can't pan recordings...

brandonkrause

I am using a Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro and running the 1/4" mains into a 1/8" stereo adapter to the line in on my soundcard and recording with 2 tracks (1 left and 1 right) on Cakewalk 9. My problem is that it won't pan anything. Is my mixer supposed to show only the left LED's go up if I pan to the left or should both left and right go up. I am also wondering if you pan something do soundcards have stereo line in's?... I have 3 different sound cards and also have on-board sound and they all do the same thing... Please tell me how to set my mixer or sound card to enable me to hear that something is panned. :confused:

Your questions don't make a lot of sense. Where are you having the panning problem? In Cakewalk Pro Audio 9?

Describe what you are trying to accomplish a little better. What is plugged into the Behringer?

My problem is, when I go into Cakewalk 9 and choose the left channel of my sound card for track 1 and the right channel for track 2, the sound is somehow blended or something and the left channel and right channel are each in stereo. I have all of my drum mics, guitar mics, and vocal mics plugged into the Behringer. I figured out how to pan on my mixer. Then I send the L & R mains from the Behringer to a stereo adapter cable (two 1/4" mono's to one 1/8" stereo plug). I then put that plug into the line in or mic channel. (I've tried both line in and mic on a few different sound cards). I just can't figure out why in Cakewalk it won't pan anything. The sliders to pan move and everything but even if I hard pan left on my mixer and left on Cakewalk, things that are panned right will be heard in the left channel...

In order to keep channel 1 and 2 separate, you need to pan the sound you want on channel 1 to the left on you hardware mixer and the stuff you want on channel 2 to the right on your hardware mixer. Channel 1 and 2 in cakewalk should be mono cannels.
If you don't separate the sounds before you send it to the computer, you will be stuck.

brandonkrause said:
. Is my mixer supposed to show only the left LED's go up if I pan to the left or should both left and right go up. :
If you pan something all the way left, only the left leds are supposed to light. If you pan something to the right, only the right leds should light.

brandonkrause said:
My problem is, when I go into Cakewalk 9 and choose the left channel of my sound card for track 1 and the right channel for track 2, the sound is somehow blended or something and the left channel and right channel are each in stereo. I have all of my drum mics, guitar mics, and vocal mics plugged into the Behringer. I figured out how to pan on my mixer. Then I send the L & R mains from the Behringer to a stereo adapter cable (two 1/4" mono's to one 1/8" stereo plug). I then put that plug into the line in or mic channel. (I've tried both line in and mic on a few different sound cards). I just can't figure out why in Cakewalk it won't pan anything. The sliders to pan move and everything but even if I hard pan left on my mixer and left on Cakewalk, things that are panned right will be heard in the left channel...

You told me what I am asking. I know that if things are panned on my Behringer they should be heard panned correctly in 2 seperate mono channels (one left and one right) each panned hard left and hard right. My problem is that if I pan something hard left and something else hard right on my Behringer, when I bring it up in Cakewalk as 2 seperate tracks (one left panned hard left, and one right panned hard right), I can hear stuff from the right side on the mono left side panned hard left. Does anybody follow me?...

brandonkrause said:
You told me what I am asking. I know that if things are panned on my Behringer they should be heard panned correctly in 2 seperate mono channels (one left and one right) each panned hard left and hard right. My problem is that if I pan something hard left and something else hard right on my Behringer, when I bring it up in Cakewalk as 2 seperate tracks (one left panned hard left, and one right panned hard right), I can hear stuff from the right side on the mono left side panned hard left. Does anybody follow me?...
If you mute the left track, do you still hear it on the right?

yes, I hear the left track on the right, even though the right track is chosen as "right" and it is panned hard right on my Behringer and in Cakewalk

wait..... i know my line in is stereo and my plug is stereo... but when i go into cakewalk and choose one channel for left and one for right i can unplug my right cable from my mixer and both bars still go up...?

it's not a problem with the windows mixer or monitors or sound output. i can't get the signals in individually. i can listen to music and hear that other bands' songs are in stereo perfectly fine...

i've tried using two different sound cards and having only the left signal from the mixer to 1 line in and only the right signal from the mixer to the other sound cards line in, and when i bring it up in cakewalk each sound card still has the other side's signal?..... it's hard to explain, i've never heard of anything like this before

WAIT A MINUTE!!! the behringer has direct outs....put your 1/4s in the direct out of channel 1 and the direct out of channel 2. and then try panning left and right on the channels

Back