Drum room help!

dwkman0117 said:
That's great to hear that I am not a complete idiot at mixing... I will try the additional suggestions you gave... did you happen to notice though, the great deal of blead on the snare? I might try turning that mic away more from the kit.. there was allot. Also maybe adding another audiobuddy. The tracks from that, snare-tom, seemed to be better quality.
by the way, I did give you the tracks after I had added some eq'ing and verb... I hope that wasn't a bad thing?

Thanks again for your help..
Yeah, behri are known for their shitty stuff, especially pres. So the audiobuddy is bound to be better. I'd suggest using the behri for toms, 'cause they don't matter as much, in my opinion. Yeah there was quite a bit of bleed. NL5, it's pretty difficult to bring down the OH, 'cause theres a lot of bleed. You bring the OH right out, and the cymbals/hats are still too loud.

dwkman, do you have pics of mic placement? If not, could you take some?

pandamonk said:
Yeah, behri are known for their shitty stuff, especially pres. So the audiobuddy is bound to be better. I'd suggest using the behri for toms, 'cause they don't matter as much, in my opinion. Yeah there was quite a bit of bleed. NL5, it's pretty difficult to bring down the OH, 'cause theres a lot of bleed. You bring the OH right out, and the cymbals/hats are still too loud.

dwkman, do you have pics of mic placement? If not, could you take some?
Next time I setup to record, this upcoming week, I will take a couple of pics.

thanks

pandamonk said:
Try working with what you've got, see where you get. Then try one with samples, if that's what you were planning :D

I'll do it both ways. (If he sends them)

NL5 said:
I'll do it both ways. (If he sends them)
I'll forward them if you want... But I'll make them mp3, 'cause I'm having trouble sending the wav.

Last edited:
Wow! Those tracks are WAY bad! Sorry. :(

There is more highhat in the snare track than there is snare. You need to post some pics of your mic setup, and we can help with that. That's where a lot of your phasing problems are coming from as well.

Here is a pic of some of my drum tracks. Notice the clearly defined snare hits. The Toms are the same way. There are No tom hits in the Tom1 track -

Attachments

• drums.JPG
    drums.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
NL5 said:

There is more highhat in the snare track than there is snare. You need to post some pics of your mic setup, and we can help with that. That's where a lot of your phasing problems are coming from as well.

Here is a pic of some of my drum tracks. Notice the clearly defined snare hits. The Toms are the same way. There are No tom hits in the Tom1 track -
That's what i was saying. You bring down the OH and you've still got too much cymbals n hats, lol. Btw i was using audacity to mix, so obviously i was very limited. What cubase is that?

NL5 said:

Sorry - I have been real busy lately and not on the BBS - Yes the snare has all of the bleed. The other drums seems to be ok. I will take a pic soon, but I have the mic on the top side of the snare at 12 o'clock. It is mounted on a tuning nut like the others. Pointing down towards the center of the head.

Super cardioid, with a 5-10dB boost at 2-10kHz, roughly. That might have something to do with it... Maybe if you use the mic you have on the snare on a tom, and get an sm57 for snare, you'll get better results.

I've played around with the track some more, especially eq and cut out huge parts on the tom tracks. I'll compare it with the original, and if i prefer it, i'll let you hear.

pandamonk said:
Super cardioid, with a 5-10dB boost at 2-10kHz, roughly. That might have something to do with it... Maybe if you use the mic you have on the snare on a tom, and get an sm57 for snare, you'll get better results.

I've played around with the track some more, especially eq and cut out huge parts on the tom tracks. I'll compare it with the original, and if i prefer it, i'll let you hear.

Thanks - I would be interested to hear it!
Is there anything, such as, mic positioning or placing something around it to try to reduce the bleeding.. until I buy a different mic?
Also - how do you feel about using Para eq? That is what I use through sonar home studio?

Last edited:
dwkman0117 said:
Thanks - I would be interested to hear it!
Is there anything, such as, mic positioning or placing something around it to try to reduce the bleeding.. until I buy a different mic?
Also - how do you feel about using Para eq? That is what I use through sonar home studio?
I've been (over)using a para eq, so i don't have much against it. Obviously you should try and get a good sound in tracking though, so you don't need to use much eq.

I don't really know what to suggest, as far as placement goes. Maybe have it at about 10 oclock and faced at more of an angle.

pandamonk said:
Right, here and here's a couple of attempts. You can really hear that I've EQ'd and gated everything, but nevermind.

I like the kick better on the 1st one you did... so, do you put a gate on the snare to try to kill the bleed?

dwkman0117 said:
I like the kick better on the 1st one you did... so, do you put a gate on the snare to try to kill the bleed?
Nah, don't have a gate in audacity, so just EQ'd out the hats, but that killed the sound of the snare. With the kick, i just brought out all frequencies except 60-80Hz, and around 3-4kHz. The toms i cut out all the bleed manually, and i reverse phased the second overhead, to give wide stereo sound.

pandamonk said:
Nah, don't have a gate in audacity, so just EQ'd out the hats, but that killed the sound of the snare. With the kick, i just brought out all frequencies except 60-80Hz, and around 3-4kHz. The toms i cut out all the bleed manually, and i reverse phased the second overhead, to give wide stereo sound.

Nice on the OH - I did the same thing here - I panned copies of the OH to either side and then phased one of them..

Hey, here a rookie question, " i just brought out all frequencies except 60-80Hz, and around 3-4kHz." how do you do that in para - can you send a pic of that or something... I always see reference to that for EQ, and I am not sure what to do...
Also, how did you remove the bleed manually on the toms?

Thanks again for all of your help

Back