AKG Perception 220

I have a perception 100, it's been durable(I've had it for 7 years, It was dropped from 15 feet and still works) but it accentuates sibilance so I have to EQ the higher freq's. Other than that it sounds OK, the 220 may be better since it has roll off switches and such.....

I got a great deal on a barely-used one on Ebay and have used it a few times so far. A nice difference for vocals from the dynamics I was using. Sucker is heavy, though, so requires good boomstand balancing.

I think the Perception line of mics are pretty good for the money. The 220 is a good bang for buck mic and if you buy used, it can be had for a good price if you look around. Also been using the 170 on acoustic and it sounds good as well.... GB

I find the perceptions to be quite warm for a LDC bit more low mids, great on guitar, with a bright mic in ab, the perception gets loads of body warmth and the higher pair gets the high string sounds. Then mix to taste

I have the 200 model and although not sure what is changed by adding the 20 at the end, but I think it a very nice mic for the price. That said, you might want a warm tube pre-amp to smooth it out a bit.

I'm on the fence right now about the AKG 120 or the 220. Will be recording maybe a little vocals but it'll mostly be for acoustic (mostly nylon strings, but some steel string as well) guitar, trumpet (possibly other horns) and my talk box for my electric.

My question is is is the 220 worth the extra $$$ over the 120? I've heard small diaphragm mics are better for guitars than large diaphragm. The 120 seems to sound great from what I've listened to online but I just wonder if it's worth it to drop the extra dough on the 220. Especially considering that I'll only have the one mic for now and it will be used for multiple purposes.

Can't make up my mind? What do y'all think.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Looks similarly priced to the 220 and is made in Austria vs China. Not sure what difference that makes... probably less lead in the Austrian one. Kind of Arnold Schwarzenegger vs Jet Li. But young, Hercules-Arnold... not old Governor Arnold... My brain just skipped off the track again, didn't it?

Still wondering, though, if the quality difference is worth the extra $$$. I can get the 120 for around 100 or the 220 for 150-180. The C2000B is 170-200. I'm kinda broke, y'know, so... $100 isn't too bad... closer to $200 is kinda pushing my budget for a mic right now.

Anyway I'll see what I can learn about it. Hope to be making a purchase soon.

Amazon.com

I bought mine at Amazon.com. Got a significant discount off the list price and free shipping. Came in a nice case as well.

Back