patch bay is outputs on top and inputs on the bottom but when your hooking up outboard gear it doesnt matter because the connections are non normalled. So again you have to switch this on your patchbay if you can.

Compressor input on top row and compressor output on bottom row. Same with the deesser. Than you can patch whatever you want. If you want your compressor on insert on you take the send of that insert patch that into the input of the compressor than the output of the compressor into the return of the insert. That simple.

If you want both you just daisy chain the output of one to the input of the other and than the last output to the insert return.

Back