Favourite Drummers

OK- The only music I listen to these days is punk, well- that and the crap I hear on the radio at work.

And at the risk of getting bagged out by all of you (coz admittedly, punk rock is very very fast, but not real huge on inventiveness) I'm not gonna mention Erik Sandin (NOFX), Derrick (ex Lagwagon) and a bunch of others, but I will definitely put in for Danny Carey (Tool), he is the man.

Derrik, ex lagwagon, he was drumming on the 'trashed' album, right????? (stokin' the neighbors!!)

that man is a speed freak!

john bonham-the master of all that is groove.

danny carey-despite what some people think, i feel that danny is today's equivalent to bonham, and that, rather than worrying about drumschool techniques, he's reached a point where he simply plays to express what he wants to express. i'll take a jam session with danny before any rock drummer alive today. his sense of dynamics and originality in style are amazing, and i suspect he could give a lot of technical drummers a run for their money.

the guy from meshuggah-amazing precision and tempo control. he seriously amazed me when i saw them.

keith moon-like bonham. i'm a little more moved by bonham, but keith had some amazing fills, so i'm reluctant to rate one above the other.

the guy from krisiun-just because of the raw speed-fastest drummer i've ever heard. kind of like a cross between igor from sepultura and dave from slayer, only MUCH MUCH faster.

i'm at a loss for a way that anyone could listen to tool and not be blown away by danny's ability to express on the drums. i guess different people are impressed by different things, but wow-i think i might put danny on top of my alltime list (though i feel like a blasphemer not butting bonham here)

i dig peart from rush, but i'll be damned if i've EVER heard any real groove in a rush song. peart is like a drum instructor to me-immaculate technique, no heart.

And there we have it. Yet another satisfied Danny Carey/Tool listener. Thats 2 people with Carey at the top of their short lists.

Tool rocks...

Oh yeah, I forgot Meshuggah. Trying to count that shit will make you stupid.

The real question is... Who is the all time greatest drummer? And if your thinking what im thinking, I only see one mention of him thus far.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zer0sig:

the guy from meshuggah-amazing precision and tempo control. he seriously amazed me when i saw them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's Thomas Haake. I've never heard anyone use doublebass the way he does. Maybe I don't listen to enough drummers but I've never seen anyone with that type of skill. Some are more skilled than him, of course, but just his style is amazing to me.

And if you want pure speed...Check out Cryptopsy's drummer, Flo. He's a short little Mexi-Canadian who must be some otherworldly being. That or just on lots of drugs.

yeah, i dig cryptopsy-they sound like what cannibal corpse could have hoped to be to me-but the guy from krisiun is quite a bit faster than he as well. i've never heard a band as fast as krisiun. it's frightening. some of their songs are probably 30bpm faster than anything i've heard by cryptopsy. wow. check out their newer album, as it's better produced. black force domain is decent, but not as well produced and seems to fatique the ear a little more. i think the new one is something like apocalyptic revelations or something similar and deathmetal-sounding ;).. incidentally, aborticide(in the crypts of holiness) is one of the badassest songs i've ever heard. it's like sepultura+slayer+evil+speed+more evil+ more speed. just thoroughly impressive and distinctive stuff.

noone's said Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck Quartet who pioneered time signatures like 5/4 and 7/4 which all the later drummers followed. he was the drummers drummer in his day and still is to many.

noone's said Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck Quartet who pioneered time signatures like 5/4 and 7/4 which all the later drummers followed. he was the drummers drummer in his day and still is to many.

don't get pissed at me for this one, but i like Travis Barker from Blink-182. Now, I don't care for the band, but if you listen to some songs on that cd (track 4 i think) he can roll really fast, and has great fills and a style kinda his own. I only mention him because he used to be in my favorite band The Aquabats. anyone heard of em?

>>>mike

BUDDY RICH!!!!!!!!!!

*Any of you guys heard of a guy named Orestes who played for Bitch Magnet? He was apparently a mathematician who's playing was somewhere between Matt Cameron from Soundgarden and Neil Peart but with some pretty mathematical stuff thrown in there. A real headful, while tasteful, yet a really hard rockin' player. And he had killer technique. The Album title is "Umber" by the way.

-machine

Wow, this thread is still going? Lot's of great names here!

Okay, I'm in.
I'll second (third?) the votes for Ringo (very underrated, listen to the way he holds back the beat in "Ticket to Ride"... Brilliant.
Neil Peart is a master - after being way out there, he somehow always finds a way to get back (an right on!) the downbeat.
Keith Moon was fabulous.
I guess my personal favorite is (surprise, surprise) John Bonham (groover extraordinaire), but a close second is a guy you have to listen to (go back and do it again, though I'm sure you've heard the songs, but even if you haven't already) - BJ Wilson of Procol Harum. The greatest tom fills, he knew not only what and when to play, but what and when NOT to play. A sparse, yet powerful style. Have a listen. Sadly, he passed away several years back.

Hell yes! I was wondering whenever someone was gonna mention Lars Ulrich...

Not to mention that hes the only SMART one in the band... new metallica SUCKS!

Peter was the bass player, Coda...
Mickey Dolenz was the drummer. (well, the "fake" drummer)

Back