Favourite Drummers

My Fave...

Well of course as many have said before me both Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart are obvious choices. I also am very fond of a few lesser knowns that are excellent musicians:

Jan Axel Von Blomberg (Arcturus, Mayhem, & many others)
Nick Barker (Cradle Of Filth and others)
Tjoldav (Dimmu Borgir & Old Man's Child)
Me (hah! just kidding)

Just my two pennies. -DP

The best DRUMMER?

I've played drums for over 28 years. It does'nt surprise me that you people have never thought to look at a less commercial performer. Get off the beat'in path. More high quality talent exists than you can imagine. Where do you think commercial talent gets it's ideas from? If you are a serious precussionist - you will immediately go purchase any DAVE WECKL cd. Don't get caught up in the myth that...
"Yeah, this guy who really plays well says he learned every thing he knows from drummer "X". Commercial talent does nothing else but regurgitate what has already be done. Underground talent are those who have the balls to try something new and express their talent in a non-conventional way. It amazes me that none of you have mentioned guys like Billy Cobham, Buddy Rich, Tito Puentias etc... Quit listening to your heroes and start listening to performers that have spent their lives learning a craft -not a popularity contest. You will all become better precussionist by doing so.

me likes

I love drummers who can hold a tight beat and still do odder sounding things.

So:

Eric Kretts - STP This guy has odd rythyms that fit well.
Jimmy Chamberlin - Smashing Pumkins What can I say he's a jazz drummer buy nature, and in a rock band(well was in a rock band).....
Matt Cammrin - this guy is simple but good.

Im a guitarist but play drums, but these are the guys that make me wanna play better.
-Reco

Just about all my favorite drummers mentioned somewhere in this thread. A new release that I've been listening to A LOT lately is a cd called IN EXTREMIS by a band called THINKING PLAGUE. VERY TRICKY RHYTHMS, yet not specific to the drummer, but rather encorporated throughout entire band. Still, very musical, in my opinion. Paul

Carl Palmer
Chester Thompson
The guy from King Crimson (Bill Bruford????)
The guy from Boston (???)
The guy from Styx (???)

Pretty high-and-mighty attitude there cab25 - did you ever consider that some of us already know about all the underground talent out there but prefer listening to bands performing songs rather than drummers showing off? Don't take that the wrong way - I'm not debating the fact that the drummers you're talking about are amazing, but I do take exception to your assertions about drummers in commercial bands. Overall the field of commercial drummers does contain a lot of unskilled hacks, but there are some out there that are just as talented and skilled as the underground drummers. I watch something like a Modern Drummer festival video and I'm amazed by some of the talent, but I wouldn't choose to listen to that kind of stuff regularly. I'd much rather listen to Carter Beauford compliment Dave Matthew's great songs than some drumming God showing off over some manufactured backup music.

You'll probably be offended by some of my comments about show-off drummers because I'm generalizing about them in the same way you generalized about commercial drummers. That's not really my point though - what I'm trying to say is that we're discussing two different schools of drumming here, neither more valid than the other. If my goal is to play with more conventional bands because that's what I enjoy then I'm going to have a lot of respect for Carter Beauford, Tim Alexander, Matt Cameron, Charlie Benante and other commercial drummers. If I want to be a respected drumming talent doing the clinic circuit and putting out solo albums then I'll look up to Dave Weckl, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio, etc. (I realize those guys have done some work with commercial bands).

Danny Carey from Tool. No question he is #1.
Neil Peart was incredible, whether he had feel or not, he was friggin incredible.
Mike Mangini from Extreme, and the new Vai. (That guy rules, yet no one mentioned him)
The drummer from Fear Factory. - I absolutely hate their music, but that guy has elastic knees I tell you! Download "Zero Signal" I believe. Crazy double bass.
Pearl Jam's drummer on the first album rocked.
For fast punk drumming type stuff check out a indie band, from Oregon i think, called Cigar. http://www.theologianrecords.com has some sound clips I think. That guys rolls are awesome, just has a feel to it.
Carter Beauford from DMB is awesome as well.
Check out the "Magical Evening with Santana" DVD. That drummer is very cool as well( and Carter Beauford plays on it). I love the look on his face when he does double bass rolls (I swear hes constipated).
Whether Tommy Lee is overrated or not, he had that incredibly cool rotating cage thing on that one tour. That thing ruled.
I have a lot of favorites, but they all deserve major recognition.

