At last I started to build my own studio.....

I was just messin with ya... :)

don't forget the lava lamp.

:D
ha ha, I'll be having more than 1 lava lamp... As regards the window, it's just everyone who doesnt understand what I'm using the room for is asking me why there's only 1 window, why is it so small, and why it's so close to the door. and instead of trying to explain acoustics, and first reflection points etc... I just tell them that thats just the way it is...

I'm sitting reading this in a single skin brick garage near Belfast.
It's foooooking freezing man.
I hear ya brother, people don't realize how cold our Irish weather can be... Our insulation isn't for acoustics or soundproofing, it's to keep us warm.....

Looking good, hope you keep us in the circle so we can live our dreams through you . . . nice work, wish I could afford to do something like that.

Another goal to cross off of "The Bucket List." I hope to build my own one day. Inspiration... Thank you.

Wow!

Several things I noticed. I'm worried about the size of the room once finished. The closer together the walls are, the deader you need the room to be. Second, I'll tell you about a great vocal booth I built in a room about 12'x20'. (It had two layers of sound stop on the walls and then we stapled muslin drop cloths onto the walls.)We constructed two 4x8' panels made of dense construction styrofoam with sound stop covered in muslin on either side and a 3'x4' double panel plexiglass window at one end. We hinged these, covered the hinged joints with dense rubber flaps applied with the panels at 90 degrees so they would flex as your set the angles. We pushed that up against a wall and angled the other panel to allow the singer to move in and out. We could always close the panel completely if necessary. That made a faux isolation vocal booth that would set back into the corner hinged at 90 degrees if we needed more room. We threw a large panel of styrofoam on top during recording. I love your dedication and your efforts in actually building a room. Remember, though. To your wife, that's always going to look like her new sewing room, LOL
Rod Norman

Nice work Sausy. I'm sure you've thought of this but I'll say it anyway: don't forget to provide some sort of air flow system. From all the plans you've made I'm sure that was included but you'd be amazed at how many home studio builders overlook that and end up suffocating in their dream studio! Good luck and keep the pictures coming!
Rblooz

So True!

Nice work Sausy. I'm sure you've thought of this but I'll say it anyway: don't forget to provide some sort of air flow system. From all the plans you've made I'm sure that was included but you'd be amazed at how many home studio builders overlook that and end up suffocating in their dream studio! Good luck and keep the pictures coming!
Rblooz

I just want to add that it's surprising how hot a small room gets with all that electronic equipment and one or two warm bodies. I installed two Mitsubishi-type wall-mounted a.c. units to keep my room comfortable. Even though they're pretty quiet, they're still too noisy for critical mic recording so I turn them off and on during sessions. My air handling system is separate with an inflow and outflow vents leading from/to lengthy exterior ducting which eliminates sound leakage.

Here's an update, The roof is now complete and insulated inside, We've also run the wiring inside and as you can see we put in the window. Next steps are to put the door in then plasterboard the inside, we're using insulated plasterboard, Then electrical power will be run from the house to the studio. Hoping to have this all done by the end of this weekend and then next week we plaster the outside and thats it, Then I have to fit out the inside, Paint, wooden floor etc.... Been hard the last week, my dad has been seriously ill and my daughter has also been ill, Both ok now so concentration back on the build...
DSC02170.JPGDSC02167.JPGDSC02168.JPGDSC02169.JPG

Ok so now we've boarded the inside and ran all the wires for sockets, plugs and switches.... Tomorrow I'm gonna run the cable from the house to the room to get it ready to be connected for power on wednesday, I'm also gonna tape the joints of the plasterboard ready for plaster and I'm gonna clean up and pour the floor levelling compound...
525225_10151345062534541_177784325_n.jpg544610_10151343480654541_154221851_n.jpg549343_10151345062929541_724771305_n.jpg559822_10151345064714541_2134329335_n.jpg

Back