Brass Snares

Eh...#@$% Brass. Go with the Starclassic Copper. Does everything a brass will do, without as many of the shrill overtones. Plus...it will tune lower. The differences are subtle yes, but they are there. At $330 or so, it also falls well within your budget.

Attachments

• HPIM0607 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0607 (Medium).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 98
that looks like a hell of a drum for $330, die cast hoops and all. i'll definitely look into it, thanks!

Man...die-cast hoops...satin-finish hardware...a thicker than normal 1.5mm shell...self-locking tension rods....dual-tensioning strainer...awesome finish.

It's the 'perfect drum'. Seriously...I'm so hooked on this thing. Now I realize we may have a few individuals who disagree, but for the vast majority of drummers out there... THIS is the snare they've been looking for. It has the warmth and roundness of maple, with the articulation and presence of steel. Plenty of volume, but sensitive enough to respond to the most delicate sticking.

No shit. Ideal for neither the heaviest of rockers nor the softest of jazzers, but for everyone else...perfect.

man you really know how to sell a drum! haha but i can't find anywhere that sells them new other than Mass Music, so i dunno if any stores locally might have it in stock. hmmm...

got a sound clip? i did notice on that Pearl Reference brass i tried over the weekend that it had "shrill overtones" as you described, but i just figured it was probably tuned too high, or maybe because it was a smaller 14x5 shell. man if they made that Starclassic Copper in 14x6.5 or 7 i'd have one in my cyber shopping cart right now! i wanna try it out first though.

i wonder how it compares to the Starclassic brass? they have a 1.5mm brass snare too, same price, although the brushed copper looks way better than the chromed brass.

I played both before going with the Copper, and yes it came down to finish. The Brass was a hair brighter and more ringy, but that may have been because I was expecting it to be. The Copper looks soooooooo much better. Oh yeah...and while that soundfile is as 'accurate' as any...audio cannot convey how a drum feels under the sticks.

The Copper man...it just begs for it.

so would you say it has pretty good projection? that was one of my main concerns here was getting something thats gonna be louder than my Pacific birch snare. and from that sound file it sounds like it has very good sensitivity. so far this copper snare is looking more and more appealing to me.

Oh man...it has great projection. I bought this to sorta replace my Valkyrie...which is nothing but projection. The Copper doesn't cut quite as well, but it compensates with tone and sensitivity. If the Starclassic Copper does not project better than your Pacific Birch, I will dip my balls in honey and suspend my naked ass over a cage of hungry bears. Deal?

Here's another clip, with the drum tuned slightly higher for a little more pop:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dxytaeyynzm

okay, i'm gonna give this Starclassic Copper a shot! ordered from Colorado Drum and it should get here within the next couple weeks. was hard to find one of these for sale, but i got a good deal at $294 with free shipping, woohoo. can't wait to try it out, it sounds great from the clips, and to me seemed like a whole lot of drum for the price. thanks for all the help everyone.

So how's that new snare?

its freakin AWESOME. tons of crack, i've tried a few tunings and right now i have it up kinda high. very loud, and sounds cool with my drumset. i gotta take some pictures and maybe some sound samples too. coming up soon. :cool:

check this baby out!

drums00033c.jpg

i love this snare, it looks and sounds bad ass.

here's the latest kit setup:

drums00028.jpg

sound clips coming someday when i get the home studio back up and running!

Nice man. I just got a brass snare too. I haven't played it yet. I'll be pounding on it today.

P.S. - You need more tom angle. :D

dammit greg they don't NEED angle cuz i play above the damn kit! see how small those things are? haha

i put some coated EC1 on the toms, and i didn't really like em, but when they were mic'd up they sounded really cool. think i might go back to clears.

oh and thanks for the compliments everyone :D

Back