At last I started to build my own studio.....

sausy1981

Hi all.... I've been homerecording for the last 7 - 8 years and finally I'm getting the chance to build my own small, modest home recording studio in the garden...
I'm not a pro, recording is just my hobby and my passion so this build won't be to the same extent as some of the fabulous places in the studio building forum....
I'm a singer/songwriter. I don't record drums as I use EZ drummer for my drum tracks. I'll be making an amp isolation box for my guitar amps and the room should hold in enough sound so that I can record vocals in the room, so sound isolation isn't a major issue.
I'll be recording and mixing all in the one space and have been looking at some articles on dead end, live end designs for rooms that are used this way...
Anyway here are the first couple of pics, only started 3 days ago and hoping to be finished by the end of the month...

Attachments

• DSC02125.JPG
    DSC02125.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC02126.JPG
    DSC02126.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC02127.JPG
    DSC02127.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC02128.JPG
    DSC02128.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC02129.JPG
    DSC02129.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC02130.JPG
    DSC02130.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC02134.JPG
    DSC02134.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC02135.JPG
    DSC02135.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 442
Yeah I hope it comes out like you plan.
What kinda roof you putting on?
Gonna be a flat roof torch on felt over 3/4 inch marine ply. The joists will be 6 x 2 roll wool insulation in between, also the ceiling will be 38mm insulated plaster board...

Brickys second day is over, We will be finished brickwork tomorrow, then on wednesday the roof starts going on....

Attachments

• DSC02159.JPG
    DSC02159.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC02160.JPG
    DSC02160.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 358
Nice work! Quite jealous.
But won't your neighbors be complaining you're building a 'second house' in your small garden? Can you just do something like that where you live? Can't imagine I would try something like that. People would be all over me. Unless It was on a construction site or built with strict rules or something.

Nice work! Quite jealous.
But won't your neighbors be complaining you're building a 'second house' in your small garden? Can you just do something like that where you live? Can't imagine I would try something like that. People would be all over me. Unless It was on a construction site or built with strict rules or something.
As you can see from the pic, I'm the third person in the vicinity to do this, It's in my back garden, It's single story, and the floor space is below building regs, also there will be no toilet in it.. All of these things make it ok to build....

Hell yeah dude!
A worthy endeavor indeed. :D

I dig studio build threads so I'll be following along too.

Kudos man.

Hell yeah dude!
A worthy endeavor indeed. :D

I dig studio build threads so I'll be following along too.

Kudos man.

Cheers brother, Getting it built is the main thing, should be in it by the middle of march, and then there will probably be a few months of tweaking the inside with acoustic treatments, Building an isolation box for my amps and things of that nature, But I'm really excited about having this space, it's been a dream of mine for god knows how many years and I'm really lucky that I got the chance to do it...

Here's the work we did on the roof yesterday, We also closed off the reveals at the window and door so their ready to go in, we have to fish boarding the roof, do the facia, roll it with bitumen primer and then lay the torch on felt...
DSC02163.JPGDSC02164.JPGDSC02166.JPG

It will double nicely as a bunker/bomb shelter if you're also a doomsday prepper type. :D ;)

Seriously though....that's nice you can do that. Here, as soon as you run electric, you cross the line of regs/codes/permits, not to mention distance to existing neighbor's property lines...etc...etc.

How big is it actually?
From the pics I would guess it's about 14' x 10' and 8' high...?
It's going to be a bit tight in there by the time it's finished and you add trapping, but I guess it's a fair trade-off to having your own studio space.

Are you not able to raise the roof...or at least make it a peak rather than a flat one...?

You got the dimensions spot on miroslav, I'm not recording drums as I use ez drummer for my drum tracks and it's gonna be a live end dead end room for tracking and mixing, For the last few years I've got by in a room that is 6ft wide and 8 ft long so this space will do fine..... As for the roof I decided on a flat cos if I went for a peak I would have to get planning permission. The window is positioned there dogbreath cos my desk will be on the left of the room with the speakers shooting to the right, I didn't want the window to be anywhere near my reflection points as I'll be placing acoustic treatment there.. Also I wanted the window nice and small, as none of my gear will fit through it so it's better for security...

Back