Ev-666

Shockwave

I've heard some great things about this mic. It takes a special xlr cable, UA-3-11. Anyone know where to get that? Anyone ever use the mic with comments? Thanks.

Dan

I think the plug is still available from EV, but is expensive....
Is *is* possible to mod an XLR...

I like the 666 alot...
Kick, bass cabs, anywhere you might use a RE20...

Shhhh. Let's not spread the word on these so the prices keep going up!

If you also go by "Costanza", I left my feedback at PSW for you.

Short version-yes it's excellent IMHO, however, once it's broken,
Electro-Voice no longer has parts, and they don't offer service support any more.

Chris

I don't know if I'm late on this one but, yeah, you can mod an XLR cable to work just fine....it's just a different pinout.

I have 2 of them...one with a normal cord and one with a modded XLR....just make a short one....maybe 3 feet or so and use it as sort of an adapter.

On the mic, pin 1 and 2 are the coil, and pin 3 is ground. So pin 3 goes to pin 1 on the XLR, and 1 and 2 go to the two signal pins (2 and 3) on the XLR.

It's easy enough and works normally though not exact "fit".

Cool mic though....I also have the original "spec" sheet in PDF format...let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

heylow

Yo Chessparov....

I don't know....spreading the word might do the opposite. You basically get a bunch of guys unearthing these things and finding every last working one on the planet because someone said they were cool....then what happens is the prices drop to rock bottom once most of these cats realize that they don't sound like the cheap condensers they're used to and can't WAIT to get rid of them!;)

heylow

Heylow, I want more EV 666's, MORE!

Seriously, other than the Sank modified Beyer's, they're the affordable alternative to the RCA 77DX type ribbon sound IMHO.

Chris

Yeah....they ARE pretty sweet. I'm not sure about the 77 reference...I mean, I don't DOUBT it...I just don't have a frame of reference.

I think they are a strange mic in the coolest of ways and I STILL haven't used them on a lot of things yet though I plan to.

I was lucky...I had gotten one off of EBAY for a "fair" price and then another came along that was broken or something and I had a funny feeling it wasn't actually "broken"...I don't know why...just a feeling. Anyway...so I buy it for stupid cheap, it comes and after a couple of emails to the very knowledgable Scott Dorsey, I find out that basically someone had tried to change the impedance (switchable inside) and f'ed it up. A couple of solder connections later, I have two identical sounding 666s. I guess that makes it sort of stereo 1332....or 121212 depending on how you look at it!

BTW, Chessparov....I know you'd appreciate this Variable Response, Baby!. I want one!!!

Also...go HERE and go down to the EV stuff. The mic above was a 667....notice how the 667A and the 668 start turning into the RE20. This makes some sense as Mr. Dorsey has told me that the closest modern relative to the 666 is the RE20!

Interesting, no?

heylow

Thanks Heylow.

That EV pre looks cool.
Have seen the vintage website before, the EV 667 IIRC has a slot for battery power for on location work.

First learned of the "77" connection through a post of Bob Ohlsson's on RAP.

Radio stations were tired of the RCA ribbons getting stretched and/or broken, so EV came up with the EV 666 as a more durable way of getting that kind of "sound".

Neumann rataliated with the U87, whereupon EV came up with the "condenser killer" RE20.
(in terms of radio announcing work)

Chris

P.S. They started the RE20 because the dies
for the EV 666 finally broke!

Hey Heylow

Nice site :cool:

Were the EV Ribbon mics any good?

Did Chesley Bonestell work as an Electro-Voice mic designer? :D

MARK!

What's up DOG?! I know YOU know where I got that URL from!:D

As far as the other questions....hey man...I'm just lookin' at the pretty pictures. Which brings me to:

Dang Chris!

I guess you have the cool old mic mythology/lore thing down....I should've known as much!;) As far as that info coming from Bob O....yeah....like I said.....I'M sure not disputing!

The EV pre thing.....d'ya think it's an actual pre? I didn't even think that far into it. I was stoked on the whole "response" thing...kind of a built in EQ....sure looks cool though! I'll bet you aren't finding one of those units around on ebay anytime soon.

Is that true at all about the dies? Wow.....

heylow

EV started the EV 666 in the mid fifties, and sold a gazillion to radio stations and TV stations.

You can see them at work in some of the Beatles pictures, like when they were interviewed the first time in the US, at New York.

Yes, it's reputed that EV's dies gave out, and rather than re-tool, they came out with the RE20. That some radio stations were going with the U87 was certainly a major factor too.

The RE20 has more top end response than the EV 666-not a "better" microphone, just different.
In fact, I think a large part of why it sounds like a
ribbon is that it "rolls off" around 16kHz ,as most
ribbons do. Great for crooning ala Bing! :)

Chris

Cool little article!

As far as crooning goes, yeah.....I don't do it like Bing, but I DO like my voice through the 666. So far, it's the favorite partly due to the fact that I DON'T like a lot of "sparkle" in my voice (too much throaty oddity) and partly because I like kind of a midrangey rock and roll sound. I've actualy wanted to try an RE20 just to hear the differences.

heylow

Back