Drum room help!

technominds said:
Im pretty sure I can get those drums sounding pretty good. e-mail the seperate parts to t_minds@hotmail.com and il give it a go (in my new studio :D)

I am curious to see what you can with my bad sounding drum tracks....

Hey, I was checking out your site - what are the heads you have on the drums?

dwkman0117 said:
I am curious to see what you can with my bad sounding drum tracks....

Hey, I was checking out your site - what are the heads you have on the drums?

I havent a clue, those drums are ancient and i bought the lots for £50.

Heres my attempt..

(at 5:30 in the morning:S )

On a quick check, ive realised my Gate on the OH was cutting in too much... but imagine thats not there... im off to bed!

:)

dwkman0117 said:
sounds pretty good - I can definitly here the gated oh.. it was cutting off real quick.. thanks
Yeh, but you don't really gate OH. I tend to gate the closemiked drums(if anything), then leave the OHs for the character of the room etc.

pandamonk said:
Yeh, but you don't really gate OH. I tend to gate the closemiked drums(if anything), then leave the OHs for the character of the room etc.
I agree - I don't like cymbals cutting off..

dwkman0117 said:
The dust and pic res are excused :P. You seem to be pointing away from the snare. You neeed to angle it down a lot more. Maybe even vertical. Your snare and toms are at quite an angle. Definitely need new heads too.

pandamonk said:
You seem to be pointing away from the snare. You angle it down a lot more. Maybe even almost vertical. Your snare and toms are at quite an angle too. Definitely need new heads too.

So, maybe raise the mic and have it pointing straight down at the drum instead of parrell to the head...

pandamonk said:
exactly :D. Parallel is not wot u want at all.

cool - I will see if I can raise them as to get the angle I want. What about the placement on the drums? Meaning the snare at about 12o'clock?

dwkman0117 said:
cool - I will see if I can raise them as to get the angle I want. What about the placement on the drums? Meaning the snare at about 12o'clock?
Probably more like 10-11 oclock

The pictures give a clearer visual of the problems. For a good drum recording the first thing you need is a good sounding kit. No matter how good the mics or the positioning the drums will still sound bad. The front skin on the bass drum with the port. Move the port so it sits around 2 o'clock. Next take out the stuff in the bass drum and put in one blanket or towel and lay it on the bottum touching both skins. It sounds like you have too much touching both skins. The reason for moving the port higher is. The closer you are to the dampenning material with the mic the less resonance you pick up from the drum. Your drum need new skins on both sides. Putting pinstripes on the bottum of the drums kills the tone of the drum The top heads look pretty beat.(pardon the pun) If your not very good at tuning your drums pay someone at a drum shop to do it for you. You will be surprised how good even a cheap kit can sound. I also point the mics at the center of the skins. ;)
Here is a pic of my kit look at the tom mics.
Drums1.jpg

Here is a couple of clips of that drum set. The Drums raw clip is just the mics no eq or processing. Straight to track. The Drums Processed clip speaks for its self. This is a $850 kit new. The skins are Chinese cheap skins from Remo. The kit has been tuned some what. check it out.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234255

Last edited:
hoops said:
The pictures give a clearer visual of the problems. For a good drum recording the first thing you need is a good sounding kit. No matter how good the mics or the positioning the drums will still sound bad. The front skin on the bass drum with the port. Move the port so it sits around 2 o'clock. Next take out the stuff in the bass drum and put in one blanket or towel and lay it on the bottum touching both skins. It sounds like you have too much touching both skins. The reason for moving the port higher is. The closer you are to the dampenning material with the mic the less resonance you pick up from the drum. Your drum need new skins on both sides. Putting pinstripes on the bottum of the drums kills the tone of the drum The top heads look pretty beat.(pardon the pun) If your not very good at tuning your drums pay someone at a drum shop to do it for you. You will be surprised how good even a cheap kit can sound. I also point the mics at the center of the skins. ;)
Drums1.jpg

Here is a couple of clips of that drum set. The Drums raw clip is just the mics no eq or processing. Straight to track. The Drums Processed clip speaks for its self. This is a $850 kit new. The skins are Chinese cheap skins from Remo. The kit has been tuned some what. check it out.

That kit sounds real nice !!
I will make the changes you talked about - the kick, the heads, mic placement and tuning...
thanks for the help

hoops said:
Drums1.jpg

That's a nice looking kit. Sounds pretty good too. Can't wait to get my studio finished now :D. Not played my pearl for years, and I just wanna polish it up n tune it nice.

Back