Favourite Drummers

portnoy vs. carey???

sorry dude, portnoy's good. can play anything, any style any this that the other thing. HE CAN"T WRITE LIKE DANNY CAREY!!! he's a big huge COLLEGE BOOKIE!!!! with shitloadsa talent, wasted on following all the RULES he learned in school. he's too damn text book. Danny carey sounds like NO ONE else. you can;t hear who he likes and what drummers influenced him in music because he's never done anything he's heard before. Mike Portnoy could probably play every tool song and then some, but as far as writing music that isn;t very uniform, taking ambient sounds and finding the perfect drumline for something that the average person would never imagine drums to fit with, creating his own style - carey can;t be beat. protnoy is a shining perfect example of the fruits of prog bands and great drummers from the last 30 years. Carey is the shining example of music you or anyone else has never heard before. All portnoy has done has taken the torch of prog and jazz and other fancy drummers to todays high quality sound. he didn't create anything on his own. no drummer in history has ever created a personality as unique and fresh. The only band thats ever been as unique and fresh and un-heard is pink floyd, maybe tull. Don;t ever put a school taught-booksmart-couldn;t come up with something he hasn;t heard before-drummer like portnoy up against a let's see, i've never heard anything like that before-let's re-invent rock percussions-drummer like carey. I can safely say I am as GOOD a drummer as portnoy, i've written drumlines that were far more personal and fitting to the surrounding music. i may not be all blown up with years of schooling and technique and sit perfectly up-right and all that happy crap, but i think a drummer is good by how he makes music. not how fast or off timing he can play. how he can write. and mike portnoy can;t write compared to carey. or beauford. or peart. or barrimore barlow (tull - 71'-75' - he did thick as a brick and passion play and all that amazing prog stuff they did. let's see mike protnoy write percussions as odd and unique as Passion Play??) sorry for the long post, i ramble un-controllably.

You know..... You're right about Danny Carey. I'm not a big Tool fan but his drumming draws me to listen to the CDs. When I listen to Tool, I pretty much tune everything else out because Carey plays so damn good. He's definitely a bad ass! I actually consider him more of a modern day Neil Peart then Portnoy. The reason I do is because Neil got away with doing so much on albums and the radio while everyone else was just keepin the beat. Carey is also gettin away with doing a whole lot of drumming on the albums and the radio as well. The music is similar in many respects. But you're also sadly right about Portnoy (or PortANNOY is what I call him). He probably can play just about everything under the sun but he's not very musical. He's good at what he does but so what.... He's nothing special! I think the only eason he is where he is today is because he got very lucky!!
RF

Drummers that have been instrumental in my growth on the kit...

Danny Carey (Tool)
Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck)
Stewart Copeland (Police, Oysterhead)
Tim Alexander (Primus, Laundry)
Chad Sexton (311)
Neil Peart
and the various drummers and percussionists that are (or have been) employed by Peter Gabriel, particularly on his incredible album Passion.

Hrm..tough

Neil Peart - Rush
Danny Carey - Tool
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden
Joey Jordison - Slipknot(ok the band is HORRIBLE, but damn is that guy fast!..now i think about it they do have 2 other 'percussionists' but i've never seen them do anything at all)
Dave Lombardo - Slayer, Grip Inc., Fantomas
Sean Kinney(pretty simple, but i mean hes in AIC he has to be mentioned) - Alice in Chains
Vinnie Paul - Pantera
and last but not least Jon Bonham =)

I think most of the classics have been mentioned, but as far as more recent drummers go...

Travis Barkor from Blink-182 is crazy
Lars Ulrich
and no one has mentioned Josh Freese...he has to be hands down one of the best drummers around right now. He plays on the A Perfect Circle album, Abandoned Pools (which everyone should check out, if they haven't heard it), Chris Cornell solo album, long time drummer for Devo and The Vandals. The guy is simply amazing.

Barrimore Barlow
He played for Tull through most of their big years. I also saw his name on Ynvey's (however it's spelt) Rising Force album cover. Just amazing drummer.

In no particular order
Mitch Michel
John Bonham
Neil peart
Buddy Miles

More recent guys
Jimmy Chamberland
The drummer that played with Nirvana

Tomas Haake of Meshuggah is one of the best drummers on the planet for sure...........people think he just playes double bass a lot, and he does, but he can do so much more........he's so technical with his hi-hat, snare, and tom work, it's insane........I've heard his drum clinic that he did in Sweden back in 2000.........his limb control is second to none and he's so solid.........he beats Vinnie Paul hands down in my opinion easily.....he's more than just a death metal drummer>>>

DRUMMERS

jOEY-SLIPKNOT
DAVE LOMBARDO-SLAYER
VINNIE PAUL-PANTERA
NICK-DIMMU BORGUIR
MIKE PORTNOY-DREAMTHEATER
PAUL BOSTAPH-OLD SLAYER DRUMMER
JOHN TEMPESTA-ROB ZOMBIE
ORIGINS DRUMMER
PETE SANDOVAL-MORBID ANGEL

In terms of rock drummers today, Chad Sexton from 311 is hands down the best. Before you criticize, listen to more than five of their songs. He grooves so well, look for the small hits on the snare in the middle of beats. Also, at the end of "Wake you mind up" he pulls out a cool fill that every drummer on this forum should download and lisen to.

Eveyone should download Tomas Haake's drum clinic from 2000 that I have.......if I still had it saved on my computer I'd upload it but I don't so you'll have to go find it somewhere.......he's the best.......he puts all others to shame with his technical fills and limb control........he can play any pattern at any tempo and still keep time with his hi-hat>>>

Matt Sorum (Guns N' Roses, The Cult
Defence (B1RD$H!T)

and some other guys too

ok ok the second guy sucks i just had to put him up cause he's my drummer he's fruity too

VIVA LA ME

ROGER TAYLOR of Queen
I didn't expect millions of people to mention him, but definitly should've been mentioned more than once.
he was a great overall musician and writer, plus he played the drums with precision, at the same time having rockstar ego and glamorous presence.
(with the NIEL PEART thing) Of course, he's overated. But don't deny his abilities. I'm not the biggest fan, but I respect that he can do many things that I and alot of other drummers can't do. Admit it.

You can find one good thing about all drummers. For example I'm not a Metallica fan at all, but Lars can respectfully lay down a completley solid beat that alot of rudiment "show-offers" can't do. Plus some of you aren't looking at the showmanship. If they're playing good solid drums and they're getting the crowd to move by throwing sticks, standing up, making there drums rotate above the crowd (tommy lee reference) that's half the battle. 95% of the population don't want to go see a drummer that is fundamentally good (on the other hand I do), they want a show.

Everyone's posts on here are respectfull. All the drummers mentioned have alot to offer, in some way or another.
hell, drums are the funnest and coolest instrument to play. Of course there's going to be a bunch of drummers that suck

Back