Favourite Drummers

I saw Billy Cobham http://www.billycobham.com play at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT and he was using Mapex. It was many years ago, I never heard of those drums at the time and was somewhat disappointed in the show. He does not let loose enough, but did his signature intense, tight interaction with the guitar player. (He was original drummer in John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra). Dave Weckl is similar in style and is also good.

My favorite drum work is Michael Walden playing on the song Eternity's Breath on the Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Vision of the Emerald Beyond."

Steve Smith is another good one. Check him out with Scott Henderson (master strat guitar player) and Victor Wooten (master bass player) on an album called the Vital Tech Tones.

I'll agree with you there Snouter! Cobham is intense!

Steven Perkins
Jimmy Chamberlin
Billy Cobham
Joey Baron

The best the greatest- the most fantastic.... JACK DEJONETTE! no mention of him till now? what you guys don't like jazz? Check out Oneness- absolutly amazing- a modern, etheral bitches brew!

-jhe

Thanks James, I will check those goes guys out on a search Amazon's CD section.

I listen to and watch musicians to get inpiration to improve my own skills (I am a blues guitar player - Rory Gallagher being the strongest inspiration for me), but have to program the drum machine for recording ;). I believe that the only way to improve at anything is to be exposed to the best the world has to offer.

It really is a shame that FM radio and cable TV do not give any coverage to these great musicians.

Here´s my favourites (at this moment):

Chad Smith is allready mentioned but he´s groovy. I like ghost notes myself and this guy does it with style.
One part that plays in my head is "walkabout" from the "one hot minute". Listen to that ghost jamming...

One that I´ve listened to lately is this Finnish band HIM (His Infernal Majesty). It´s pretty straight forvard but the drummer Gas Lipstick is really good at that...

Maybe I think of some more some time...

Travis from Blink 182 is pretty good...
he is much better than scott (old drummer)... he makes the over-all sound alot tighter, but their music could be a little better still....

Tim

vinnie colaiuta - session guy - check out sting: 10 summoners tales, mercury falling

manu katche - another session guy - is on tour right now with sting but check out joe satriani: joe satriani

carter beauford - DMB - what can i say? phenom

abe cunningham - deftones drummer - check him out his stuff is really sparse and powerful and good :)

stewart copeland - police drummer - huge influence

but the best i would have to say is vinnie.... technically,
feel-wise, creativitely, musically, he solidifies anything he plays on. rock on!!
mac

New Guys:
John McEntire-Tortoise
John Herndon-5ive Style
Zach Barocas-The Up On In
Ryan Rapsys-Euphone
Billy Martin-MMW
Eric Kerr-Club d'ELF

Old Guys:
John Bonham
Stewart Copeland
Ringo
Charlie Watts

Jazzers:
Jack DeJohnette
Philly Joe Jones
Grady Tate
Jimmy Cobb
Elvin Jones

John Bonham
Keith Moon
Larry Mullen Jnr.-the latter not mentioned I don't think, but one hell of a drummer and percussionist.

I can't believe you guys missed this one:
John Densmore of The Doors.
All I can say is one word: "finesse"
This guy is THE Drummer extrordinaire.

I have been listening to a CD called Cause and Effect, featuring master guitarist Larry Coryell, quite a bit lately and suggest to anyone who has not heard of Steve Smith to please check him out.

The last song is called "Finale: Wes and Jimi" (reference obviously to two great guitarist no longer with us).

Steve Smith's drumming is awesome. Some passages are reminiscent of the fills (my favorite parts) Bonzo used in Led Zep's "Good Times Bad Times."

Here's my list...

Rock: Tommy Aldrige(Black Oak,Pat Travers,Whitesnake,Ozzie) Tommy Ramone (Really!),
Liberty DeVito (Joel, Meatloaf)
Jerry Mercer (April Wine)
Charlie Watts (Stones-Very under-rated)

Jazz: Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Jack DeJohnette, and the MilesDavis of the drums, Tony Williams.

In no order...

Jeff Burrows (The Tea Party)
Vinnie Paul (Pantera)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Mike Bordin (Faith No More)
Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre)
David Garibaldi (Tower of Power)
Chris Layton (Double Trouble)
Carter Beauford (Dave Mathews)
Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix)
Matt Cameron (Soundgarden)
Dave Krusen (First Pearl Jam album, new Candlebox album)
Buddy Rich (as himself)
Gene Krupa (as himself)

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy)

I'm surprised no one mentioned Brian Downey from Thin Lizzy. Hands down one of the greatest rock drummers ever. Pick up Bad Reputation, Black Rose, Live & Dangerous... any Lizzy album & you'll understand.

Have to throw a vote in for Peart, and Pat Travers era Tommy Aldridge.

Kris

Favorite Drummers...

Strictly my personal opinion, in no particular order.

-Vinny Paul
-Neil Peart
-Nick Menza
-Stewart Copeland
-Carmine Appice
-Morgan Rose
-Tommy Aldridge
-Randy Castillo
-Bill Ward
-Nicko McBrain

STiCKMaN

Gene Krupa was the first guy to play double bass - I do believe.

Favorite rockers -
Moonie
Steve Porcaro
Brian Downey (4th mention)
Dave Robertson (Cars)

and a host of others.

bballjones:

You mean Jeff Porcaro (who of course is sadly dead), Steve was the keyboard player. :)

While I'm here, a few others I like:

Narada Michael Walden - Jeff Beck
Nick Mason - Pink Floyd
Phil Rudd - AC/DC

[Edited by Emeric on 09-17-2000 at 09:51]

geez...this threads STILL going!!

I was watching this drumming video in a music shop, and there was this guy, I forget his name, but he was playing a single pedal on his kickdrum, with BOTH feet...
i was amazed...so i went home and gave it a shot, only to find it is bloody hard...

I'll stick to my double kick :D

Tim

PS - anyone know th name of the guy????

Back