What are your greatest songs (covers) to play on acoustic guitars for your own fun ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaron

Hey !

Some songs we play on our acoustic guitars give us the thrills when we strum or pick theirs chords. Sometimes it's the song itself (the magic of song composing), but other times it's the sound the chords produce and the way they feed each other, the resonnance, the finger work on the neck, the alternate tunings yielding refreshing new sonic possibilities. And also...the acoustic guitar arrangment we do of an electric guitar song.

For example, and I've mentionned this in another thread, for me playing "Hope" from Rush is a blast not only for what my fingers do but mostly for the beauty of the sounds produced (great alternate tuning producing the sound of a 12 string)

Other songs that comes to my memory right now:

"Hole hearted"(Extreme), "Kashmir", "Friends", "Gallows pole", "No quarter" & "Rain song"(Led Zep), "The tress" & "Natural science"(Rush), "Little wing"(Hendrix), "Old man", "Cortez the killer"(Neil young), "Train kept a rollin"(Aerosmith).....and I forget many more right now.

ANyway, it would be very interesting to read about your own.....

Hole hearted by extreme is my fav. I also like my own song, irs kinda like hole hearted.

Yeah, for Hole hearted, I just love those first 2-3 chords that open up the song. Extremly (!) simple but so efficient in preparing the crazy cool funk part that follows. Great song....my fingers and my soul love playing it !

If I dare say that Nuno Bettencourt is great, I'm afraid people responding to this thread will start discussing about Bettencourt prowess, or how they hate him and whatnot, forgetting that the goal of this thread really is to talk about those songs (covers) we love playing and the reasons why.

Let's stay focussed !

"Rain song"...I play it in DGCGCD....easy song to play and great sounding. It's got a soul in its own and as such has a good place in my museum of the great songs. Just my opinion.

doh.gif

*ignoring muttley*

I ask because I learnt to play it many years ago, before this newfangled interweb thing, from the Led Zeppelin Complete songbook which I saved up my pennies for, and it was not tabbed out, but used standard musical notation with chord diagrams - and those chord diagrams were in STANDARD TUNING :( ... and so I learnt to play it in standard tuning because I didn't know better at the time, even though I knew it was impossible to get the exact legato effect of various bits in the end in that tuning...

Years later I found the transcription on the web in the correct tuning, and you're right, it's easy, but I don't play it enough, and I don't use that tuning for anything else, so I stick to standard, which is actually reasonably difficult.

Wouldn't mind but it was the official songbook. Who do I sue? :laughings:

While both are pretty good unfortunately you would feature low down on my list of debtors.

Well never mind then ....

I'm sure this thread would be doing much better in terms of its original intent if we didn't have this silly acoustic forum... although it is a bit gay.... no-one's said Kumbaya yet...

Well never mind then ....

I'm sure this thread would be doing much better in terms of its original intent if we didn't have this silly acoustic forum... although it is a bit gay.... no-one's said Kumbaya yet...

They did in the other "# What are your greatest songs (covers) to play on acoustic guitars for your own fun ?" thread in the other guitar form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back