“clean” settings on the Solo 610 preamp

gehauser

I record a lot of bluegrass and old-time acoustic instruments.

With the Solo 610 preamp, I typically set the gain knob to get the sound I want, then get the recording level I need with the level knob. I generally follow the notion that 0-5 gain on the Solo 610 is “clean” and 5-10 gain is “dirty”. When I record acoustic guitar (strummed or flatpicked), I believe I hear slight distortion in the 4-5 gain range, so I generally use ~4 to stay clean. I often compare the recordings to those with a Sytek MPX 4Aii or Grace m101, where I never hear distortion. So I am curious to hear what Solo 610 settings others use for a “clean” acoustic guitar sound.

Here is what I typically use for “clean” acoustic:
Gain: 4
Level: 8-9
Imp: lo-Z
HPF: flat

Also, I notice that when I record in a large high-ceiling room with good reverb, I end up hearing less of this reverb in the Solo 610 recording than in those using the Sytek or Grace. Like the Sytek and Grace are better at preserving it.

I love the 610 acoustic guitar sound on the “clean” settings – it just sounds bigger/fuller than the Sytek or Grace. But I don’t like the loss of the nice reverb in a good sounding room.

So my questions to other Solo 610 users are:

What settings do you use for “clean” acoustic guitar?

Have you noticed that natural reverb is better preserved in a clean solid state preamp than in the 610?

Is this loss of reverb because 610’s transient response is so much slower than the Sytek or Grace?

Back