Favourite Drummers

What about Joe Vitale.
The drummer at my church is also very awesome. Some of the band members sometimes even have a hard time playing with him because his drumming is so full and dynamic. His name is Bob Kerik.

Roy McDonald from "the Muffs" and "Redd Kross" is pretty cool

Dave Lombardo is awesome

Matt Skitz from aussie band "damaged" is lightning fast

My first post....

Guys, my first post and I have to add to this thread...

Mike Portnoy.... He is the man at the moment (you don't believe me - check out "Scenes From A Memory", Dream Theater's latest effort - there's some excellent production on there too...!).

Other honorary mentions would be Ian Paice (You Fool No-one), and the guy who played on Sting's "10 Summoners Tales" (and possibly other Sting stuff), I can't remember the guy's name, but check out the fills towards the end of "Seven Days", oh my God...!

Dave (a UK jammer).

Gee, I'm hurt. No one has mentioned Stan Lynch, former drummer with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Boy do they need him back, although that's not likely to happen. The guy is just the master of all that is great and exciting about real rock drumming.

Besides Stan, my favorite drummers (in no particular order) are: Charlie, Bonham, Moon, Ringo, Stewart Copeland, Zigabu Modeliste, Simon Kirke (Free/Bad Co.), Dave Grohl, no doubt some others I'm not thinking of right now (not enough coffee yet). Buddy Rich - duh. Sly Dunbar. I also just saw Zak Starkey playing with the Who and now have to add his name to the list - amazing! And, although I didn't think he was right for the Who I thought Kenney Jones was awesome with the Faces and Small Faces. Not much of a Dave Matthews fan but Carter Beauford is tasty!

Sorry but I never did get the Neil Peart thing. I judge drumming primarily by feel and, quite honestly, I've never thought he had any. All the technical wizardry in the world can't make up for that IMO. Drummers (or anybody else) who do nothing but show off all their chops just bore me to tears.

--Lee

I'm glad somebody finally mentioned Tommy Aldridge...I think it was Kris2. Amazing rocker there!
I've got a great one that no one has mentioned yet...Phil Ehart of Kansas. Masterful...I also really love Neil Peart. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but the guy is a big influence on my music, and I'm a guitar player!
Also, Lee Kerslake of Uriah Heep. If you wanna hear a powerhouse live, go get Live '73 by Uriah Heep. Still one of the greatest live albums EVER made!
Ringo wasn't the greatest technically, but what he and those 3 others did was change my life forever. I love every beat he ever played! Keith Moon...can never be another like him. You knew it was him before the first measure was finished. Sorry I don't know any of the new guys today...I am sure there are some really great ones out there.

"Sorry but I never did get the Neil Peart thing. I judge drumming primarily by feel and, quite honestly, I've never thought he had any."

Really? Keep the musical perspective here. If you've listened to RUSH, you know what that is. Perhaps it's the music you don't like. He has lots of this so called "feel". And amazingly.. it's in time!

"All the technical wizardry in the world can't make up for that IMO. Drummers (or anybody else) who do nothing but show off all their chops just bore me to tears."

That's a shame. Without the chops(rudiments), you have no direction. Try and play a few songs off of "Permanent Waves" sometime. You might appreciate the "wizardy" more.

Not meaning to be argumentive. But really...

Yes, Emeric, you're right, I can't stand listening to Rush's music. And since I consider drums to be the foundation of music, the drums are the first thing I hear that I don't like. :) Hey, I realize lots and lots of people think Peart is God, and they are welcome to their opinion, I just don't share it, despite the many people who have tried and tried since I was around 13 years old (I'm now 37) to get me to appreciate him. I just think he sounds stiff and mechanical most of the time, and tries to do too much the rest of the time.

And it's not that I don't appreciate chops and the importance of rudiments. I mentioned that my favorite drummer is Stan Lynch. Stan certainly does have perfect time, and he certainly knows his rudiments. Anything he wants to execute, he can execute. But, most of his style is built around feel and simplicity and his chops only work to serve and enhance that. He uses his chops to give him a more relaxed groove and more control over his dynamics and accents and that sort of thing.

It's just a totally different philosophy and I have noticed over the years that most people who worship chops cannot appreciate "feel" musicians properly and vice versa. Oh well, viva la difference.

--Lee

MR. STARKEY

Three cheers for you guys who give accolades to Ringo...super tasty and proficient(heck with just "playing those parts...try coming up with them!).
Also,nice to see Stan Lynch mentioned too.The real drummers don't use the song to play their instruments,but the other way around(I guess that goes for all musicians).

By far, the best drummer on the face of this earth has to be Carter Beauford......drummer for the Dave Matthews Band. I saw the band put on a show in Nashville this year and that boy put on one hell of a show. Not only is he a phenomenal drummer.......but you can tell by watching him that he's having a great time playin'. Of course, he plays the best instrument known to man, so why wouldn't he?

I have to jump in on the Neil Peart thing, since at least I'm not the only one who isn't *that* impressed. I think he's good, don't get me wrong, but there isn't much *feel* to his drumming. I think I know why, too, and he'll be the first to tell you: he's not a natural. He works his ass off, he writes parts to the songs and he plays those parts almost exactly note-for-note. He does some things differently live than he did on the albums, but on tour he plays the same new "improvised" parts every night (from what I've heard). I've heard it straight from his own mouth (on a video) that he's always envied the guys with natural ability because he has to work very hard at it. I think it comes across in his playing as very calculated and emotionless, but sometimes very cool nonetheless. And speaking of *pure* skill for skill's sake, I don't think I've ever heard him do anything that really blew me away.

While I'm here; Carter Beauford is the man, gets a little carried away sometimes though (and I've read that he knows it). I love Incubus' drummer - *very* solid live, too. I only really know band drummers - I've never been very interested in the show-off clinic drummers, but I'll be the first to admit they're amazing. Sean Reinert blows me away; there are some awesome drummers in speed metal.

Tommy Lee? Ok, everybody's entitled to their opinion, but my opinion is that Tommy Lee is the second most over-rated drummer in the business. Number one? Lars Ulrich. He used to be fairly creative sometimes, but as far as pure playing skills go he's a hack. If you've ever seen Metallica live you probably know what I'm talking about. If he's *really* concentrating and doesn't try to do anything complicated (as in all their newer music) he can be pretty solid (witness the S&M DVD). I'm not saying he completely sucks - he can hold a tempo usually and he doesn't destroy the music. But he definitely gets much more recognition and respect than he deserves as a drummer because of the band he happens to be in.

Back