Another mix to practice with

timthetortoise

MADE OF SANDALWOOD
Almighty Flying Machine - Homeowner's Association (375 MB zip)
Quick MP3 mix by yours truly
I don't really intend for this to be a contest (unless some people want to judge), just another band for people to practice with as it's a good idea to get your hands dirty with as many styles as possible.
This is an indie band that I recorded a few years back when I was still learning some of the basics. There are a couple of not-so-good edits, and an apparent attempt at autotuning the vocals that I can't undo (did this project in Cubase SX2, only recently opened with SX3). This band is no longer around, but the usual don't claim this as your own because it is copyrighted material still stands. I will say, the vocals are optional. It was very rushed and the band broke up before we could even finish the vocal tracking, so it's definitely rough. If you don't feel like putting them into your mix, don't. If you feel like recording new vocals, go for it. Really, do whatever you want in your mix. Have a blast with it and hopefully learn some of what NOT to do when recording bands!

PS: I didn't get a chance to thoroughly check the renders, so if there's anything wrong with them, let me know and I'll fix them up

And as always, huge thanks to NL5 for hosting the files

Last edited:
Hmmm, I guess being able to hear the song without downloading a huge file would inspire some people to try. Updated with a link to a quick mix

Hm... they're standard wav files... anyone else having trouble? Unfortunately I don't have PT so I can't test, but it works fine in Cubase and Reaper for me...

Works fine here, too. Maybe your version of Protools doesn't support 32 bit files or something?

(They were 32 bit, right? I've done a lot since I looked at them, lol).

You right, just 24bit. I work on ProTools LE.

I can hear the tracks in the Mac but not import the files... hmmm... maybe if I convert those archives to uncompressed mp3 files... I'll do that this weekend.

Thanx for the quick mix. It has a smashin pumpkins flavor. I'll try my hand at this in a bit I hope if time allows.

I did a real quick mix, probably all I'll do on this -

Hey man, you're always uploading GOOD mixes... I'm learning with some of your advices and posts... Now, I really like what you did to this song, and I have a few questions:

1. First off... your mix sounds LOUD, some Maximizer out there?
2. What about the snare, how's your balance of top/bottom and EQ?
3. We all now the voice was terrible... it seems you added some nice reverb... am I wrong?

Thanks!

1. First off... your mix sounds LOUD, some Maximizer out there? - Yep

2. What about the snare, how's your balance of top/bottom and EQ? - a bit more of the top with a pretty good boost at 3.2 khz - I also fixed the phase problem, that made the biggest difference. Added some plate and med hall. No eq on the bottom track, no compression on either.

3. We all now the voice was terrible... it seems you added some nice reverb... am I wrong? - Lots of reverb added - a plate, a med hall, and a large hall, as well as some harmonizing and a bit of chorus - I also smashed the heck out of it with a comp.

Hope that helps! :D

I also fixed the phase problem, that made the biggest difference.

I know, sound great... I'm new to that kind of problems... err... I KNOT that it sounds great but I cannot HEAR the phase problem when I am in the mixing process... and how to resolve it... :confused:

I know, sound great... I'm new to that kind of problems... err... I KNOT that it sounds great but I cannot HEAR the phase problem when I am in the mixing process... and how to resolve it... :confused:

I can't really explain how to hear it. It just has a "sound". Depending on exactly the problem, the sound is different. The snare just had no snap to it. In these tracks the OH's were flipped 180 from the snare tracks. So I flipped them. Then, I also took and time aligned the OH's and the snare tracks by zooming in on the wav.

Back