Ringo on I Feel Fine, Help live,INTENSE. Roland Tom Sholtz played all the drums on the first Boston album.The guy in the picture played the first concert tour.

Why didn't anyone mention Max from Conan O'Brien? Max is really really good. I also like travis from Blink 182, he's so soild and really creative. Keith Moon and Ginger Baker, no doubt about it amazing. Brendan from Fugazi, I think has some good creative stuff using toms insted of hit hat and ride to keep the beat moving. He also has a similar rythm to the drummer of my first band who basically tought me rythm. I'm going to have to include the drummer of Earth Crisis even though I can't stand them, because he doesn't rely on the hi-hat to keep he song going. If any of you know anything about old english anarchist punk music, you'll know all about Josef from the Zound and the Mob, he's just too good to be true. Number 1, Moon by far, if only Pete would have sang lead, the Who would be the best band ever.

~james

Kris 2 ,Who else played on the first album. Tom said in a live interview that he recorded the first album in his basement years before there was a band and said only the vocals were added then. I am very interested in this album where can I get more info on its players and makers.

Paulie, I talked with Charlie Farren (Farrenheit, Joe Perry Project) about this very subject a few years ago. Scholtz did lay down some basic tracks originally, but Jim Mazdea then re-recorded all of the drums. Scholtz of course did all of the guitar, bass and keyboard work, and Brad Delp did all of the vocals. This was happening while the touring band (Fran Sheehan, Barry Goudreau and Sib Hashian) were in LA promoting the album. Scholtz & Delp were taking the redeye back & forth to Boston trying to get the album done. The only other person who played was Goudreau, who did some of the harmony guitar on "Peace of Mind".

Kris

danny carey of course

and abe cunningham from the deftones gives me some warm fuzzy feelings too

i love odd hits on the hi hat or ride where most people just do a straight beat on em

but i'm a guitarist
drums make me happy too

Couldn't let this thread die just yet! Anyone remember Joe X. Dube from Starz? Killer drummer! I'll also mention Caesar Zuiderwijk from Golden Earring as another fave drummer.

Billly Martin (MMW)
John Fishman (Phish)
Akira Jimbo (independent: If you're a drummer, check him out. You may hate his music, I do, but you'll appreciate his supernatural talent)
Carter Beauford (DMB)
Dave Weckl (Of course)
Almost any drummer that played with Zappa

I just have interject here...... It's funny to me that whenever Neil Peart gets mentioned somewhere, it always turns into a debate of his feel verses his chops. I can't remember who said it in this post post but someone pointed out that Neil himself admitted he was "calculated" and that he envy's drummers with the natural ability to just groove.

What Neil REALLY said was that many peaple are under the impression that all there songs were written out and the time signatures were all written for him. That's not the case.

What people are not understanding is that (1) Alex and geddy write the material in all these fucked up signatures and then they present it to Neil. Instead of him blowing all his time figuring out what time signature it's in, he'll play to it until he can find where the barlines are and take it from there. That's his approach.... not mathmatically filling in the puzzle like some other Neil wannabe who's name I won't mention (Hint- his band has the words "Dream" and "Theatre" in it)! Talk about no feel and mathmatical.... yikes! And (2) He's not trying to impress any of us, which I think is respectable in itself. Especially now! He's trying to amuze HIMSELF. He's growing as a drummer but that doesn't mean he's getting faster on his feet or quicker with his hands. It just means he's finding what works for HIM to reach HIS goals. He's doing his own thing and trying to acheive what HE thinks is the shit.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for music to dance to, don't grab for the Rush CD's. If you want to hear some mastery drumming (and other musicianship for that matter), take oue any Rush CD except for the first album, which was not Neil.

Sorry to post this here but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on Peart bashing.

By the way.... My favorite drummer is Neil Peart

:D :D

Back